PDA

View Full Version : Which watch do you wear?

KNIEVEL77
9th Jan 2008, 14:07
Hi,

Although i'm just about to start my PPL(H) i've always had a love of watches and was just wondering which watch you, as a pilot, wear whilst flying?

K77.

Sorry, I realise that this question has been posed elsewhere on PPRUNE.ORG but it looks like never in the Rotorheads section.

FloaterNorthWest
9th Jan 2008, 14:14
One that tells the time accurately, unlike Brietling. Wouldn't bother with one that has a whizz wheel on, most are way too small.

Knievell,

With posts like this and your declaration about waiting for a personal number plate on another thread, people may start to form an opinion of you :}

FNW

KNIEVEL77
9th Jan 2008, 14:24
FNW, not sure if that was a tongue in cheek comment but I have edited my first post accordingly just for you! :ok:

KN13 VEL!

HELOFAN
9th Jan 2008, 15:03
I wear inexpensive watches.

If its more than $30 I didnt buy it.

No bling or flash or even emergency locators or built in E6B's or GPS's.

Nope just something that shows the time and date at the same time.

A simple Casio ( anything really, they make great watches ) but I am happy with the newish Casio HD.

Has several international time zones ( important info for ensuring I wake someone up when I do the international drunk dialing ), and a heap of other crap that I dont use, countdown timer, phone number storage... right.. just in case the phone dies.:yuk:

IT DOES HAVE a great hard case that surrounds the face so that I dont smash the glass or scratch it badly.

It was cheap, around $13 on sale.

The other watch is a Lorus sports, really old has ( as all my watches had done to them ) had the utter crap beaten out of them & they keep on ticking.

No point having something super flash when it gets beaten, dropped, scratched, whacked, the crap shaken out of it, covered in water, fuels, oils & beer from time to time.

And if I had the money for something really expensive I am sure it would not be on a watch.

When was in Vale Colorado a few years back I saw some watches that were up to around $70,000 and a few over that.

:yuk: :mad: :mad:

I thought I had mis read the price tags & had the decimal place in the wrong spot but after looking closer & going into the shop and asking it was confirmed, it was not a decimal place but a comma.
I had to video a few of them through the window outside just to back it up.

It made me very sad to see that someone can have the cost of my training on their wrist.
:uhoh:
Good lord folks, dont they know there are starving students and instructor pilots out there.
:{

Please, give to the poor.

:E

HF

TheMonk
9th Jan 2008, 15:12
If I were to buy one for myself, any old Timex would do, but my wife bought a Seiko Aviator with white face for me about 11-12 years ago and it is still ticking and lloks good still.

Monk

BRASSEMUP
9th Jan 2008, 15:16
A BIG shiney ONE:p

jonnyloove
9th Jan 2008, 15:22
Still use my issue seiko chronograph watch with bio-hazzard velcro watch strap I still dont know what the little dials do...! It was free and it keeps ok time there is better out there but i guess I cant be bothered to change it.:)

Darkhorse30
9th Jan 2008, 16:08
Buy one that has big digital time numbers with a momentary back light, as well as date. You'll be happy and if you lose it, it won't be a tragedy.

FloaterNorthWest
9th Jan 2008, 17:02
Knievel,

Very tongue in cheek.

FNW

bladeslapper
9th Jan 2008, 17:16
A watch on the wrist is great for getting you to the field or pub on time as long as it works reliably.

If you want the watch for flight timing then it is no use on your wrist which is down by the collective (or cyclic, depending on which wrist you wear it). If time in flight is important then make sure you have a clock / stop watch on the panel in front of you and of sufficient size so you can read it.

Oh...... and me - I wear an old divers watch so i can take a shower without removing it. That way i don't forget to put it on later and then wind up being late for work :D

PH-SCP
9th Jan 2008, 17:20
I bought a Breitling Bentley about a year ago.

Runs great, looks really cool on my thin wrist and sure is an attention-magnet.

Did I mention it's a replica, paid $ 15 for it after tough negotiations.
People just want to be fooled:):):)

KNIEVEL77
9th Jan 2008, 17:25
Im looking for a Co Pilot Module for my Breitling Emergency if anyone has one for sale!

EN48
9th Jan 2008, 17:35
I have tried a wide range of watches over the years. I have found the following to work best for me:
1. quartz movement (electric);
2. analog dial with large, easy to read numerals; white on black background;
3. no buttons, or timers, or whiz wheels - never get used
4. leather strap for comfort
5. relatively inexpensive (no gold, diamonds, etc)

It is said that the size of the watch is inversely proportional to the size of the penis.

My current everyday watch is the best I have found for general purpose use and flying. A Citizen Night Hawk with Eco Drive - no winding and practically no battery replacement. The only concession to features is a 2nd time zone hand (somewhat useful) and a calendar (not useful as it is never correct unless you remember to adhust it monthly)

EN48

Gordy
9th Jan 2008, 18:57
I have one with Alpha waves on it:

A Helicopter pilot walks into a bar and takes a seat next to a very attractive woman. He gives her a quick glance then casually looks at his watch for a moment.
The woman notices this and asks, "Is your date running late?"
"No," he replies, "I just got this state-of-the-art watch, and I was just testing it."
The intrigued woman says, "A state-of-the-art watch? What's so special about it?"
The Helicopter pilot explains, "It uses alpha waves to talk to me telepathically."
The lady says, "What's it telling you now?"
"Well, it says you're not wearing any panties...."
"The woman giggles and replies, "Well it must be broken because I am wearing
panties!"
The Helicopter pilot smirks, taps his watch and says, "Damn thing's an hour fast."

Flintstone
9th Jan 2008, 19:02
.........................................an hour later the helicopter pilot asks her "Are you sure that's not an adam's apple you've got there?".

KNIEVEL77
9th Jan 2008, 19:15
Brilliant!

TheMonk
9th Jan 2008, 19:17
Heard Steve was wearing a watch with built-in ELT. Didn't help him though.

Monk

BRASSEMUP
9th Jan 2008, 19:23
Bladeslapper!

Boring!!!!!!!!!

Do yourself a favour...Go and buy a big watch, its a extention of your :mad: you know:ok:

Big watch small :mad: shout your own name when you :mad: horaaaaaar!

Ken Wells
9th Jan 2008, 19:46
Mate of mine had a wind up watch guaranteed for life.

When the main spring went it slashed his wrist!!!:O

BlenderPilot
9th Jan 2008, 20:00
SWATCH

I've been wearing either that or a Casio Calculator Watch since I was a teenager.

I heard a couple of flight attendants that work for the same airline I do (I fly the helicotper side) say watch size in a pilot is inversely proportional to his private parts :)

bladeslapper
9th Jan 2008, 20:01
BRASSEMUP

Haven't you noticed that divers watches are almost all big or VERY BIG :ok:

Ken Wells
9th Jan 2008, 20:08
Found the perfect watch for you on ebay K77!

check link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PENIS-JOKE-LEATHER-WRISTWATCH-WATCH_W0QQitemZ230174742321QQihZ013QQcategoryZ31387QQrdZ1QQs sPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m118

Enjoy when you are down the pub and you say out load

"oh dear me, I seem to have dropped my PILOTS LICENCE " on the floor.

Go on, I know you do that:D

KNIEVEL77
9th Jan 2008, 20:19
I like the fact the advert says it's a 'UNISEX WATCH' :D:D:D

Ken Wells
9th Jan 2008, 21:30
I hear that Mickey Mouse wears a CAA watch!!!

TwinHueyMan
9th Jan 2008, 21:54
Apparently a guy from work thought the G Shock was a good pilots watch, then read this thread and became self conscious as I found one in the chopper and it became my new watch. Everyone start bagging on expensive gold watches, maybe someone else will read this and abandon one of them for me to find.

Mike

Devil 49
10th Jan 2008, 16:12
"Vibralite 3". The "stainless" wear longer than the black all plastic ones. The unabashedly plastic black ones last about a year for me.
Dual times, w/date and day of the week (I keep UTC & local).
Audible/"silent"/ and visual, dual alarms.
Repeating countdown timer w/separate stopwatch.
Illumination can be set to activate with wrist motion only, AND of limited duration.

http://www.globalassistive.peachhost.com/ct_PRvl300ss.htm

It's ugly but it does everything I want except make coffee.

whoateallthepies
11th Jan 2008, 05:38
Got a free red plastic Citroen watch back in 1987 for taking a test drive in a crappy Citroen AX at the Aberdeen dealer. I used that for a couple of years on the North Sea.
What the hell, there was always a clock in the cockpit!

Use a Seiko now. http://i.1asphost.com/whoateallthepies/pie.jpg

KNIEVEL77
11th Jan 2008, 09:48
From a previous post "it is said that the size of a watch is inversely proportional to the size of one's penis"

I think huge watches look great but then I do have a little chopper...........a R22 in fact! :O

A.Agincourt
11th Jan 2008, 10:17
Skagen - Titanium :}

timex
11th Jan 2008, 11:43
Same one I bought 28 yrs ago....pretty good value.;)

jayteeto
11th Jan 2008, 13:11
I keep breaking the damned things, so cheap and cheerful for me. At work I don't even wear a watch, the police have paid a fortune to put a very expensive clock on the instrument panel. If it stops, tune in the ADF to radio 5 and wait for an update!!

K48
11th Jan 2008, 14:28
This one (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MENS-SEIKO-FLIGHTMASTER-CHRONOGRAPH-WATCH-NEW-UK-SELLER_W0QQitemZ160196625773QQihZ006QQcategoryZ31387QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting) is what I have... been grat for years and has an e6b which is great for fuelltrs/gals lbs/ and speed/dist/time calcs... i use it quite a lot, now mainly to keep me uptodate on the whizwheel

Pandalet
11th Jan 2008, 17:27
Fossil do rather pretty ladies watches, and the face gradually changes colour over the years, so you don't get bored!

They also tell the time.

Jetscream 32
11th Jan 2008, 17:45
buy one of mine and help my flying fund :E www.davis.fr

iainms
11th Jan 2008, 19:38
:}m i c k e y m o u s e !

