View Full Version : Does anyone in our armed forces NOT think like this?

RobinXe
10th Jan 2008, 01:15
If not, why not, and if we all do, what are we doing bound up in an apolitical organisation when we should be running the country? :}

http://www.grumpyoldsod.com/flashman.asp

pr00ne
10th Jan 2008, 04:09
UTTER STUFF AND NONSENSE!

Daily Mail tosh..................................

zedder
10th Jan 2008, 06:45
That PC should have become acceptable in Britain is a glaring symptom of the country's decline. No generation has seen their country so altered, so turned upside down, as children like me born in the 20 years between the two world wars. In our adult lives Britain's entire national spirit, its philosophy, values and standards, have changed beyond belief.

Probably no country on earth has experienced such a revolution in thought and outlook and behaviour in so short a space. Other lands have known what seem to be greater upheavals, the result of wars and revolutions, but these do not compare with the experience of a country which passed in less than a lifetime from being the mightiest empire in history, governing a quarter of mankind, to being a feeble little offshore island whose so-called leaders have lost the will and the courage, indeed the ability, to govern at all.

I thought it was a good read and particularly liked the section above. Is the truth hurting pr00ne? Are you a PC crusader?

green granite
10th Jan 2008, 07:33
That section is indeed very apt, it's also why we pay so much in the way of taxes. It's to keep the :mad:ers who think up the next piece of stupid huggyfluff legislation paid.

exeng
10th Jan 2008, 08:28
A good read where I found myself worryingly muttering under my breath "and another thing".

Regards
Exeng

Romeo Oscar Golf
10th Jan 2008, 12:00
pr00neUTTER STUFF AND NONSENSE!

I guess not everybody agrees. For my part, it's smack on!! (pun intended):ok:

November4
10th Jan 2008, 16:08
Damn history. Let's pretend it didn't happen because we don't like the look of it.

How true.....just look at the arguements over the Dambusters film script

Two's in
11th Jan 2008, 00:43
Here's why everybody "mutters" and nothing changes...

http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/area/uk/turnout.htm

...self inflicted wounds.

BEagle
11th Jan 2008, 06:49
Most of the decline has happened since Mad old Maggie left office - we've suffered the worst of it under the yoke of the despised NuLabor.

Whether Comrade pr00ne likes it or not.......

Now we have the creeping cancer of the Euro-superstate to look out for. Most of us are happy with a European Economic Community, but the increasing Eurocracy being spawned is another matter!

Whenurhappy
11th Jan 2008, 11:07
I enjoyed reading the attachment - good staff, but it did remind me of a Mel Smith sketch many years ago on 'Not the Nine O'clock News'. He was a Tory politician talking to the camera, along the lines of:

'An old lady stopped me on the street the other day and said 'Why, oh why, can't things be like they used to be?'

So I took away her pension book and sent her grandson up a chimney!'

Life in the past wasn't always quite so rosy - for many it was a grinding life of stultifying social conventions.

Kitbag
11th Jan 2008, 11:56
Life in the past wasn't always quite so rosy - for many it was a grinding life of stultifying social conventions

Aye but at least we knew our place and were happy with our lot 'cos our masters said we should be;)

Green Flash
11th Jan 2008, 18:54
(Flat Cap/Whippet ON)

And you tell the kids of today - and they don't believe you.

(Flat Cap/Whippet OFF)

Biggles225
20th Mar 2008, 21:33
Robin,
Thanks for that link, its priceless :D

Beatriz Fontana
20th Mar 2008, 21:46
When government doesn't agree with the people,
it's time to change the people - Bertolt Brecht

Blimey, don't tell Gordon about that!!

snakepit
20th Mar 2008, 22:46
There are times when I find it hard to describe what is wrong with Great Britain but I think that George MacDonald Fraser has summed a lot of it up.

He may have also accidentally stumbled upon the root cause of the disaffection with which the majority of today’s armed forces view their senior officers and government.

Genius.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
21st Mar 2008, 01:47
I sometimes think we confuse economic wellbeing with moral and, dare I say it, tribal backbone.

We may be materially and economically better off now but are we not becoming feckless and self centred in the process? Was it not H Macmillan who was buried for daring to say that we'd never had it so good? That was shortly before the "swinging sixties" when most people didn't give a flying f**k beyond anything other than enjoying themselves. If the Victorians and Edwardians had thought that way, we would now have parity with Romania.

