View Full Version : JAA Exams

Johnny_56
9th Jan 2008, 09:22
G'day everyone,

Am just wondering if anyone out there has done the JAA Atpl exams.

-Are they possible to self study?
-How are the exams done? Cyber exams?

Any other info would be great

Also does anyone know how to convert a Australian MECIR to a JAA one? is it simply a matter of paying, or is there a flight test.

cheers

Howard Hughes
9th Jan 2008, 09:26
There have been many threads on this in the past, it is quite an involved process! Shoot a PM off to Redsnail (http://www.mccannhj.flyer.co.uk/), she is the resident expert, she also has a website which answers most of your questions.:ok:

Johnny_56
10th Jan 2008, 07:31
Cheers for that mate

Howard Hughes
10th Jan 2008, 07:43
No worries, good luck with it!:ok:

Aussie
10th Jan 2008, 10:17
Just did the whole conversion In 06/07 from Aus to Euro. Pm for specific details.

Good luck

redsnail
10th Jan 2008, 13:13
is it simply a matter of paying?

Oh yes, and then some... If you thought CASA were good at charging, you haven't seen any thing yet.

Self study? Depends on you and your background. You can't just pitch up and have a go at them. You are well advised to speak to the lads at Bristol Ground School. I did them full time and it was a big effort. It's settled down a lot since I did them but it's still a mountain of pretty much obscure facts that you apparently need to know. The ATPL exams also give you the IR theory as well...

They are multiguess and in paper form.

As for the IR, you'll need to do some flying. Fortunately it's got a bit more reasonable and you can use synthetic trainer time for the total time. I believe min hours is 15. The CAA examiner fees will leave you pretty breathless and in shock so do your medical early.

If you intend to get it done in the UK, you'll need a JAA Class 1 medical and that's done at Gatwick. You'll love that place.

I was under the impression that there were a few jobs going in Oz? The market appears to be slowing for low houred guys (ie sub 500) except for Ryanair. (That's a whole new world of hurt unless you're already rated etc).
If you've got a few hours, namely 2-3,000 with turbine etc then the market's still pretty bouyant but the UK economy is definitely slowing down.

Aussie
10th Jan 2008, 21:45
Gday Redsnail :)

Yeah your spot on with the market slowing for the sub 500 hr guys... have a couple mates, 400hrs TT. I did the conversions with them and they went to the UK 8 months ago searching for work and still no luck! Not as easy as they expected.

Good luck!