Pitchpull
11th Jan 2008, 19:58
Have been using the Breitling Airwolf for a few years now, easy to read, good functions, UTC, 2nd time zone, 2 stopwatches, countdown timer, 2 alarms, good whizz wheel but getting a bit hard to read with my old eye sight. But over all a great watch with an NVG compatible back light. Check out at http://breitling.com/en/ then click on 'models' then 'professional' finally 'Airwolf'

KNIEVEL77
11th Jan 2008, 20:15
Jetscream 32,

Love your watches especially the Monster!!!!!

Jetscream 32
11th Jan 2008, 21:26
they come in a lovely wooden presentation box - all serial numbered with a personal credit card type warranty card - loads of people like mine!! sensible price too :D - pm me if you want one - not free tho.... :ok:

KNIEVEL77
11th Jan 2008, 22:04
Jetscream,

I'm actually trying to thin down my watch collection, i've got 5 on Ebay at the minute!

Your watches aren't disimilar to a Bell & Ross and a U Boat watch that i've got, although my Breitling Emergency is the current favourite.

I'm actually looking for a Co Pilot Module for it and also a Breitling Chrono Avenger M1!

Have you seen the ESQ Beacon, a bit similar to your Monster?

Would you class your watches as 'design' watches or are thet much better than just fashion items?

Backward Blade
12th Jan 2008, 04:17
For the the love of GOD!!!. You need a timepiece that works, that is easy to read and if flying at night one that glows in the dark at all times. If you fly in multiple Time Zones it is nice to have one that has Universal Time on it as well. (Not to mention those early morning flights while talking to the weather man and you can't add/ subtract that fast!:}) An alarm is also handy if you travel alot, live in the bush and have a tendency to work where electricity is not readily available. :ok:

Me?!..Timex Indiglo Atlantis. Water Resistant. Dual Times. BIG NUMBERS (You are a pilot after all:E). Lap times (just in case the one in the machine just craps out). Alarm. and a little patch of velcro underneath the face to put it on the knee/chest of my flight suit when the clock in your machine does crap out...it will!. Price=65$ Can. That was when we were worth 65c American.

You have enough dials in front of you as it is...why complicate matters?

Bladestrike
12th Jan 2008, 11:36
One of these (NOT THE JAMES BOND MODEL!!!)...

http://www.bigsheep.com/watch/omega/omega_Seamaste.jpg

Treated myself a few years back. I think it's cool that it's self-winding, all those tiny little parts doing their thing...always wanted one.

(And as far as the chinese lettering, it's the only photo I could find on google.....)

just the driver
12th Jan 2008, 11:38
I wear a cheap sekonda at work, don't want to damage the breitling on walk rounds etc - keep it for the pose factor in the pub! And NO - a big watch doesn't mean you are less well endowed.:)

Pitchpull
12th Jan 2008, 12:53
http://www.lacotedesmontres.com/mesIMG/imgStd/21678.jpg

KNIEVEL77
13th Jan 2008, 10:08
Some great watches on here chaps, just tried to buy an original RAF Issue Helicopter Pilots watch but it sold for a fortune.

AirWon
13th Jan 2008, 16:04
Tissot-TOUCH. Rubber strap.

GOT
14th Jan 2008, 19:19
Bought a nice Rolex in Bangkok for $50 =)

Ken Wells
14th Jan 2008, 19:46
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg224/kenwells_photo/gynecologistwat12019211.jpg

heliduck
14th Jan 2008, 20:33
Citizen Wingman, "Blue Angels" model. The more information I have at hand without mental arithmetic reduces the chance I'll get a calculation wrong, & when you move between timezones & hemispheres regularly it can all get pretty confusing!! Having UTC displayed all the time is a bonus.
Disappointingly, a pretty girl has never told me how sexy my big watch is?!?!

KNIEVEL77
15th Jan 2008, 22:14
I've currently got a Breitling Emergency, lets hope I never have to use it!

EN48
15th Jan 2008, 22:30
K77,

Food for thought on your Breitling Emergency:

1. IMHO opinion, you will be much better served in a real emergency with a purpose specific personal locator beacon such as the ACR or McMurdo,

2. In Feb 2009, the monitoring satellite system for 121.5 MHz emergency signals will be shut down; when this happens, your Breitling Emergency will be next to useless as an emergency beacon (unless Breitling offers an upgrade to a 406MHz COSPAS/SARSAT compatible transmitter).

EN48

KNIEVEL77
15th Jan 2008, 22:36
Don't worry, I didn't but the Emergency specifically for flying, i've had it for years and still love it..........it's a great talking point down the pub!!!!

ShyTorque
15th Jan 2008, 22:48
I have a big, shiny, Breitling Aviator type watch, worth well over a grand, given to me as a gift about four years ago. I wore it for about a fortnight and now it lives in my sock drawer.

I went back to wearing my own little Citizen Ecodrive Titanium, which cost £99 in a shop sale. Far more tasteful. It doesn't pull threads on my sleeve and anyway it makes my d**k look bigger. Only problem is, it always sets off the airport security alarms. So does the watch.

KNIEVEL77
15th Jan 2008, 23:03
ShyTorque,

I'm a bit of a watch collector, bet you'd rather have some money for it rather than it sitting in your sock drawer?????

ShyTorque
15th Jan 2008, 23:22
It sits there as a reminder of my last job. It's good to remember I finally quit ;)

SirVivr
16th Jan 2008, 01:09
After working a 6/3 day schedule for so long, any watch must tell the Day and Date. Next one will also give the month.

Black background with white numerals and hands.

Just bought a mechanical Oris in BKK. Titainium case with rubber strap for the tropics.

Why get mugged for wearing a Lolex?

Medium size, so at the pub I just talk about the cute way I get on and off.

Should we have a conference in Houston?

I will be there for the Goodrich Winch Conference and two days of Heli-Promo.

Chas A

SASless
16th Jan 2008, 01:24
I have the latest version of the Luminox....great big numbers....big hands....white numbers on a black face....and I can see the hands (including the second hand) in the dark. (mind you I can't find my specs....thus it all looks like a weird glow at the end me arm!)

After popping the bezel off my Rolex GMT Master for the fourth time....at 336 USD a whack....the Luminox is a bargain at 242 USD. The luminox has a 60 minute bezel that will account for any flight I make now days as my personal pit stops have to occur less than one orbit of the bezel by the minute hand.:{

Semi Rigid
16th Jan 2008, 23:56
BRASSMEUP - hear hear.
I bought a big shiny Tissot but inherited a real small pekka. Problem is that it takes so much blood to prime it that I am forever blacking out (R.Rude)

B Sousa
17th Jan 2008, 02:29
Rolex GMT master for Utility work and a Casio Pathfinder for tours and charters....... I am a poor Helicopter Pilot Sir....

SASless
17th Jan 2008, 04:13
Bert Baby,

Congratulations on finally admitting being a poor helicopter pilot.....now you agree with your check pilots!:uhoh:

Ding Dong
20th Jan 2008, 02:16
A fred flinstone sundial watch ... has never broken down !

:hmm:

Heli-phile
21st Jan 2008, 06:35
I always new my sons watch was too small for me. now I know why I adopted it.

Many thanks

Tripod

Heli-phile
21st Jan 2008, 06:41
:confused:

KNIEVEL77
3rd Dec 2008, 20:37
Did they ever confirm it it was his aircraft they found very recently?

Wonder if his Breitling Emergency was ever activated?

SASless
3rd Dec 2008, 20:40
DNA tests of bone material proved it was in fact Fossett's remains. That in addition to the aircraft numbering and his drivers license.

What a shame to go like that after all the cliff hangers he has been involved with. I am sure Gann would have an explanation for it.....something about "Fate"!

Bert Baby,

I have heard you called a lot of things....but never a helicopter pilot!

KNIEVEL77
27th Dec 2008, 23:06
Just bought a lovely and inexpensive Torgoen T10301, very plain with a PVD finish and rubber strap from the Flightstore in their sale.

ToTall
28th Dec 2008, 02:02
I have a Breitling Navitimer that I use for flying and a Tag Golf for when I play golf. For social gatherings I have a Ebel.

Have been looking at the Skagen watches but then I started to fly helicopters.

Shawn Coyle
28th Dec 2008, 02:25
I was given a Sector ADV 4500 by the brothers who invented the original DragonFly light helicopter, after doing a pilot review for it in Rotor and Wing many years ago.
Very nice watch, and I was quite humbled by the gesture. As I was looking at the watch on the way home I couldn't quite figure it out, so got out the instruction book. What looked like stop watch function stems were in fact for setting date and day of the week. There was in fact no stopwatch function, which was a tiny bit of a let down. But there was a fourth hand on the main dial, and it took me a while to figure it out (takes everyone I show it to a while to figure it out, so I don't feel bad). The fourth hand was for 'week of the year'.
I immediately thought - I know the Dragonfly isn't the fastest helicopter in the world, but it's not that slow!

scooter boy
28th Dec 2008, 08:29
All this talk of cheap watches - such bad news.
A watch is the only thing you wear 24/7 - it says so much about who you are.

I bought a nearly new Rolex datejust oyster perpetual (classic no frills much fake-copied Rolex) from a friend who needed some cash fast about 20 years ago. I paid £1000 and got all the certificates etc...

At the time it was pretty bling, but over the years has become an understated design classic and I am no longer self conscious about wearing it.

I reckon I would have bought a cheap watch about once a year (at their average attrition rate), so if I'd spent £50 (on some seiko or timex wannabe watch) per annum I would have broken-even right about now.

I like the look of the Breitlings but they weren't as freely available back then and they have not achieved the same classic status yet.

I bought Mrs SB a new lady Rolex 8 years ago, she loves wearing it and has never looked at watches again.

As for the ones with all the extra displays, aerials and whizz wheels (!) that's really for pilots who want non-pilots to know they are pilots!

SB

Gaseous
28th Dec 2008, 09:04
Interesting thread.
I never wear one. Don't even own a working one.

Whirlygig
28th Dec 2008, 09:37
As my charisma and magnetism seems to bugger up quartz watches in about a week of constant wear, I am limited to mechanical watches which gives me a choice of Rolex, Oris and antique watches. However, finding watch repairers with the required skills to overhaul these watches is becoming harder.

For flying, I wear my late father's watch; a plain, 17 jewel man's watch. However, on my wrist it looks big enough to be a pilot's watch and I can tell the time without my reading glasses on!!