OK, the working classes in the mills, ironworks, factories and fields around us lived through hell; but if we had the same pioneering spirit mixed with human compassion, would we be wringing our hands over "credit crunch", falling US economy and the general World turmoil as we do now?

When a Nation looses identity with its military ethos, it's buggered.

21st Mar 2008, 07:32
From an ex-military type perspective, what scares me is the way history seems to be repeating itself. Rome in its heyday was quite something, and its army professional far beyond any of its protagonists. But the army, manning the far flung frontiers of Empire, maintained that professionalism protecting a home base that imploded and eventually collapsed as the population at home became increasingly self indulgent and self absorbed, demanding handouts and amusement (“bread and circuses”) from its government without feeling any need to contribute anything to society in the first place. (Does any of that sound just a little familiar to anyone who wears a uniform?)

The legions came home to find a Rome nothing like the Rome they had left, with politicians pandering to the masses with handouts they didn’t have the money to pay for, so they strangled the military budget to fund the increasingly generous handouts to a population that increasingly came to see these handouts as their God-given right. (Hmmm... That would never happen today... ... would it?)

I’m from the colonies, (Australia, although I haven’t lived there for some years), and I’m saddened to say we’re not far behind the Mother Country in what G.M. Fraser complains about – this new religion of Political Correctness. No one dares to naysay any example of it, no matter how ridiculous it may be, for fear of being immediately branded a racist or something equally damning in the eyes of this new PC society. (And in this new religion, only white people, it would seem, can be “racist”.) So the ‘silent majority’ - (and I suspect they are a very large majority) - just ignore it and pretend it isn’t happening, to the point where I’m reminded of the quite famous poem about the gradual Nazification of the Christian churches in Germany in the 1930s by Pastor Friedrich Niemöller: “First they came for the Jews... and I did nothing, because I wasn’t a Jew, then they came for the... and I did nothing... .. and when they came for me, there was no one was left...”.

I was visiting Sydney in January and nearly foamed at the mouth when the ‘sorry’ sign was written in the sky – twice – over the city during the Australia Day celebrations, almost certainly with taxpayers’ money. I was out on the harbour with a couple of hundred thousand others, on a boat that held about five hundred people. Everyone – and I mean everyone - else on the boat behaved as if they hadn’t even seen the large sign being written in the sky . It scarily reminded me of what I’d seen in the southern states in the US, where black and white co-exist, but eerily, almost never acknowledging that the other race is there on the same street. It’s really spooky, and I fear that with our Political Correctness and the ‘sorry’ culture that well-meaning people (most of whom have no idea what they’re on about) are forcing onto a mainly unresponsive – (and certainly not sorry!) – population, we seem to be heading in the same direction.

Zoom
24th Mar 2008, 14:53
Agree with you, Strongbow. I would like to be able to say that, for all its weaknesses, the UK is a good place to live. But I can't because it isn't. I don't know where is, or whether I would want to live there, or whether I would be happier there than here or whether I would even be accepted. Cr*p, that's how I feel.

Not that I'm complaining, understand.

Sunray Minor
24th Mar 2008, 15:38
Zedder,

The section you quote sounds like the biggest bunch of sour-grapes ever. To honestly say that the UK has had it bad, is small minded in the extreme.

passed in less than a lifetime from being the mightiest empire in history, governing a quarter of mankind, to being a feeble little offshore island whose so-called leaders have lost the will and the courage, indeed the ability, to govern at all.

Oh dear, how sad. You don't get to be an empire any more, running colonies and extracting labour and produce from dominions. How tough it must be.

For an example of self-centred Britain, look no further than Maggie and the 80s, personal profit above all else, sod community.

Strictly Jungly
25th Mar 2008, 13:57
Sunray Minor said:

"For an example of self-centred Britain, look no further than Maggie and the 80s, personal profit above all else, sod community. "

In direct comparison to Nu-Labour who (only)appear to care for community, with their "initiatives" (that acheive diddly squat). Their female ministers who are wholly in-effective and were only employed on gender and not on ability. They are the masters of Spin and deceit. Personal Profit? Don't make me laugh, take a look at Kinnock, Mandelson et al who raped the trough in UK and now have their snouts firmly embedded in the EU trough!

Give me Maggie every day of the week! She had a spine and balls and at the very least dealt with those horrible blimmin miners. Scargill? Another loon!

The empire may have gone but lets maintain some pride in our country instead of pandering to the "Human rights, votes for wimmin (in comfortable shoes), ethnic minorities, pink and fluffy brigade" who are strangling the very life out of our society.

