PDA

View Full Version : Switching off thumbnail view for saving in image folders

The late XV105
9th Jan 2008, 21:59
Windows XP Service Pack 2 Media Center Edition.

Yonks ago, using Windows Explorer / Tools dropdown / Folder Options / View tab / Apply To All Folders button, together with "Remember each folder's view setting", I successfully set the default view for every folder I open to "Details".

This has worked without fault ever since.

There remains however something related to this that I have been unable to get working how I desire; for some folders (most but not all) when using "Save As" to save ANY file type that was opened from it, the resultant dialogue box displays thumbnails. Far from being helpful, this is usually a nuisance and I end up clicking the view option to choose the Save As dialogue to the wanted "Details" view.

What is causing this, please?

Many thanks.

Mac the Knife
10th Jan 2008, 21:19
I've been wanting to do this for ages.

Somewhere in the bowels of the Registry there IS a keyvalue that controls this but since I've pretty much completely migrated to Mac and Linux I can't be arsed to research it further.

Good luck!

:ok:

The Flying Pram
11th Jan 2008, 12:20
I think this might have something to do with the maximum number of folders allowed as standard. You can edit a registry value to increase this. I will try and dig up the details.

The late XV105
11th Jan 2008, 19:41
Thankyou!
I have my fingers crossed!

The Flying Pram
11th Jan 2008, 21:46
I found this in a magazine help DVD. I can't cut & paste it so will have to type it manually. It refers to the maximum number of folders Windows can handle. You can exceed this number, but then you will start getting problems with settings not being remembered.

Start Registry Editor and navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell. Create a new Dword BagMRU Size with a value of 1,000.

Then repeat the procedure in:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam.

Exit and re-boot for the changes to take effect. You can increase the number to any value you want, the standard default is 400.

Hope this helps.
TFP.

Mac the Knife
12th Jan 2008, 04:14
Its not a question of the number of folders that can be displayed (this is another issue) but a default view setting for the "My Pictures" folder.