Cheers

Whirls

rotors88
28th Dec 2008, 10:47
There is only ONE pielets watch to wear & thats Breitling range, I use the Airwolf, great piece of kit

EN48
28th Dec 2008, 11:53
In the interest of injecting a bit more controversy into this forum, I will assert that a watch says a great deal about its wearer (beyond the anatomical attributes sometime associated with large "pilot's" watches), much as the choice of automobile says a great deal about it owner. What does your watch (watches) say about you?

WhirlwindIII
28th Dec 2008, 12:41
scooter boy

I second your comments, went down nearly the identical path; same as Mrs SB never looking back. Once a Rolex, always a Rolex - just a choice. Whatever floats the boat.

WIII

SASless
28th Dec 2008, 13:27
Totall,

With your choice of watches for various activities....do you wear a Timex while having conjugal relations?

ShyTorque
28th Dec 2008, 13:28
Having flown for a living since 1977, I need a watch that tells the time. Don't need anything to advertise to the world that I'm a pilot. Having said that, I seldom tell people what I do, in any event, unless asked.

The date to hand is useful, but my phone can tell me that if I'm not sure when filling in the tech log first thing in the morning. Once I'm in the cockpit I look at the aircraft clock.

EN48
28th Dec 2008, 14:19
I never wear one. Don't even own a working one.

You are to be much envied for this. I have long aspired to reach this state, but havent yet been able to pull it off except for short periods (hours). Provides an overwhelming sense of freedom!

ReverseFlight
28th Dec 2008, 14:32
About 4 years ago I bought a cheap copycat Breitling from a market stall in China as a joke with friends.

It's an automatic. The stall owner told me not to expect much working life in it - actually he said 4 months and that's about it.

Now, 4 years later, it's still ticking ... I use it as a backup in case my quartz watch runs out of battery !

forget
28th Dec 2008, 14:52
About 4 years ago I bought a cheap copycat Breitling .......

She'll sus it. They always do.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/cumpas/fake.jpg

VfrpilotPB/2
28th Dec 2008, 15:19
Every day wear always been a Rotary, stainless clear dial able to read when doing work type things( now about 26yrs old), for formal times and taking out my Lady wife Mrs Vfr we both have Raymond Weil, matching styles but smaller for Mrs Vfr, very simple, clear dial and looks nice, both purchased duty free in Cyprus and never seem to let any of the minutes disappear. what more do you need from a watch!!

Peter R-B
Vfr

WhirlwindIII
28th Dec 2008, 15:36
VfrpilotPB/2

"clear dial and looks nice" - same thing, mine doesn't even have the date (as if folks can't keep track of that!), but it'll last a lifetime, if not mine and my kids both, or more...we like that family heirloom thing.

One gets what one pays for. I've almost always regretted going cheap as in the long haul the constant fixing or updating to another new watch,(read cars, appliances, etc. as well) costs the same, is more annoying, and inspires less confidence in reliability through whatever life cycle is applicable.

Essentially watches don't make the person, the person makes the watch what it is.

WIII

Spunk
28th Dec 2008, 16:11
My watch says it's a "Citizen Eco Drive". It's got one needle for the hours, one for the minutes and even one for the seconds. Ohhh and yes it does have a timer function as well.
In our MEL it says that the Davtron on board has to be functional or the pilot has to have an operable watch It doesn't say that it has to be a watch being more valuable than his car....:ok:

Gordy
28th Dec 2008, 18:05
I personally do not feel the need to have a watch--I am required to carry a cellphone which has a clock on it. But seeing as most people feel the need to impress--why not cut right to the chase.

This may be the one posted by Ken Wallis earlier---link is now dead.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/helokat/funnies/unusuallypeniswat12018907.jpg

ToTall
28th Dec 2008, 23:48
SASLess
That was uncalled for :}
Wife read it and now she is on my back for a new watch.
What to do?????

"Totall,

With your choice of watches for various activities....do you wear a Timex while having conjugal relations?"

Gordy
29th Dec 2008, 03:07
lateness/earliness is someone else's problem not mine

Have you ever noticed that those who are late are normally happier than those who are waiting for them? Hmmmm.. very philosophical...

Jackboot
29th Dec 2008, 08:57
Every day watch is a Seiko military chrono with green fabric strap ( where can I get a new one?). Silly date window BTW - who the hell can read that?

I also wear a U-Boat for display flying, simply because it has an enormous face and I can mark it with chinagraph for my slot times.

Following the earlier assertions I therefore have a teeny peeny because, in my 50's, my eyesight aint what it used to be...? No complaints from the missus so far, maybe shes just being kind when she tells me i'm hung like a donkey?

Both watches keep fantastic time. I can't understand why, looking at the Ebay prices, Seiko don't offer the model any more.

The U-Boat, at around £1500 a pop (?) aint cheap, which is why I bought a fake in Turkey for sixty quid.

I think that the multi function pilots watches are a joke but probably worth paying a few quid for a fake if the look blows your frock up. Fakes used to be really bad but I am sure share the same movement these days.

I used to be in the vanity business so I probably know better than most what makes some people tick ( bit of a pun there if you look closely........).

Buy yourself a cheap watch that tells the time, maybe with a stop watch in it if your eyesight is any good - or a fake if you need the bling - and spend the change on fuel.

JB

ReverseFlight
29th Dec 2008, 09:10
Thanks to forget for the photo. I beamed too when I saw the caption.

Anyway, here's a true story. It was a TIF.

Student : "Sorry, I forgot to bring my licence and medical".

Instructor : "Your watch is so big - you must be a helicopter pilot !"

Horror box
29th Dec 2008, 10:40
Buy yourself a cheap watch that tells the time, maybe with a stop watch in it if your eyesight is any good - or a fake if you need the bling - and spend the change on fuel.

I know times are hard, but if my company starts asking me to pay for fuel, I am definitely looking for a new job!!!!

However, you really cant go wrong with a Sinn 356. Good VFM nice design, doesn't stand out or bling blind anyone, has a day and date, which, due to my working rosters, I never know the day without it, excellent lume, so i can see the time in bed and know I still have 3 hours left to sleep, and it has a chronograph stopwatch for when I get bored and have run out of buttons to push elsewhere.

youngskywalker
29th Dec 2008, 15:56
I always find this a curious subject when it pops up!

I don't own an expensive watch, but I see nothing wrong with somebody who decides to buy one. Is it not just simply jewellery for a man? Or the desire to own a watch that has perhaps been hand crafted? After all, I bet a lot of you married men here spent thousands on a ring for the missus, does that tell the time?

Yes we could all manage very well with a cheap casio, just the same way that we could all get about our daily lives with a cheap little car...

If I had the spare cash and could justify it then I'd possibly by a Breitling, not to look like a Pilot or to try and make my schlong look smaller, but simply because it's human nature to aspire to own nice things. Whatever rocks yer boat as they say.

A good friend recently purchased a Breitling and when I asked him how he could justify the expense for a watch his reply was simply... "Easy mate, it's about the same cost as a years worth of babies nappies!"...sadly he now has to buy nappies, good job he bought his toys before his life changed! :E

ron-powell
29th Dec 2008, 18:24
Gordy:Have you ever noticed that those who are late are normally happier than those who are waiting for them? Hmmmm.. very philosophical...

Yes, they very well may be happier.

I have a different take. It's about a lack of respect for the person being made to wait.

KNIEVEL77
29th Dec 2008, 19:05
Well for some reason I seem to have a watch fetish.........here is my collection:

Rolex 'Submariner Date'
Breitling 'Emergency'
Cartier 'Santos'
U Boat 'Thousands Of Feet'
Torgoen 'Pilot'

Oh, and a white plastic Adidas digital watch!!!!

A watch for most occassions!

(And they are all up for sale if anyone fancies a New Year treat!!!!!!).

ToTall
29th Dec 2008, 19:07
KNIEVEL77
Why would you sell?

KNIEVEL77
29th Dec 2008, 19:10
Totall,

It would help fund my continued PPL(H) training!

K77.

Flintstone
29th Dec 2008, 19:22
A watch is the only thing you wear 24/7 - it says so much about who you are.

I think it says more about the sort of person who feels the need to have people judge them on the basis of a trinket.

ToTall
29th Dec 2008, 20:02
He he he I have manage to keep mine...... for now :-)

Where in the world are you K77?

PM me if you like

"Totall,

It would help fund my continued PPL(H) training!

K77."

KNIEVEL77
29th Dec 2008, 20:31
ToTall,

I'm up in sunny Newcastle upon Tyne.........can I interest you in a watch sir???;)

K77.

SASless
29th Dec 2008, 21:50
Jackboot,

Yer missus must have very tiny hands!

TheMonk
29th Dec 2008, 23:52
Are watch snobs anything like wine snobs? lol

Monk

ToTall
30th Dec 2008, 00:32
K77 I was thinking of buying one for SASless since it looks like he misses one :-)
Or was it a lady we should...........:}

Sorry should be nice here. K77 for now I have to wait. I have done my training and just need to get a job so I can pay for my new watches :-)

SASless
30th Dec 2008, 01:27
Don't bother Totall....if there is an inverse relationship between watch and willy size....I would need Big Ben itself as a proper fit.:oh:

WhirlwindIII
30th Dec 2008, 01:45
You guys must take this pilot watch stuff much more seriously, tradition is at stake here, possibly more.

I remember a passenger on a 'cross the pond' flight asking the time (as if they couldn't look at one of the two moving maps mit time display in the cabin) so I proudly produced the "Mickey's little hand, and Mickey's big hand classic Seiko" routine to provide a bit of levity. The proud as punch 'you're taking me to the UK' type fellow thought that a bit funny until he saw Mickey staring him in the face - not the correct answer, my mistake - that's when I decided the stainless and simple Rolex was the better choice to wear when possibly confronted with the "passenger confidence 'bling' thing arena". Perception is reality!

WIII

Vee1Kut
30th Dec 2008, 02:10
I have a watch collection...of course, my first one, I needed to be able to calculate a space mission....Seiko E6B, dial might be small, but using the FMS as the cheat sheet for TAS, GS, winds, ect...it works great...if everything goes dark, IMC, just a flash light and dead reckoning...not a bad thing to have...then I moved to old auto pilot watches...big WWII glow in the dark stuff..no batteries needed...that's my choice these days...got a world timer, calculates your local time anyowhere on Earth very nice..

then at the end of it all, 15 watches later...I just don't wear them...between the cell phone, the FMS, passengers, clocks on the wall, my laptop...tough to imagine I won't know what time it is...

