PDA

View Full Version : Laser Vision Correction in Oz and CASA

Peter Fanelli
9th Jan 2008, 00:37
What's the word re CASA and LASIK procedures?
Accepted or not?

clay ramback
9th Jan 2008, 04:59
No problem at all. I had both eyes LASIK'ed by my DAO.

cessnaman172
9th Jan 2008, 05:42
CASA once told me a few years ago, that I would need to take 6 months off from flying, so I decided against it.

Does the procedure need to be carried out by DAO?

Lasiorhinus
9th Jan 2008, 10:44
Absolutely OK - i had Lasik well before I got my student licence - its never been a problem.

But DONT limit yourself to getting the procedure done by a DAO. I dont know if any of the good surgeons are actually DAOs or not - but if you're contemplating LASIK,

GET THE BEST SURGEON IN THE COUNTRY and dont even contemplate letting anyone but the best get anywhere near your eyes with that blade or that laser beam.
Theyre your only set of eyes!!

For the record, my extensive research led me to Grant Snibson, in Royal Parade, Melbourne, as the best in the business. Avoid that certain operator who advertises with big billboards, and who's initials remind people of certain small chocolates. Its no coincidence that he is notorious among the opthamologists of the country.

Do your research, because theres a couple of variations of the procedure in common use, too, and depending on which one you go for will greatly affect your recovery time. They each have their advantages and disadvantages - mainly to do with risks, both during the procedure and subsequent,but also to do with patient comfort.
Theres a new technology, "no-touch", that has been developed since i had mine done, which apparently combines the best bits of the PRK and LASIK while reducing the negative effects of both.

Feel free to PM me if you want to know anything more about the whole deal.

Peter Fanelli
9th Jan 2008, 11:58
I've actually already had it done last week. It was just during a conversation with a friend in Australia last night the subject of CASA approval came up and I must admit I had not considered whether it was ok in Australia, not that I have any intention of returning to fly in Australia.

Amazing procedure, distance vision now 20/20 but being an old fart still need reading glasses.

All the latest technology, bladeless "all laser" lasik.

spanner90
9th Jan 2008, 12:06
Lasiorhinus, couldn't agree more.

Had both eyes done (LASIK) in 1999. I found the best I could. At the time he wrote the defence policy for aircrew eye surgery. Also looked after the Wallabies and others who require better than average vision.

Found it took some weeks to settle down, but was able to return to work, and drive, within four days. Night driving was a little dodgy for about two weeks, and perfect within about two - three months. Far better even than corrected vision prior to surgery.

As far as I know, the only restriction is commencing defence aircrew training, not continuing. (This may have changed)

In short, find the best surgeon with the technique you choose, and go for it.:cool:

Peter Fanelli
9th Jan 2008, 16:14
There are many places here in the US that have prices as low as $299.00 per eye, but lets face it, who'd want a bargain basement procedure done on such an important asset as your eyesight.
I am very very happy with my results, just had the second checkup and vision is now better than 20/20. Don't know what that equates to on the Australian scale. Night vision is also pretty good at this point and will get better as time passes.

Even though I'm not doing any flying these days I might have to go buy a ride with an instructor just to try out the new vision, who knows it might get me fired up to start flying again.

Wish I could have done it 30 years ago!

Roller Merlin
10th Jan 2008, 08:27
Spanner90, the ADF changed the recruiting rules a few years ago to allow for aircrew applicants who have had certain types of laser eye surgery. I am not well informed on this but know that some types are now allowed.

For anyone interested in applying for ADF aircrew and need eye correctin, they should contact their local recruiting centre, and ask for a copy of the policy regarding corrective eye surgery for ADF aircrew applications. Failing that, ask for the aircrew recruiting officer, and ask them where to get the written information. Get the facts and beware that the first person you contact on the line may be a contractor who may not be able to answer many of your questions.

kenchie
11th Jan 2008, 21:21
I actually had it a couple months ago and the result to me was amazing. I had an eye surgery in my2020 (http://www.my2020.com) by Dr. Stephen B. Wiles one of the leading eye surgeons today. The healing process was fast because they used ac advanced technology and state of the art facilities. The link might help you to understand about Lasik and if you have some other question related to lasik that one might help you. God bless

airjordan
13th Jan 2008, 11:31
had PRK done about 16 months ago, could not do lasik due to my cornea being too thin with my prescription so went PRK and the new procedure wasn't out back then.

I had it done at Laser Sight Centre in Parramatta-Sydney.

20/20 is equivalent to 6/6 in Oz. 20/20 is in feet where 6/6 is metres. That is regarded as perfect vision but is not the smallest on an eye chart, it is actually the 3rd smallest.

In Oz, it goes right down from 6/6 to 6/5 then 6/4.

Happy to report that since one month of the procedure i'm 6/4 on each eye individually.

No probs with CASA for me. I actually did the PRK procedure and waited 3 months before i even started to fly and 6 months to do my very first class 1 medical.

Great to hear some other success stories. I spent many hours searching and reading online forums about info for laser correction and aviation as I did not want to kill my dream of flying.

cheers