PDA

View Full Version : Back to school.

Rule5
9th Jan 2008, 11:09
Hi all.
After a bit postponing, I recently decided to make the jump to ATPL(H). I've been considering GCNS (Glasgow) but have heard great things from quite a few friends doing Bristol. Just not sure I have the discipline to do distance learning.:= Also, Glasgows 98% pass rate on their in-house course sounds quite convincing.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Whirlygig
9th Jan 2008, 11:27
I'm not sure Glasgow does ATPL(H), I thought they just did ATPL(A). Whilst the subject content is essentially the same apart from Principles of Flight, you do need to be enrolled on a specific ATPL(H) course.

Cheers

Whirls

yellowsubmarine
9th Jan 2008, 11:37
During my ATPL course there was a an ATPL (H) student in with a classs of 15 or so ATPL (A) students, he just did the extra reading for POF and some small differences in PERF on his own time.

Not sure if other FTO's do it the same way, but from my experience you should have no problem doing ATPL (H) alongside us sane fixed wing pilots.

Whirlygig
9th Jan 2008, 11:44
I think the school has to be authorised though to enter students for the exams. Ground schools have to countersign the exam entry form.

Cheers

Whirls

Just goo-goo'd it - yes, Glasgow is authorised for ATPL(H) interim. For the difference in the fees and presuming you wouldn't have to pay for accommodation in Glasgow, I'd reckon full-time would be worth it. Use Bristol Ground school online question bank (which even Bristol students have to pay for) and you could have it done in 6 months.

Rule5
9th Jan 2008, 21:26
Yeh i've already been in touch with Glasgow who obviously had great things to say about the school. Although I live in Inverness, I'd have to cough up for the full-time accomodation in Glasgow. The course is affordable though and apparently completed in 26 weeks, which would be fantastic. I'm not sure there are any other schools in Scotland?

Thanks for any input.