But if I went back to flying pistons over the mountains at night...yeah, strap on another watch....

Personaly, I see them as tools...and I kind of have an affinity for autos....used to have a speedmaster...which has a cult following..only watch approved by NASA for space missions,....

I like that old saying that 'math might save your life one day' ....many times that might relate to time keeping as well....

Still haven't found the watch I see in the movies where everyone is around, ready to blow a bridge or something...'ok, syncronize your watches....now',,,,

Stan Switek
30th Dec 2008, 04:35
My weapon of choice.
http://www.pilotswatch.nl/images/rolex_gmt/rolex_gmt.jpg

snakechrmr
30th Dec 2008, 06:02
Given my need for a watch when flying......

1) I wear a simple Casio when working as a pilot (about $15 on sale),

2) A pocket watch when I must have the time with me. Always thought that was the reason for a fifth pocket on my jeans? (few hundred bucks, 90 years old)

3) Normally don't carry a watch with me as there are too many timepieces available to get the time if needed. (priceless)

Although, the Harley has a clock, the car has a clock, the house has a clock, the garage, etc, etc and the church bell sounds in the village on the hour.

Have 2 cell phones with clocks (1 company, 1 personal) which normally stay in the car or house. Just never been important enough where someone must be able contact (read: bother) me every minute of every day.

TheVelvetGlove
30th Dec 2008, 22:21
This one: Nike Mettle Hammer Watch WC0021-001 (http://www.jomashop.com/nike-wc0021-001.html)

Why? Because it's HUGE and I can read it at night. Plus, it's bullet-proof (I dive with it) and it's CHEAP :ok:

The Rolex stays in the drawer with the rest of the jewelry, and I wear it when I don't care what the real time is :rolleyes:

ToTall
30th Dec 2008, 22:55
SASless
Big Ben is on the way in the mail. Hope it will get there.
I tried to wear it for a wail but hand got tired :}

WhirlwindIII
31st Dec 2008, 01:18
TheVelvetGlove

" "The Rolex stays in the drawer with the rest of the jewelry, and I wear it when I don't care what the real time is." "

Interesting, my Rolex stays right up with the G-Shock Atomic Time Casio, plus or minus a few seconds - strange, eh!? Of course the Rolex does need to be serviced every 10 years - if ya don't manage that it will slow down.

Switek

I looked at GMTs and the Submariners, etc. but they were just too big and heavy, but like the pic, certainly presentable.

WIII

BelArgUSA
31st Dec 2008, 01:30
Well, a small sun dial (made in Switzerland, maybe by Breitling, or Rolex)...
Paired with a compass, and a variation chart in my wallet.
Solar power... rather economical, no batteries or winding required.
Will send it back on warranty, does not seem to work very well at night.
xxx
:8
Happy contrails

P.S. Dont forget to add a leap second to UTC this next 01 JAN...

TheVelvetGlove
31st Dec 2008, 02:48
The Rolex horror- having to send it in every 3 years for a complete tear-down. :ugh:

Hey, maybe that's why we like them- they have life-limited components and need their parts removed and replaced regularly.

KNIEVEL77
31st Dec 2008, 10:18
You can't go wrong buying any pre-owned Rolex, it's about the only thing that is holding it's value at the moment........it will even increase in value in years to come!

I love Breitlings but they are particularly bad investments!

My new Torgoen Pilot seems a good buy, very cheap, plain, simple to read and in PVD!

SASless
31st Dec 2008, 11:22
I pnly wish my Wall Street investments had done as well as my Rolex value!

Insurance appraisal has gone from $1700 to $6750 in the twelve years I have owned the thing.

I am in the position I can be mugged and turn a profit!

Granted I would be back to wearing my Lumi-Nox 3950.....the famous US Navy Seal Watch....big numbers....brightly light hands that even a nearly blind helicopter pilot can see.

I wonder what caused the loss of vision? It's a good thing I was born male....as I was too poor to have any toys while growing up.

WhirlwindIII
31st Dec 2008, 13:20
TheVelvetGlove

Sorry about the three yearly tear down - I'd be going after them for more than the refurb. bill.

SASless

" "as I was too poor to have any toys while growing up." " Tongue in cheek: Story of many a helicopter pilot - but, we wound up with bigger toys than most (read helis and Rolexes), and work far more fun than selling insurance!

WIII

nellycopter
31st Dec 2008, 14:12
Hi,
i have recently bought myself a new Breitling all gold emergency watch,
which leaves my yellow faced titanium (2yr old) watch redundant.
would anyone be interested in it at £2500 ?????
due to the transfer docs etc - i would prefer buyer to collect only.:O

KNIEVEL77
31st Dec 2008, 14:27
You have bought Jimmy Saville's watch to replace your rare yellow face titanium Emergency?????

What ever made you so that?

xxxchopperpilot
2nd Jan 2009, 09:10
I can't beleive that there are so many of you nerds out there. :mad: get a life.:8

R.OCKAPE
2nd Jan 2009, 09:48
triple x hope you're not serious..

KNIEVEL77
2nd Jan 2009, 17:22
Chopperpilot,

So I can't interest you in my Rolex Submariner, U Boat Thousands of Feet, Breitling Emergency or Cartier Santos then?

500e
2nd Jan 2009, 17:55
Hope you 22 wranglers factor the watch into the weights & balance equation

ianp
2nd Jan 2009, 22:56
£10 CASIO is the best watch I have ever had for flying and stuff (the alarm is useful), left it on diving once and even after an excursion to 35m it was as good as new.

Love to spend a small fortune on some exotic bling that has gone to the moon or won a grand prix but somehow I couldn't bring myself to spend that sort of money when I still don't have enough motorbikes. :ok:

KNIEVEL77
2nd Jan 2009, 23:00
ianp,

Don't suppose you fancy a 2001 Aprilia Grand Prix Racing Replica RS125 in matte black, matte red and matte silver with only 21 miles on the clock or the last ever Vespa 50s off the production line with 5kms on the clock to fund my next watch?????

K77.

Windy Pants
3rd Jan 2009, 21:10
Why is there so much inverted snobbery about watches on this post, it's only a watch!

If you like to have a inexpensive watch, great!, if you like an expensive watch, great!

Admittedly if you're purchasing a watch on the basis it makes you better than someone else, yes, that's a bit sad. If someone like that buys a fancy watch on the basis of improving their status then they’re a bit sad regardless whether they've got a nice watch on or not!

I own a few Breitlings (if a commercial pilot can’t wear a Breitling without being judged then who can?!) and a few everyday watches and wear them accordingly, I appreciate beautiful, hand-crafted watches, but I didn't purchase them to make people think differently of me, I just like to own a few nice things; hopefully if someone talks to me they'll find that out for themselves before assuming I'm a tw@t with a small penis because of the watch I'm wearing.

Anyone who makes an snap assumption about someone based upon the watch they are wearing says more about them then the wearer of the watch.

It's just a watch guys, even a person wearing a Casio can turn out to be a knob!

ianp
3rd Jan 2009, 23:35
K 77,
Sorry but two strokes just don't do it for me, then again I may swap it for the casio....

Windy,
Spot on with the inverted snobbery bit, I may not have shiny piece of bling but it does not stop the odd bit of wishful window shopping :ok:

Have a great new year everybody

Flying Signman
3rd Jan 2009, 23:49
Without reading back through all the previous pages, the answer is simple;)

I only wear watches that keep accurate time.

These models are avialable from approx £ 20 to £10,000 from all good retailers. You just pick what level of profit you wish to leave with the shop owner.
:ok:

Phone Wind
4th Jan 2009, 12:40
I have a chronometer in my helicopter and I don't need to know what the time is to the nearest second in my personal life, so I wear a clockwork one. I like old-fashioned things which still seem to have some connection with human beings :). I have a lovely Junkers automatic with a Swiss ETA movement with the day and date. It's accurate to within about a minute a week and has lovely clear orange hands and big numerals. I also have a lovely Zeppelin automatic also with a Swiss ETA movement and a very clear black face with white hands. The two together cost me around $1,000. It seems a bit extravagant, but I'm planning on keeping them forever and a day as for me, they're timeless classics.

http://www.aviation-time.com/en/shop/image_calculate.php?id=871&s=Junkers%206468-5%20Swiss%20ETA%20Automatic.jpg

http://www.aviation-time.com/en/shop/image_calculate.php?id=622&s=Zeppelin%207652-2%20LZ%20127%20Black%20Automatic.jpg

Stan Switek
4th Jan 2009, 21:48
I've worn my Rolex GMT Master daily for over 10 years. Never had it serviced. Keeps perfect time. I get a lot of comments, "Is that real?" "Yup.":)
Some day it will be my sons watch & hopefully his sons after that. Try that with a Casio.

forget
4th Jan 2009, 21:52
Some day it will be my sons watch & hopefully his sons after that. Try that with a Casio.

Rolex owners can select the sex of their grandchildren? :eek:

Stan Switek
5th Jan 2009, 02:58
Please note the part where I stated "hopefully." The men of the last four generations of my family have all produced sons. I'd say the odds are in my favor that I may have a grandson one day. It's about having something that can be passed along as a family heirloom. :ok:

KNIEVEL77
5th Jan 2009, 11:24
Well whether a pilot or not I always like to see someone wearing a nice watch.......oh and nice shoes too.....don't ask!!!!!

bast0n
5th Jan 2009, 12:00
I remember that the Casio was far superior to most watches. Mine was waterproof, had a light and alarm and you could never lose at conkers as it was nigh on indestructable. Try that with a Rolex - even a real one! I have now moved on to a slower pace of life and find the watch below ideal as a timepiece and a navigational aid................:):):)

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll301/tallbronzedgod/jsf_DSC01607.jpg

So there!

212man
5th Jan 2009, 12:20
Don't you find it tends to gain time as you shuffle round in circles? :p

bast0n
5th Jan 2009, 12:55
Not really as I have one leg longer than the other to compensate. Snag is I had to walk backwards in the southern hemisphere - especially Borneo.

iws
5th Jan 2009, 18:03
Slight Thread drift.......