By the way, as a white, hetero, married man do I qualify to be part of an ethnic minority?????

airborne_artist
25th Mar 2008, 14:15
For an example of self-centred Britain, look no further than Maggie and the 80s, personal profit above all elseSo it's OK that Cherie goes to the US to get $50,000 for a two hour "lecture" about how tough it is to be the PM's wife? And remind me how much TB is making from his "consultancy posts".

Don't make me puke.....:ugh:

The UK in the 70s was broke, with rampant inflation - remember the 35% Forces pay rise of 1979 to get us back into line?

boogie-nicey
25th Mar 2008, 15:56
Well done Airborne Artist, the liberal mouthpieces are always banging on about the so called shame of the 80s yet arrogantly stop short of going further back into the economically disasterous 70s. Hypocrites to say the least. Thanks to that lot we were so poor we couldn't even afford to go to work wildcat strikes, rolling power cuts, government run out of money, services shutdown and of course the restricted work week, INCREDIBLE! In many respects that is an increasing mirror of todays government status and I think the Grumpy Old Sod website actually helps to illustrate that point. The liberals are up in arms when you accuse them of anything with their "hollier than thou" opinions yet casually or fashionably lambast the right with catchphrases that are needless and merely serve to feed their own egos.

Rant over .... for now ;)

Boslandew
25th Mar 2008, 17:39
Just out of interest, where do people think PC stems from in the UK. Someone must believe in it. Is it the BBC, the education establishment, Labour MP's, the militant left, Polly Toynbee, who???

minigundiplomat
25th Mar 2008, 17:59
AP1 in our case.

PingDit
25th Mar 2008, 23:38
It seems to me that it appeared at about the same time as mass immigration.

pr00ne
25th Mar 2008, 23:40
Pingdit,

"It seems to me that it appeared at about the same time as mass immigration. "

Wow, you mean we've had PC since the 13th Century?

SirPercyWare-Armitag
26th Mar 2008, 09:32
pr00ne - if you want to be clever about history and immigration, you need to go further back than the middle ages. Try Angles, Jutes and Saxons from the nearest Ladybird book.

What ired you? The word "immigration"? Of course, in today's society, one isn't allowed to discuss immigration because that automatically condemns you as a racist.

Outside of Brown's 1984-style regime, it should be perfectly acceptable to discuss the pros and cons of immigration.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
26th Mar 2008, 11:24
Just out of interest, where do people think PC stems from in the UK.

Well, according to UKIP (who I normally don't have a lot of time for), it originates in the Marxist elements of the Weimar Republic.
http://www.ukip.org/ukip/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=186&Itemid=68

political correctness is an invention of the Left. In 1923 a group of Marxist intellectuals came together at Frankfurt am Main University to form what became known as the ‘Frankfurt School.’ Realising that the Russian Revolution was not going to spread to the rest of Europe as they wished, this group of academics concluded that it was essential to change the way people thought and communicated before Marxism could flourish. To achieve this ambitious goal, they developed a theory called ‘Cultural Marxism.’

This theory demanded that Marxist sympathisers indoctrinated the public by infiltrating the ‘cultural institutions’ within a society, including the media and universities. However when Hitler came to power in 1933, this group of Marxist academics fled Germany and settled in the United States. It was on the other side of the Atlantic where they were able to put their theory into practice, but they had to wait till the 1960s.

In the 1960s a ‘cultural revolution’ took place, which gave the cultural Marxists the perfect vehicle to experiment with their theories. They clung to the coat-tails of the civil rights movement and cleverly stoked the anti-Vietnam war fire, even coining the famous phrase ‘Make love not war.’ As a result ‘Cultural Marxism’ became popular on student campuses in the United States in the late 1960s and it spread to Britain in the early 1970s.

That certainly fits the popular notion that it was imported from across the Atlantic.

mr fish
26th Mar 2008, 12:45
NOSTRINIAN ' NHS working brilliantly ' , come to nottingham QMC and sit in the casualty dept for at least 5 hours before treatment, its a little different compared to to the fiction on the bbc!!!!!!!!

Boslandew
26th Mar 2008, 22:16
Golf Bravo Zulu

Many thanks. Didn't know that.

I read the link and a lot of it seems to stem from 'Racial Awareness Officers' and the rest of the 'non-jobbers' on so many local and district councils. What is going to stop it since it seems to originate in this wretched government?

I'd consider emigrating if I thought anyone would have me.