PDA

View Full Version : Simulated I.F. with an Alpha helmet

Brilliant Stuff
9th Jan 2008, 13:54
For the old helmets one could buy a hood which would clip onto the helmet therefore allowing you to do simulated I.F. but with the current alpha you no longer can do that which means having to use foggles which give you a headache within 10 minutes or you have to slacken the helmet which makes it noisy. Surely some of you know of a better solution?

We would be very grateful for some pointers.

Regards BS

QTG
9th Jan 2008, 14:41
Try "Jeppshades" (with an extended strap) from jeppesen.com

Flying Bull
10th Jan 2008, 09:46
Hi BS,
there are self adhesive pieces around, which you can put on the clear visor.
So you can do the visor down and do sim IFR - and by putting the visor up again, have full vision.
You can remove the sheets and put them on another plastic and use them several times unless they loose this self adhesive funktion.
Don't ask me, where we buy them, but they are real cool.
Probably you can cut them yourself out of these plastik table covers on rolls, they seem to stick the same way.
Take white ones, more like flying through clouds ;-)

Greetings Flying Bull

Brilliant Stuff
11th Jan 2008, 21:53
Thanks Flying Bull that is excellent thinking.

Halt die Ohren steif.

Kiwi63
12th Jan 2008, 21:00
Just make your own one. Use some velcro with sticky backing, and a car windscreen sun shield (one of the silver fold out types works well, it has the right amount of rigidity and flex). Put one side of the velcro on your helmet - probably on the visor cover, only need three small peices left, right, centre. Then cut a peice out of the sun shield to the right width to wrap a curve over your helmet, but sticking way too far out front initially, and attach it to your helmet with the other side of the velcro. Then sit in your helicopter and slowly trim it back to the right shape and size. Cover the edges with tape to stop them from fraying. You now have a custom-made, perfect size, IF hood, that folds flat and can sit in your helmet bag. Take it with you always and use it frequently. Happy IF...

Brilliant Stuff
13th Jan 2008, 18:10
Cheers Kiwi, I will give that a try.