My watch is an old Rolex Explorer 2 - not been serviced for at least a decade - runs fast a minute per day! -- but you should see my household clocks:

Most accurate - a Caesium Beam frequency standard - 1 part in 10-13
Next - GPS-controlled oscillator - 1 part in 10-11
then - 2 off Rubidium Secondary standards - 1 part in 10-10
plus - Radiocode clock - 1 part in 10-10
followed by several Pendulum master clocks - 1 part in 10-5(ish)

You could say that I have a slight interest in time measurement!

(and I keep forgetting to reset my Rolex, so it is usually about 5 minutes fast - but that is good enough for most activities!)

JaredYng
10th Apr 2009, 17:37
Does anyone really wear them and if so what are good some ones?

vaibronco
10th Apr 2009, 19:53
I wear an Oregon Scientific paid nothing, was beeing launched in the rubbish, it is radio-controlled, always correct, don't get destroyed by vibrations and always work.
If I spent money in a watch I would choose Citizen EcoDrive Radio Controlled, Titanium.
Always correct time, never change the battery, big white numbers on black background.

Shawn Coyle
11th Apr 2009, 11:26
Many years ago when I was living in England and wrote for a different helicopter magazine, I was given a watch by the owners of a small company that had made a very nice two person helicopter. (No names, but they didn't ever mass produce the helicopter.) The helicopter was nice, but not the fastest around the block in terms of cruise speed.
The watch is very nice, and very reliable, and I remember being very impressed with it when I opened the box on the airline flight home. It looked like it was a stopwatch, but closer examination showed the extra two bezels were for changing date and day of the week.
But there was a fourth hand on the main dial. Closer examination showed this hand to be a 'week of the year' hand. Different - and then I thought - I know this helicopter isn't that fast, but Week of the Year???

IHL
11th Apr 2009, 20:33
I have a Citzen Eco-Drive Skyhawk, with the aviation functions on the Bezel. I really like the time zone feature, it is really easy to sinc the hands to the local time. The only additional feature I would like to have would be a lighted dial to be able to read the time at night, its got illuminescent numbers but a light would be easier.

Several of my friends have the same watch, it goes for $500-$600 CDN.

Note: I got it for an anniversary gift, I wouldn't spend that much on a watch; though I do like it.

Citizen Watch Model Number JR3090-58M, calibre C650, Blue Angels Sky Hawk , World time 30 Cities , TIC Titanium (http://www.citizenwatches.com.au/model/JR3090-58M)

What-ho Squiffy!
12th Apr 2009, 00:09
For what it's worth, i have been chasing the ultimate utility watch for many years now. All the "pilot" watches I have tried are not good enough. The best-ever watch I have used for flying (helicopter and in the flight levels) is a Suunto Vector. It has a BIG display, and excellent backlight. It has a stopwatch and count-down timer, plus two time-zones. The time is very easy to quickly change, and best of all you can alter the hours and minutes up and down, which is very handy when traversing timezones. Water resistant, with an easy user-changeable battery. AND if you are un-pressurised, you have a backup altimeter, which I have found to be very accurate. If you force-land or ditch, it has a very accurate compass built in. The one I have also doubles as a heart rate monitor, so I can exercise with it at my destination. What more could you want?

PS:
Heliduck, I was given the Blue Angels Skyhawk watch, and it is completely useless as a pilot's watch. I still have good eyes (40+ age!), but the amount of fiddle-@rseing around required to perform basic functions is unbelievable.

L2driver
12th Apr 2009, 03:53
My watch - Breitling B1:
http://donindiano.lanetcie.com/watches/breitling/b-1/images/breitling_b-1_jour.jpg

Very accurate and the alarm can even be heard during flight. I think this model is replaced by the Airwolf.
After sales service by Breitling has been very good.

CGWRA
12th Apr 2009, 05:19
I have a 'critical mass' built by a company called Reactor. My father is also a helicopter pilot like myself, and bought it for me as a christmas present one year. He tells me only weenies have "pilot watches" lol

Its survived some pretty wicked conditions from -50c to long periods of time in salt water environments.

Impress to inflate
13th Apr 2009, 01:26
My choice is the Rolex GMT Master II in Pepsi colours. Not the most accurate by then again no battery to run flat.

soggyboxers
13th Apr 2009, 02:58
I like the Mickey Mouse musical watch - not sure if it can be heard in flight though:
http://www.mouse-watches.com/disney-watches/mickey-mouse-silver-musical-watch.jpg

I haven't yet found the need to have an alarm clock in flight as I find the passengers prefer it if I stay awake and although it means it's a bit scary at times, I find it quite helpful too :E

They do have one a bit like the Breitling with Swarovski crystals on the front:
http://www.mouse-watches.com/disney-watches/mickey-mouse-swarovski-crystal-watch2.jpg

Of course if batteries are the problem, there's the Eco-Drive Mickey:
http://www.princetonwatches.com/images/watches/EW8410-51M.jpg

Many pilots, however, prefer the classic divers watch for its ruggedness and classically simple dial:
http://goldsmithworks.com/ebay/micv-rb09007.jpg

All of these can be perfectly complemented by the right wings, so nobody's in doubt that you're a professional aviator :}:
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/6/4/6/0/1/8/webimg/243718785_tp.jpg

But for those for whom it simply has to be a Rolex, there's always this!
http://i13.ebayimg.com/02/i/001/3a/f1/e670_1.JPG

Naturally, in this modern age, the discerning aviator has to make sure he's got the latest matching accoutrements and the right mobile phone is essential:
http://www.phoneyworld.com/images/home/180805/03.jpg

I also never travel without my satellite phone, in case I'm caught away from base overnight with no network!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31VK677K9JL.jpg

Ah well, I think that's enough glasses of red infuriator for one night or even my trusty alarm will never get me up in the morning:

http://i2.ebayimg.com/03/i/001/3e/be/b137_1.JPG

SASless
13th Apr 2009, 03:33
Bought it secondhand from a pawn shop outside an Army Base near home.....paid 5 USD.

Remember.....we are helicopter pilots here and not fancy pants Airline bus drivers. Plus after my alimoney and child support payments....I felt lucky to afford this one.

http://www.cheaptimex.com/images/28071.jpg

Fark'n'ell
13th Apr 2009, 05:38
EN48

It is said that the size of the watch is inversely proportional to the size of the penis.

Thanks for solving problem mate.Don't wear a watch, never have done.
Wondered why it kept getting bigger.:ok:

albatross
14th Apr 2009, 01:29
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e68/midcanada/scan0002.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e68/midcanada/scan0001.jpg

My favourite watch.:E

Phoinix
14th Apr 2009, 08:29
I went for functionality:
- simplicity
- big, clearly visible hands
- ilumination
- digital multi zone time - utc

It took me a while to find it, but i got it :ok:

http://images4.kenmarwatches.com/images/prod_full/6/sector_28006.jpg

SASless
14th Apr 2009, 12:41
Phoinix,

Someone nicked the numbers from it....how do you tell time with the thing....what if you put it on wrong way to somehow...then where would you be?

Way too much thinking involved for a helicopter pilot!

mtoroshanga
14th Apr 2009, 19:36
Does Micky Mouse wear a Bristow watch?

soggyboxers
14th Apr 2009, 22:13
mtoroshanga, dear chap,

I sincerely hope so after all the publicity I've given the little rodent :E

SASless
14th Apr 2009, 22:39
No....but senior Bristow Managers are issued a Micky Mouse Watch upon graduation from the in-house run management course!:rolleyes:

Trans Lift
17th Apr 2009, 02:15
Titanium Tissot T-Touch. Pretty nifty little toy that I got aa a present for my 21st. I'm 24 now and its only 20secs off (never set it since I got it). Has a cool touch screen too that has altimeter, barometer, compass that mover with you and chrono, oh ya and alarm. Nice toy if you like watches :ok:
Not too big either so you don't look like an airline pilot!!

r44raven
17th Apr 2009, 21:28
Hey Soggy,
Just wondering if you also have the Mouseketeer Alpha Eagle or do the ears interfere with the breakers?;)

Sliding Doors
29th Jun 2010, 07:38
The last I heard, Mickey Mouse was spotted sporting a CHC watch, Hummingbird and all, but he was complaining it didn't work very well and was unable to do the job it was supposed to :ok::)

Senior Pilot
30th Jun 2010, 11:09
I thought this was SASless' timepiece these days? ;)

http://homepage.mac.com/pete.boardman/24hourclock/news/files/page1_blog_entry48_1.jpg

In 1793, the Revolutionary Government in France decreed that the day should be divided into 10 hours of 100 minutes, and the year into 10 months of 30 days. For a few years, clock and watch makers designed some unusual pieces to help the population learn and adopt to the new decimal time system. Here’s a good example

SASless
30th Jun 2010, 14:42
Being fully retired....and falling prey to the cruising life style aboard my sailboat...."Luna C".....I have found a need for a very specialized design of clock. I have a very nautical clock similar to that SP posted for view....but my latest find fits my needs much better.

http://zedomax.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/5178x8P-YbL__SS500_.jpg

SASless
1st Jul 2010, 05:23
Actually....I got one of them that also shows the time...and as the Tide charts are in Local Time, the Weather is in Zulu....where my boat is located is an hour and five minutes behind the published time...except when the wind blows Southwesterly....I am completely befuddled by all that techology. The default method is simply poke one's nose out the hatch....look at the water level against the seawall....make the needed calculations....usually requiring calibration of the liquor and wine stocks against the expected onboard consumption multiplied by a factor of two unless Shannon the AFD is along then it goes to 3.5 for pop wine....and if the 51 year old lady with the cheer leader legs is along the Gin loading must equal a crate of fresh Limes factored for OAT.

If we leave the dock....I also check the fuel and top off the oil....as the boat has a Perkins Diesel Engine....and notify the towing service of my destination as she also has a Smith's electrical system.

topendtorque
1st Jul 2010, 14:18
I'd a thought the sat sunday turnout should be with the hand permanantly upwards and the outer turnout rotates. Unless its with sat sun in the upside down mode.

me I usually don't have a watch, so no photo, I just have a bad feeling every three hours or so.

but seriously I worked for a dude once who had been to disneyland, and this was a long time ago, he happened to write off a machine ( in itself a quite funny and long story) but was in the local flight sevice office talking to the big brass crash people from down south.

local FSU officers - not pretending to not hear, hear this - in response from big knob down south about some idiot fundamental like, what time was it?

