PDA

View Full Version : EY Cabin Crew - Are they airline standard?

Basil-Fawlty
8th Jan 2008, 20:15
:confused:
I have often wondered about the way EY has grown over the past few years, and whether any progress has been achieved in reaching the standard of other airlines in the region? They have a reasonably good fleet and mostly good pilots, but what about the cabin crew?? Are they professional enough to be classified in line with some of the world's best airline cabin crews?? How are they viewed in comparison to other airlines in the Gulf region?

In my humble opinion they are most certainly NOT of the same standard. Why, one must ask. Well the reasons are too many to list but here are a few; their training (if any) is quite bad and that is certainly reflected in their working practices on board. Their approach and attitude is not desirable to say the least. Their length of experience in the industry is not that long at all, in fact some of them were just fresh from hotels or high class restaurants. I do admit that some are very friendly and polite, but is that really enough to qualify them to be professional crew who could handle difficult situations (should they arise) and for them to take the lead??? In my humble opinion certainly NOT. I know one or two come from a professional airline background such as LX and so forth, but the rest could do with a lot of progressive training to be able to compete in this financially vicious industry. I always wondered if their management are really qualified to lead them. Apologies should my remarks offend some, believe me no offence is intended. It is just an observation.

Any comments on close encounters with EY cabin crew will be appreciated.......:ok:

ladyflyby
8th Jan 2008, 20:47
All I can say is that after attending one of their assessment days, I have thought twice about working for the company. The assessments take nothing of your academic achievements, past employment etc... into account. It was a shambles and with a ratio of 60:1 candidates to recruiters, the whole thing was disorganised and many talented, experienced people were turned away.

Mustapha Rex
9th Jan 2008, 03:20
For EY to have crew to industry standards, a few things need to happen.

One, get rid of the GF mafia in the crew, they have nothing to offer EY apart from unisionised thinking, laziness, we come from the best airline mentality when in reality it's a disaster, and last but not least prostitution.

Second, the people managing the crew, need to be given an agenda of what the company requires in terms of performance, numbers, definitions, and authority. Get rid of any managment that does not tow the line and particularly anything from GF or thos redndant airlines.

third, train, train, train and still train, there is never enough training regardless of what field you are in, in the case of EY though since we are defintely behind, training needs to be continual.

Maybe if this advice is heeded thisngs will change, but since I know it wont', i've decided to respond to the competition down the road.

Desert Diner
9th Jan 2008, 03:57
In the old days (read last century) you would have girls comming out to the ME to work as CC in order to be able to live the "adventure" for a few years. They were friendlier and more motivated.

Now the "adventure" seems to have disapeared, and most of them are here for the money. As the money tends to be peanuts, the friendliness and motivation also is in short supply.

Contrary to ME belief, training will not produce motivation or friendliness.

Mustapha Rex
9th Jan 2008, 04:06
Valid point, so what does?

Desert Diner
9th Jan 2008, 04:17
so what does?

I would sugest recruiting those that show that quality. The problem is that these type of individuals no longer tend to apply.

This problem is also not confined to the ME. The crews on European / American carriers are getting worse and worse also

Mustapha Rex
9th Jan 2008, 04:20
Still think that if an outfit is good these problems are somewhat lessened!

clevlandHD
9th Jan 2008, 05:04
Desert Diner said: "The crews on European / American carriers are getting worse and worse also"

I disagree, on American carriers the crews are becoming older and older...

Desert Diner
9th Jan 2008, 05:14
I disagree, on American carriers the crews are becoming older and older...

So you think their attitudes are improving?

Desert Diner
9th Jan 2008, 05:17
Still think that if an outfit is good these problems are somewhat lessened!

Agreed.

Strange how these type of threads tend to be directed at GF and EY:confused:

miss petal
9th Jan 2008, 05:32
I did post my comment about the EY CC. There was a time I travel with 4 different airline in the middle east. I wouldn't include the GF CC, as they're really a joke. I'm sorry but the safety standard perform by the GF girls is zero.
So I wouldn't include them in the comparison.

The QR girls were brilliant, despite the story I heard about how the management. Just like SQ, the airline I love to travel with but not to work with.

On the other hand, EY full with inexperienced people. Their level of customer service is poor. Even the senior was 'scared' to address problem and hide in the galley. I had to ask 3 times to the cabin crew regarding the socket that didn't work... just simply because nobody came back to me. And when I went to the galley the senior aware of the problem but choose to stay in the galley instead of informing me, I would accept it of course. But the fact nobody came back to me?

They're very loud in the cabin even louder than the EK crew! Feels like watching bunch of kids playing around in the kindergarten.

Bunch of crew who would most likely to run when they have to face a medical case or the first one to jump out the aircraft during emergeny.
I know it didn't happen, but it's only my quick judgment. I flew with them 3 times, enough to observe.