FSU's hero says waalll, mickeys big hand was on the three and his little hand was on the noine EH, Mate.

FSU thought this was quite funny.

bolkow
1st Jul 2010, 22:29
my current one is a lorus, luminous face, gives the date and day, £27 from argos this evening.

Deck Clear
4th Jul 2010, 16:59
Tried lots of watches over the years, my favourite ..by far is the Lorus Gents Lumibrite Dial Military Style Watch...just under £28 quid from Argos...the best watch I've ever flown with...Lumibrite (great for night shuttles) very easy read dial and I have three...each keep perfect time..to the second over many weeks.
http://www.argos.co.uk/wcsstore/argos/images/15-2535975SPA72UC584969X.jpg

Peter PanPan
4th Jul 2010, 17:34
You can hardly beat this one :)

http://www.deportesmoya.com/tienda/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/CASIO_COLLECTION_4b7522af316bc.jpg

fly911
8th Jul 2010, 20:32
Right now I'm wearing what I like to call the green "GLASS COCKPIT".

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q140/fly911/wa.jpg

;)

Gomer Pylot
11th Jul 2010, 12:04
Peter, that's very close to the one I wear for work. $16US @ WallyWorld. Keeps almost perfect time, about 2 seconds/month fast. I lost one watch during a night hurricane evacuation offshore, and I haven't worn an expensive watch since. If I lose this one, I can buy another without taking out a bank loan.

chopperchappie
11th Jul 2010, 12:45
Great threat - some brilliant examples of what not to buy.

I wear a TAG S/EL Chronograph, extremely accurate and easy to read however I wear it on my left wrist, which means to look at it in flight I need to apply throttle and collective friction - then I still cant see it as my glove covers the face, so I need to hold the cyclic with my knees and roll back my glove with my right hand (just too much effort) - basically it's pointless having a watch on your left wrist with gloves!

Just use the cockpit "accurate tiempiece" that's supplied as part of the aircraft.

PS - Before anyone says "roll the glove before flight" - doesn't stay there if you are flying PIC LHS with no door !

Gomer Pylot
11th Jul 2010, 19:16
The watch is just to check for lunchtime, nap time, and quitting time. In flight, I have a GPS that shows me the time, accurate to a few microseconds, with just a glance. :rolleyes:

cladosporangium
16th Jul 2010, 11:48
chopperchappie, put watch on top of glove.:ok:

SHawker
2nd Dec 2010, 17:24
I am a Heli Pilot's Wife and would Really like to buy him a great starter watch for Christmas. I say starter watch because the one he would really like is thousands of dollars and that is not in our budget. I was wondering what all of you have found that you like. I have been researching, reading reviews and am curious to know from actual pilots what is a good watch. I have saved up $200 to spend, a little budget I know, but we are still in the instructor phase, so that is a lot right now.
Thanks for all your advise and help :)

otter712
2nd Dec 2010, 19:11
What is your budget? What features do you want it to have? Do you want it to have a "second time zone" for GMT time? I use that function regular for filing flight plans and checking WX. Somehow I can't seem to keep track of the time difference, especially when just woken up. Lets face it, while flying you have the time available to you in the cockpit. While not flying, it probably is on your phone. When on the phone with flight service it always catches me off guard. So, do you want it to be functional in any other way then just time? A good watch to have: Omega seamaster GMT, Rolex submariner GMT. They are expensive. Good alternatives are: Steinhart GMT Ocean 1, Debauffre GMT Ocean 1, good quality and run about $600 and will last a long time and are almost equal quality as the 2 previous mentioned (gotta be careful here, lol). A little more pricy, around $1200, is the Milsub GMT (Dive). I believe swiss army has a similar version for $400 available. They are all classy designs, quality build and absolutely unneeded for a pilot, but hey, if you like watches, there is always an excuse to spend your money. I bought a Omega seamaster 50 year GMT and told my wife I needed it for work. She and as well the IRS believed it ! My god, I hope she never gets on here........Hope this helps.

SHawker
2nd Dec 2010, 19:17
My budget is about $200 maybe $250, one that looks great and sounds to me great is the Citizen Men's BJ7000-52E Eco-Drive Nighthawk Stainless Steel Watch (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00074KYC8/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER) it had the EB6 computer on it, and I know he uses that a lot in teaching and before flight. It sounds like a good watch to me, what do you think?

paco
2nd Dec 2010, 19:37
I wouldn't worry too much about the E6b thingy - they are hard to read! The Seiko one mentioned above would be a real good choice, or the Seiko military watch at $130-ish.

I use this one at about £200:

http://www.electrocution.com/IMG0770.jpg

The best luminous hands I've seen anywhere.

Phil

Gordy
2nd Dec 2010, 20:33
SHawker,

Great gesture, but I might suggest something else. Save the watch for when you guys can afford what he wants. In reality, all aircraft have a clock in them. Private pilots like all the gadgets---it is my experience that most commercial pilots could care less for a watch---I do not even own one, (apart from the one on page 5 of this thread). Once he moves on from instructing he probably only use the watch to determine how many more hours till dinner time/bar time/home time etc. For IFR he will use the aircraft clock, if he goes utility, he will land when done--time is relative.

Just to throw this out there...why not get him a good travel bag. He will no doubt end up with a job where is away from home at some point. I just got one of these:

Rolling Duffle (http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/travel/rollers/checkpoint)

Best bag I ever took on the road with me so far. So where does he instruct... Bountiful? Was just thru there a few weeks back.

Devil 49
2nd Dec 2010, 21:08
Shawker- Are you buying jewelry or functional efficiency?
I've worn Seiko and Citizen aviator-type watches, and enjoyed them.

For function, I like the Casio G-Shock G-7500. Dual time, sixty-leven alarms, stopwatch, countdown timer with repeat, silent vibrating alert/alarms (nice on the job, you can't hear anything outside your headset/helmet), backlight w/auto activate feature. Big, ugly, black plastic thingy that keeps pretty good time, batteries last years, and impressively durable- looks like an ugly new watch 5 years on. Also inexpensive, so I have 'nice' watches for civilized occasions.

KNIEVEL77
2nd Dec 2010, 21:41
This one is nice, plain and simple and about $200.

TORGOEN SWISS :: PROFESSIONAL PILOT WATCHES :: MODEL T10301 (http://www.torgoen.com/model.php?pid=82)

2leftskids
3rd Dec 2010, 00:43
Gordy.

This is a chopper pilots bag.

Chopper Bags - Dominant Leathergoods Australia Queensland Chopper Bags and Leather Items (http://www.leathergoods.com.au/chopper.htm)

carsickpuppy
3rd Dec 2010, 01:06
Which watch?

It's black and shiny, looking good from a distance -- sort of like the rest of my physical attributes.

The cash I saved by not buying top-of-the-line allowed me a little trip to Thailand where it was acquired..

:8

3rd Dec 2010, 01:31
I must admit i'm a bit of a watch fiend and have a couple of breitlings including a 22 year old navtimer which i love, but i wear a Casio PAW1500T-7V every day for flying which is a fantastic watch with lots of practical functions including auto backlit illumination which I like and atomic/solar (solar meaning any light these days including a light bulb) which means no setting or batteries. Casio watches really do work well, are reliable and come in a variety of styles and prices. Take a look, if he likes lots of buttons etc, I'm sure casio won't disappoint.

2leftskids
3rd Dec 2010, 01:49
I have the Omega Ploprof. It doesn't really do anything except weigh a lot. But I just wanted it. And I guess based on the previous post on this thread my dick must be very small. :(

OMEGA Watches: Seamaster Ploprof 1200 M - Steel on steel - 224.30.55.21.01.001 (http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/seamaster/ploprof-1200-m)

SHawker
3rd Dec 2010, 04:47
I am not sure how to individually reply to each post so here is to all above:

Flight Bag: I got him one for his Birthday after he got his Private License. It is a sweet bag that is a backpack, so he can ride his motorcycle to work with it. He also can fit his overnight stuff in it, LapTop and headset in it. It was made for it :ok: He doesnt travel and probably won't in the line of Helicopter work he is going into. So, a bigger bag is probably not necessary at this point, but a GREAT suggestion Thanks. Oh, and I also got him a headset when he finished his CFII. Now I am left with a watch and sunglasses :)

On the Casio watches: He hates them, I know, I know, that is not nice, but it's his taste.
He doesn't want anything that is or looks cheap. He is an aviation mechanic and also is instructing and doing Helicopter Tours over Zion N. Park. He works for some wealthy clients airplanes and helicopters, so he wants a watch that looks very nice & professional. I think he likes the idea of the EB6 on it, even though he may never actuall use it :)

SHawker
3rd Dec 2010, 04:51
Actually his dream watch is a Bretling!! Someday when he has 2500 hours and a high paying job I can get him one!!

bluestack
3rd Dec 2010, 05:19
what ?? no mention of Oris.
I have a BC3 I used to wear flying, then one day landed, looked down and the strap had broken and it was flopped against my thigh - thank god the robbie didn't have much space between collective and seat as was no doors.

Thereafter I use a G-Shock for work, and save the Oris for dinner.

I'm surprised there's not more mention of the Oris, classic looks, clear face, and for an automatic swiss movement, relatively cheap in comparison to some of the bling on display here.

http://home.planet.nl/~hout0323/images/watches/OrisBC3-02.JPG

Gordy
3rd Dec 2010, 05:31
SHawker, For what it is worth....

You sound like a wonderful "significant other"....I suspect he knows it to and will be happy with whatever you get him......there is that age old saying about how to please a man:

"Get pizza, beer show up naked"

If it were me....I would be happy, then spend the rest of the money on a fun day doing something you both like...too many of us pilots spend so much time working we forget to enjoy the fun things in life.....

grumpytroll
3rd Dec 2010, 06:20
timex ironman shock. velcro band fits over my wrist or glove. 50 bucks.

Cows getting bigger
3rd Dec 2010, 06:32
One of these

http://www.watchshop.com/profiler/thumb_cache/Casio-WV-200U-1AVER-2009.jpg

£35 at Argos.

Flying Bull
3rd Dec 2010, 10:29
Hi,
got this one for 89 €
Automatic - no battery to change
watertight (10 bar)
good to see at night
http://www.seiko.de/customer/images/clocks/xl/snzd23k1_xl.jpg
Greetings Flying Bull

500e
3rd Dec 2010, 11:09
High paying & helicopters in one sentence :E No way
Go Seiko understated cool.

EN48
3rd Dec 2010, 12:32
Here is the ideal "pro" pilot watch: Citizen Men's BM8475-00X Eco-Drive Military. (I have removed the link to Amazon out of concern for being "modded" off the thread. Many online merchants sell this watch. Google the key words for merchants/photos.)

Like many other posters, I have found over decades of flying that all the buttons and dials of the "aviator" style watches go unused. Cant remember a single instance when I actually used these in flight. In addition, none of the pros I know actually fly wth the aviator style watch. They consider it the mark of a wannabe.

Citizen Eco Drive. Said to run 20 years or more with no maintenence, batteries, etc. Been using these for about 10 years with no problems. This one about $124 at Amazon.com. Simple, easy to read, no unnecessary functions. I'd take this over the Breitling any day for flying. Where the Breitling most certainly excels is as babe bait. :E

Why one might want a mechanical watch (1700's technology) for functional purposes (as opposed to jewelry/art) is a puzzle to me. A bit like owning a classic car or motorcycle - lots of charm, lots of compromises. I enjoy a beautiful piece of workmanship as much as anyone, but as one poster suggests above, I'll save these for the bar/dinner table.

SHawker
3rd Dec 2010, 17:16
GORDY:
Thanks for the compliment! That was very nice, and yes I do know the Beer, food, and Naked are all he NEEDS and really wants....but, I do want to get him something extra special too! He is working at least 12 hours a day 6 days a week, and denys my nothing I ask for, and I also get to stay home with our 4 kids each day and not go to work!!

Bluestack:
I do love the clean simple look of that Oris watch. That is my personal favorite. I am a simple go to local discount or second hand store and get what looks great and is inexpensive :0 But, my hubby is a little more into the nicer and quality of products! I think this looks great!
EN48:
I also love this simple Citizen watch. The simplicity and Eco part is wonderful.
Flying Bull:
I also like this Seiko watch, it looks nice as well as a sportier everyday watch

:ugh:This is all turning out to be quite difficult to make a decision and purchase. I am still not sure if I buy what is glitzy and show off style for him to wear around. Or go with practical, comfort, and actually has use!
I am leaning towards the style and glitz of the watch because, I think he can go any day to Wally World and buy him a simple $20 watch! I want him to smile and wear what I gie him with pride. Although I know he will appreciate anything I get him.

KNIEVEL77
3rd Dec 2010, 17:51
SHawker,

It seems that the clean simple Torgoen watch (link on my previous post) can be had from the USA Ebay site for a snip compared to here in the UK!

K77.

Infern0
3rd Dec 2010, 18:44
Probably a bit overkill, but a Tag Heuer Link.

bluestack
4th Dec 2010, 07:43
SHawker, may I suggest you take a look at the citizen nighthawk, I think a beautiful watch, classic and understated, eco drive and I think much more expensive looking watch than some shown on here already, at about $250 on Amazon.. It also has a pretty useful GMT dial on it, I very nearly bought one.

otter712
4th Dec 2010, 15:56
Citizen Promaster Eco Drive NightHawk BJ7010-16F BJ7010 Sky Watch (http://www.creationwatches.com/products/citizen-promaster-47/citizen-promaster-eco-drive-nighthawk-bj7010-16f-bj7010-sky-watch-950.html)

Good call ! Quality, Classy, especially with the black leather strap, relatively cheap and more gadgets he will ever need. And it looks almost exactly like the Breitling Navitimer.

By the way girl, don't underestimate the plain and simple looks of the Oris watch. It will cost you a months mortgage and then some.

EN48
5th Dec 2010, 19:47
take a look at the citizen nighthawk,

Yes, an appropriate one to consider. Used one of these for the last 10 years before moving to the simpler "military" dial eco drive. Found virtually all the gadgets useless including the GMT hand (way to difficult to read in flight, but little need to do so in a VFR helicopter). But if he wants to impress himself and/or others with lots of "style" and technology for the dollar, this is a great choice. :ok:

osmosis
5th Dec 2010, 20:55
It's true some of the best things in life are free. Many moons ago my partner bought herself a day-to-day watch in a Goldmark store and with it came the offer of "buy one get one free". She did and I still have and use my freebie daily which is the only one of several others that continues to run reliably.

Perhaps there may be more meaning behind the gift than the actual gift itself; a watch whose final selection was made by a small child for example.

If all else fails
7th Dec 2010, 22:42
thread drift guys, 20 years, no servicings, same old time, needs a new strap, the answer is rolex - you know it - but just don't want to hear it...

Tailspin Tommy
8th Dec 2010, 07:40
Many moons ago the word going around among all the girls chasing after pilots was if he has a big watch, he has a small swinging Richard, and is always looking to cash a check. Bought the smallest watch I could find at Walmart just so I could get them to take a look.

Flyting
9th Dec 2010, 05:36
About 2 years ago I was helping my wife collect some funiture from a deceased aunts house when I came across a rack of old watches. Being the curious chap I am I snooped through to see what there was, and came across 2 old Breitlings. The old man, who had died several years ago, turned out to have had a fixed wing ppl and had bought these and not informed any one of their value...
As everything was getting cleaned out, I curiously asked what they were going to do with the old watches..???
"We'll probably put them on the flea market with all the other old junk"
So I offered to buy the 2 (obviosly not for much)... which were then given to me as a gift just for helping out that day...
One turned out to be aBreitling Navitimer 806 from 1959 which was in mint condition...

I wear it now and again on special occasions

500e
9th Dec 2010, 13:22
Tailspin Tommy
Watches vs appendages.
A bit like personal reg then:E

Checkboard
25th Feb 2011, 09:50
Just thought I would say - if anyone wants to buy a wrist watch ...

http://www.mondaniblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/tellurium.jpg

Ulysse Nardin Tellurium (Ulysse Nardin Tellurium J. Kepler Limited Edition (http://www.ulysse-nardin.ch/en/swiss_watch_manufacturer/Collection/Limited_Editions/Tellurium_J._Kepler_Limited.html)) :E

Ulysse Nardin is well known for its proud tradition of quality and mechanical innovation. Its consistent excellence had also been recognized by the award of 18 international gold medals and 4,300 first prizes in chronometric excellence.

Ulysse Nardin Tellurium J Kepler is a revolutionary timepiece that rotates the Earth in its true geographical shape seen from above the North Pole.

A flexible spring bends from the Tropic of Cancer to the Tropic of Capricorn to reveal the part of the Earth lit by the Sun and to indicate the time and place of sunrise and sunset. The moon rotates around the Earth.

The dragon hand indicates the eclipses of the sun and the moon. The perpetual calendar completes one turn each year.

Genuine blue enamel cloisonne dial is beautiful and has self-winding automatic movement. Its blue crocodile strap with platinum buckle makes it a thing of beauty. It has 43mm platinum case, sapphire crystal and is water resistant to 30 meters.

So if you wish to buy this beautiful timepiece hurry up as it is limited to 99 pieces only. The watch, named for the famous astronomer, Johannes Kepler, sells for $US118,000. Ulysse Nardin Tellurium J. Kepler Limited - Wrist Style (http://www.wriststyle.com/entry/ulysse-nardin-tellurium-j-kepler-limited/)

Knowing that most are on a budget, I do have a cheaper choice:

http://www.worldwatchreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/iwc-portuguese-automatic-perpetual-calendar-iw5023-watch.jpg

IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar (IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar II White Gold Watch #5022-18 (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=IWC+Portuguese+Perpetual+Calendar&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=359811767381343776&ei=7FQvTbKyFZG7jAfq-tWDBQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDEQ8wIwAg#))

The IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar features a countdown display to read off the exact number of days remaining until the next full moon, a celestial object that exerts influence on Earth with its gravitational pull. Impressively, in this timepiece, the representation of the course of the moon deviates by just 12 seconds from the actual time in each lunar period.

This timepiece houses an automatic IWC Caliber 51614. It contains 62 jewels that vibrate at 21,600 times per hour. The movement also features Pellaton winding. Power reserve is mechanically limited to 7 days.

The functions are hours, minutes, subsidiary seconds; perpetual calendar with date, day, month, four-digit year display, double moon phase for the earth's northern and southern hemispheres.

The casing comes in white gold or red gold. It is 44.2mm in diameter, with a height of 15.5mm. The convex face is made of anti-reflective treated sapphire crystal, and the transparent case-back as well, allowing a view of the splendid mechanics within.

It sells for £20,917.20

Helikopter
25th Feb 2011, 14:04
I´m wearing: SIF N.A.R.T , North Atlantic Rescue Timer, the official watch of the Icelandic Coast Guard.
JS Watch co. Reykjavik - Sif N.A.R.T. - The Official Watch of the Icelandic Coast Guard (http://www.jswatch.com/collection/sif)

JS Watch co. Reykjavik - Icelandic Coast Guard (http://www.jswatch.com/activities/icelandic-coast-guard)

Regards Helikopter. :O

RJM
25th Feb 2011, 14:42
http://i54.tinypic.com/30th0eq.jpg

KNIEVEL77
25th Feb 2011, 15:15
I've got a Breitling Emergency in my collection if any one fancies adding one to their collection!

KNIEVEL77
25th Apr 2011, 10:00
I'm still looking for a Breitling Skyland Avenger Black Steel but can't bring myself to pay the RRP of £4995!

SASless
25th Apr 2011, 10:23
Wear a watch?

Not I....being fully retired....our pubs are open pretty much from breakfast till O Dark Thirty!:E

RotorSwede
25th Apr 2011, 14:09
I started off with a Breitling Aerospace Professional which is a pretty simple yet aviation-like looking watch with an affordable price tag.