But then back to the company and the problem the cabin crew and the pilot are facing against the management.. I really do feel sorry for them. I hope things will get better this year.

ironbutt57
9th Jan 2008, 07:25
Well I can comment on the GF crew when they were here, 95% were hard-working and did a fine job, given the tools they were provided with...can't speak for their performance there, although many ex GF flt deck crew seem to indicate this has not changed...and tend to not differentiate between "original Etihad" and ex GF...

Monkeytoo
10th Jan 2008, 19:54
Flown in this region with Singapore Air, Cathay, Etihad, Emirates and Jazeera.
My list from good to bad Cabin crew would be Cathay, Singapore, Jazeera, Etihad and lastly Emirates!!! - I have come across some 'shocking' cabin crews on Emirates.

alghazal
11th Jan 2008, 12:59
Except a minority of experienced sensed people, ex EK, ex Kuwait, ex EZY, ex Western World, the others are between useless and hopeless.

The only thing they want is come back to AUH to work their primary job : Sexslaves.
They are greedy, stupid enough to think that they will stay on the local's market more than 3 years, just enough for them to get too chubbier eating aircraft food or too skinny suffering from any s:mad:y transmittable disease.:ugh:

Furthermore, they think they can rule the aircraft and the people inside...:ugh::ugh:

Most of them have the education and the politeness of a donkey.... sad for my friend the donkey.:{

But sadly, they are not even standing in their poor attitudes... As soon as they feel threatened, they behave like sheeps....shetland's or kiwi sheeps.

No more Jumpseats to go sell their body abroad, not talking about their long time sold and gone soul, if it ever existed.

Welcome to EY

wastafarian
11th Jan 2008, 13:08
prety hard to judge an airline on a few flites. flew ethad 3 times one memrable flite wuz a real gong show. i'm not talkin' about kiss my ass service but securty procedures voilated, just because the backend crew coodn't be bothered i like to think that it was just becase they were newbees, but they finaly draged their ases to do half the stuff after there purser screemed at them from the other end of the econemy class cabin. worst atitiudes i have ever seen.

Basil-Fawlty
11th Jan 2008, 16:50
:confused:
So what do we have here for a list!!!??? let me see. If I could elaborate and give my own analysis after the comments already given by others, and thank the participants for their valuable input I can safely say:
Basil-Fawlty (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=202461)

their training (if any) is quite bad ......obvious
Their length of experience in the industry is not that long.......also obvious
Their approach and attitude is not desirable .........attitude sucks:eek:ladyflyby (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=176994)

I have thought twice about working for the company ..........bunch of disorganised jackasses
the whole thing was disorganised..........again a bunch of disorganised jackasses :(Mustapha Rex (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=113750)

the people managing the crew need to be given an agenda of what the company requires in terms of performance, numbers, definitions, and authority.....management lost and useless and haven't got a clue:rolleyes:
third, train, train, train and still train.........obvious
i've decided to respond to the competition down the road.........bunch of Fu.....king no hopers and I give up:{
if an outfit is good these problems are somewhat lessened!........place need overhauling:sad:
get rid of the GF mafia in the crew......bad and shifty cabin crew and must re-consider and rethink the whole selection proceduresDesert Diner (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=126389)

most of them are here for the money.......don't give a rat's ar**se and are selfish about anyone else but themselves...me me me me:}
training will not produce motivation or friendliness.........totally hopeless and do not waste your money on training. Get people with real personalities
I would suggest recruiting those that show that quality..........sack the whole bitches and get new onesmiss petal (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=122156)

Their level of customer service is poor........don't give a rat ar**se and selfish about anyone else but themselves...me me me me
senior was 'scared' to address problem and hide in the galley.......gutless to face the problem
I had to ask 3 times to the cabin crew...........they don't give a rat's ar**se:ooh:
I went to the galley the senior aware of the problem but choose to stay in the galley instead of informing me............the senior is as bad as the rest of the cabin crew. Don't give a senior rat's ar**se
They're very loud in the cabin even louder than the EK crew...........higher decibels part of passenger management training??....possibly due to previous work environments
Bunch of crew who would most likely to run when they have to face a medical case or the first one to jump out the aircraft during emergency......not only useless but scared ****less:*alghazal (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=141916)

Sexslaves.........willing to do anything for the money:ooh:
They are greedy, stupid.......well greedy and stupid!!!!! What can I say?
too chubbier eating aircraft food or too skinny suffering from any s:mad:y transmittable disease..........have very poor diet and in need of more exercise and should ask for a condom when having sex
they think they can rule the aircraft and the people inside..:ugh:.......bunch of tyrants possibly due to previous masochist sexual encounters with flight crews
Most of them have the education and the politeness of a donkey........ they spend a lot of time horsing around (or is that donkeying around??)
But sadly, they are not even standing in their poor attitudes.....poor attitude
they behave like sheep............ possibly due to the thick skin they are wearing (or is it because they are donkeys?):oh:
No more Jumpseats to go sell their body abroad, not talking about their long time sold and gone soul, if it ever existed...........they have been jumping seats and laps enough!!:ooh: wastafarian (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=112883)

flew etihad 3 times one memrable flite wuz a real gong show..........traumatising experience and an eye opener (educational experience) security procedures violated, just because the backend crew couldn't be bothered....unaware and uninformed of the recent changes of BAA security and one bag per person procedure
think that it was just because they were newbees.............inexperience
but they finally dragged their arses to do half the stuff after their purser screamed at them from the other end of the economy class cabin.......a bit of motivation can go a long way...
worst attitudes I have ever seen.........very obvious.Thank you my fellow aviators and EY management take note.
happy & Safe flying to all from Sybil, Polly and Manuel!:ok:

BF

left_to_first_class
11th Jan 2008, 20:32
Slightly off topic, when demo-ing the flight safety, where in the cabin should the crew stand on wide body a/c?
When I fly BA, KL, AF, the crew on both sides of the isle stand on the same row across, so if you sat in the middle seat in the middle isle and glanced up you would see a member of crew to your left and right.
GF I notice have their crew position in sort of a zig-zag position, so if you were sitting in that middle isle middle seat, you will only see one near crew member, either left or right of you. Surely this is not good comms?

Back to CC - need to pick them for their skills and personalities and not just looks. Ultimately you are responsible for the safetly and well being of the passenger in event of an emergency, and need the appropriate skills to act in such event.

wastafarian
11th Jan 2008, 20:43
flew etihad 3 times one memrable flite wuz a real gong show..........traumatising experience and an eye opener (educational experience) security procedures violated, just because the backend crew couldn't be bothered....unaware and uninformed of the recent changes of BAA security and one bag per person procedure

actuly basil it was more serios than that. after about a half an hour delay 5 emeratis decide- we aint gonna go. were walkin. they get off. then a gate agent comes on bord to get their duty free shobing bag they left. i mention to the stewardes i dont know if they left anything else. no atempt to match cary on with other pax on bord or ask other pax if they saw anything. no even open overhed bin to check if they left anythign. i know it aint smart but is it even legal?

then once we get goin the stews didnt want to do that safety demo when some of the screens were inop. they say the screens in the next compartment work (duh... cant see them though the are blocked by a bulkhead). purser told them to do manual demo. they hesitated hopin they cud ignore it like the cary on matching- which the purser also said theyd need to do. then when they didn-t the purser started screeming from over the wing to the back of the airplane "are we going to get ready?!?!?" :ooh:

meanwhile there video was playing something all flite long about how much beter they are than other airlines... not!!!!

BYMONEK
12th Jan 2008, 20:32
LEFT TO FIRST CLASS

You wouldn't have a problem spotting the crew during the safety brief if you travelled with Emirates.

They'll be all over the cabin, handing out newspapers, hot towels, giving out menus, eye shades. In fact, anything BUT safety related duties as it's all on video.

Problem is, they become so service focused, no one noticed the other day when the video failed to play. Still, socks fitted well.

skytrax
12th Jan 2008, 21:16
If the safety video fails to play a manual demo its done by the crew. Im talking about Emirates here not Etihad!
I refuse to belive that you took off without any of this two on an EK flight!
(however everything is possible these days)
BTW, what flight was that?!

You said:
"They'll be all over the cabin, handing out newspapers, hot towels, giving out menus, eye shades. In fact, anything BUT safety related duties as it's all on video."

What exactly do you want them do do? I dont understand! Everything is explained to you in the video and they only do the manual demonstration if the video is not working!
You also have a safety card in your seat pocket that you should read!

Im not trying to defend the crew but they do a lot of things regardind safety even if you dont observe it. I wont go through them now but I can do it if you want me to explain! e.g. safety and security checks, securing the cabin for TO, arming the doors, reporting etc.

cantilever
13th Jan 2008, 02:54
Hmmmm let me think where have I heard all that old boll##ks before:confused:

Is it called talking up your part??:}

BYMONEK
13th Jan 2008, 08:19
It's quite simple.

The majority of crew are too engrossed with their service related paraphernelia during boarding to notice whether the video plays. Some crew even have to be reminded to arm their doors as they're so 'busy' in the cabin. And what happens on the rare occassions when the video fails to play? Have you seen the chaos that ensues as Crew rush around trying to remember the location of their demo equipment and then execute an improvised version of YMCA as they point towards exits? It's not pretty!

To be honest, the fault lies with the Airlines. They all say safety is the prime concern but in my opinion, and experience, actions speak louder than words. The good ones have the Cabin Crew in the the cabin during the safety brief, thus reinforcing the message and making the crew aware of their primary role. The passengers themselves are focused on the safety issues instead of deciding if they'd like a wine menu.

The safety card may well be in the seatpocket but as John Wayne once said; " You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it"!

Mustapha Rex
14th Jan 2008, 08:19
Bymonek,

I will add to that by simply stating that the airline is run by morons for imbeciles.

Crew are poorly trained, they have no clear instructions and the bosses are concerned with making money not giving a service.

The crew will do as they please as long as they get paid. They are not accountable and like their managers irresponsible and wiull stay as long as EY is a party.

EY is going down and going down fast.