Sold off the Breitling a year ago when I made Senior FO and bought an Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 40th anniversay edition. I love this watch and the moonwalk history it has ;)

Resultat av Googles bildsökning efter http://www.men-access.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/omega-speedmaster-moon-apollo-11-special-edition-40th-anniversary.jpg (http://www.google.nl/imgres?imgurl=http://www.men-access.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/omega-speedmaster-moon-apollo-11-special-edition-40th-anniversary.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.men-access.com/omega-speedmaster-professional-moon-watch-apollo-11-40th-anniversary-limited-edition/&h=514&w=490&sz=45&tbnid=OlLOU3xdYrXr6M:&tbnh=230&tbnw=219&prev=/search%3Fq%3Domega%2Bspeedmaster%2Bapollo%2B11%26tbm%3Disch% 26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=omega+speedmaster+apollo+11&hl=sv&usg=__6EN-3Uf7zH0m7kFwVrysaW625h4=&sa=X&ei=73-1TfqTEMyeOtjJ7YEJ&ved=0CBgQ9QEwAg)

as a pilot you MUST have a show-off watch, it goes with the attitude :P

cheers !

RedhillPhil
25th Apr 2011, 15:04
What an interesting read this thread has been. I'm not a helichopper pilot - or any sort of pilot come to that. Until last February I wore the only watch that I owned which was/is an Omega "Dynamic" that I bought when I lived in Gibraltar in 1969 for £15:12/6d. It started keeping crazy time and an Omega specialist who the watch was returned to stated that basically for a manual wind watch it's had it's life. So I bought another. An Omega "Dynamic" chronometer. Automatic and keeps cracking time. £820 and hopefully it'll do for another forty years which means that it'll see me out.

It's a watch, it shows the time.

malabo
25th Apr 2011, 15:15
It's not about the one you have, it's the one you covet. Been through the Breitlings, GMT's, etc. My next one will be a Citizen Satellite Wave. For pilots only.

YouTube - CITIZEN x APPLESEED XIII (http://youtu.be/Wk268AmYBuU)

Wk268AmYBuU

zlocko2002
25th Apr 2011, 17:27
seiko automatic diver skx007 with oyster bracelet. if i could get what USA contractor pilots get paid i would buy Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 42mm. I just love diver watches, if you run out of bullets you can use them as weapon :-)

MyTarget
25th Apr 2011, 18:05
Thats what i wear, but i am not from the good ole US of A:ok:

zlocko2002
25th Apr 2011, 19:59
:ok: good taste

TheChitterneFlyer
25th Apr 2011, 20:22
Mine's highly unusual... it's round and has two pointers and... it tells the time!

TCF

alouette
26th Apr 2011, 06:08
One with bigger digits, so I don't have to wear optical ashtrays:E

vaqueroaero
26th Apr 2011, 12:36
The wife gave me this which I really like - it's not so big that it gets in the way.

Tag Heuer Watches & Tag Heuer Watch, WK1113.BA0311, TAG-WK1113.BA0311 at WorldofWatches.com (http://www.worldofwatches.com/segf/TagHeuer_watches_WK1113.BA0311.html)

I also have one of these, but don't really wear it:

Citizen Eco-Drive Promaster Radio Controlled CB0030-56E CB0030-56 Titanium Men's Watch (http://www.creationwatches.com/products/citizen-radio-controlled-204/citizen-eco-drive-promaster-radio-controlled-cb0030-56e-cb0030-56-titanium-men-s-watch-2382.html)

If I had the cash I would love one of these:

BALL Watch Mechanical Timepieces: Swiss Made, American Owned (http://www.ballwatchusa.com/)

But I don't have the cash, so I just look at the website.

La Coneja
13th Jul 2012, 12:10
I´m wearing my Rolex Submariner Date, i bought it in 2002. I use to wear sometimes a Breitling Emergency grey dial or Rolex Explorer 1 from 1970s..... love it.

I hate pilots wearing Mickey Mouse watches, white socks etc..... hate low cost aviation and low cost pilots image.......

Carbon Bootprint
13th Jul 2012, 12:22
If I had the cash I would love one of these:

BALL Watch Mechanical Timepieces: Swiss Made, American Owned (http://www.ballwatchusa.com/)

But I don't have the cash, so I just look at the website.
Ball watches are awesome. :ok:

I've been lusting for one for years. Someday...

Nothing beats the luminosity of real tritium.

FLY 7
13th Jul 2012, 12:29
I rarely look at a watch when I'm flying, but I did want a nice clear analogue timepiece on the panel.

Saw this advertised in Flyer and bought one.

Adriatica Watches Official Website (http://www.adriaticawatches.ch/#/aviation/aviation-collection-24/no-8-326/)

Only £100, excellent quality, very pleased.

flyheli
13th Jul 2012, 16:17
Quite surprising how many Breitling fans are posting....

I absolutely love the Bell & Ross aviator line.... also Fortis makes beautiful aviator watches and not as expensive as Breitling and way less flashy.

Bell & Ross Official Site (http://www.bellross.com)
FORTIS Swiss Watches (http://www.fortis-watches.com/front_content.php)

RVDT
13th Jul 2012, 17:59
Tag Heuer 530.306 K

Rare and out of production since 2003 but mine is 17 years old and looks OK.

Whizz wheel and cheaper than a Breitling!

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/15997206/aview/1279083979777_DSC_0192.JPG

Peter PanPan
19th Mar 2013, 12:53
Have any of you worn Luminox's air collection watches? If so please share with us a review. I tried the F-35 lightening model the other day in a store and found it to be too bulky, inelegant and hard to read time from, except when in "night view" conditions! The night vision tubes are definitely a plus. Price ranges anywhere from $1200 to $1650 (USD).

Redirect Notice (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=luminox+air+watches&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=gIHdVMNCIYS-EM&tbnid=s2Rw7TxSBEX6nM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.juwelier-wegmershaus.de%2Fshop%2FF-117-NIGHTHAWK-3400-Series-Luminox-Air-3402.html&ei=v11IUfLKGcyR0QWOqYHwAw&bvm=bv.43828540,d.ZGU&psig=AFQjCNHV19xCs6_JZ0IxRmJbFep_6VIYuA&ust=1363783425384943)

before landing check list
19th Mar 2013, 13:05
BALL WATCH Watches - Ball Watch Engineer Hydrocarbon Spacemaster Glow - DM2036A-SCA-BK (http://www.2000watches.com/vshop/detail_default/productid_DM2036A-SCA-BK/index.html)

With blue dial. Have to love an automatic chronometer

ropelleri
19th Mar 2013, 14:04
Breitling Navitimer with black leather bracelet

SASless
19th Mar 2013, 15:34
http://www.gshock.com/resource/refresh/images/watches/xlarge/DW6900CS-1_xlarge.png

It gets stolen....well who would steal the thing?:uhoh:

It gets broken....buy another one for less than half a Saw Buck!:D

Weak eyes.....no problem!:O

Cost savings over a Rolex or Breitling.....goes a long ways towards Booze and Broads!:ok:

EN48
19th Mar 2013, 17:58
Been flying FW and helo for a very long time. Some things I have learned:
1. A wrist watch is not the most useful time instrument for in flight use. Panel mount for me, please.
2. Have tried a wide range of watches over the years including Rolex, Fortis, and Oris. Mechanical watches are a pain, IMHO. Must be wound, set etc frequently especially if you dont use them daily. All of my higher end mechanical watches have required repair early in their life. Also, generally not as accurate as an electronic watch.
3. All of the buttons and dials are a waste for aviation - too hard to use and read in flight. OK as babe bait, however.
4. My vote goes to the Citizen Eco Drive for most useful, most trouble free for aviation use. This one in particular: Citizen Watch Company (http://www.citizenwatch.com/en-us/watches/watch-detail/?model=BM8475-26E) Can be had for around $125 if you shop around. Claimed to run for 20 years or more, with no need to change batteries. Cant verify that yet as the two I have only have 7 and 12 years on them respectively (with no problems of any kind).

In the end its a personal choice: value, useability and reliability more important to me than style.

Dennis Kenyon
19th Mar 2013, 20:15
Oh dear .... I was about to post a pic of my gold Seiko 'Micky Mouse' automatic watch. But don't like getting shot down. Strictly limited edition tho' ... each one numbered. Mine being 2,345,670. So its back to the Sekundo. Take care all. DRK

Outwest
20th Mar 2013, 17:23
Breitling B1.......sent it in for full overhaul as it is 10 years old and is my everyday watch so it has seen some hard use.

Just got a call from the repair shop......standby.....780 Euros!!!

Granted the digital light is almost non-existent, some buttons were seized, so it probably needs a whole new guts, but still that is about 30% of what the watch cost new :uhoh:

Harry the Hun
20th Mar 2013, 21:03
What do you need a watch for, there are more than enough clocks all over the place in a modern cockpit, and in case of emergency ask the copilot, they usually wear watches the size of a frisbee.

Rotordent
20th Mar 2013, 22:19
I use this versatile watch: https://www.slyde.ch/en/
suitable for any occasion:):):):)

Devil 49
21st Mar 2013, 12:32
Big display, auto backlight, dual time zones, count up/down timer w/various repeat, vibrating alarm (the "must have feature" from this day forward)- Cheap, ugly and unbreakable.

flyheli
21st Mar 2013, 15:07
I'm also a big fan of FORTIS. Bought my first Chrono when I started flying and Fortis had only 6 different watches or so.

BELL & ROSS also has some amazing time pieces but I can only afford the fake ones ;)

jpinx
22nd Mar 2013, 21:44
Breitling Navitimer circa 1960 with slide-rule

Aynayda Pizaqvick
22nd Mar 2013, 23:48
What do you need a watch for, there are more than enough clocks all over the place in a modern cockpit, and in case of emergency ask the copilot, they usually wear watches the size of a frisbee.

You clearly don't fly a military helicopter (or a British one anyway). When seconds count what you really want is one small, poorly positioned, massively inaccurate and impossibly difficult to read analogue clock! Ok, so that's the last thing you want but that's all you get! Gives you an excuse when you time on target is a bit off though.

The military watch of choice (certainly on ops anyway) is the venerable Casio F91W, now available in an array of unattractive colours. I do also own a Breitling penis extension which (contrary to a previous post on here) has actually been a great investment as it has double in price over the past 7 years! Oh, and for all those that say they are rubbish and inaccurate, it hasn't lost a second in the last 5 months!

jpinx
23rd Mar 2013, 06:18
My breitling is about 45 years old and is still keeping time to within one second per week. The slide rule was invaluable pre-calculator days ;) and it has no batteries to run out ;)