View Full Version : Need Help With Some Cargo Routes

Propilot23k
8th Jan 2008, 17:32
Just looking for some insight here on a good place to base a fleet of 3 A310-200Fs. 5-6 Of them Tops. 300F has a better range and will make it easier but is not an option.

Preferably Somewhere in the USA or Europe Area.

Also I am looking for some good Cargo run routes. The A3102Fs Range is 6,800 km (3,670 nm).

Thanks In Advance Guys!

akerosid
8th Jan 2008, 18:43
How about DUB for a start? Currently no direct flights to Asia or Africa (SIA has just ended its flights), but plenty of potential* - particularly if you feed into another airline's network at a major M/E or African hub?

SIA Cargo operated a 744F; EY is doing very well on cargo, as EI has been (although it is soon to cut DXB route, to focus on US routes) ... Irish govt has strong trade growth plans for Asia.

You could do a lot worse ...

nicop
8th Jan 2008, 20:57
Maybe you should think about Ostend Airport, in Belgium
Lots of free and very cheap parking space open 7/7 365 days a year, YES even with the holidays... No nightrestrictions, curfew or slots...

Room voor building a hanger for cargo handling or maintenance maybe just wat you want in the center of Europe!

www.ost.aero

clevlandHD
9th Jan 2008, 02:56
You should define your business plan somewhere else than Pprune...The 310-200F will take 39t 2200NM or 30t 3000NM. It doesn't have the legs to cross the pond with a load (Wbound anyway!).
By the way, US economy is slowing down so I would look somewhere else.

Propilot23k
9th Jan 2008, 03:22
ok where IS what im asking lol! I need ideas!

BelArgUSA
9th Jan 2008, 04:52
Propilot23K
xxx
Unfortunately. ideas are expensive...
You are stepping in the world of "aviation/airline consultants"...
These people work for commi$$ions.
Consultation is not free. They need to pay their BMW car lease...
You want to move freight/how much/where from/to/how often...
Be ready to lay the 10%...
They know where 35T can be moved and where these planes are.
xxx
Here in Pprune, you find wannabee A380 captains who exchange job info.
So the buddy with same fATPL can steal the info to get an interview.
But in the ton/km world, or pax/km world, does not work that way.
xxx
:)
Happy contrails

Beer_n_Tabs
9th Jan 2008, 08:54
Is this fleet existing or is it just an idea in you head? I a presume it is just an idea becuase surely you don't have several A310 sitting around in your back garden doing nothing?

Basing a fleet is one thing, looking for 'good cargo routes' is another. Trust me when I say what might be profitable in one direction, may seriously eat into your margins on the return sector. Rating structures in cargo are pretty cut throat on many routes..... some rating is just plain crazy.

It really does depend on your plan.

Can't say I am that clued up on the A310, what are the max payloads, and number of positions, ULD type?

Are the a/c full freighter config?

ScootCargoOps
9th Jan 2008, 09:56
DUB (Ireland as a whole) wouldn’t be the greatest option for the Middle East and Far East, at present there is no organic growth within Ireland.

CASS/IATA figures for 2005 vs. 2006 shows a drop of 25% as whole market with no sign of any potential increases.

SQ’s Freighter would have only been there for the Export traffic from the Far East i.e. Imports into Ireland. But with many manufactures (HP, IBM etc) moving out of Ireland there is no demand for the freighter any longer.

I've been in Ireland many times and seen the SQ midweek freighter load up with only a couple of Maindeck Pallets.

The EY flights are only filling up with feeder traffic from the USA.

africa man
9th Jan 2008, 10:58
well i know of an expanding nigerian cargo carrier that may be interested to cover africa and m.e, they would be used as feeder aircraft and would be based in west africa. plenty of work and even the possibility of acmi work with a major international operator if the price was right, if more info required please send a p.m

sirloadalot
9th Jan 2008, 11:50
Africa Man
Is that GAS DAS or CAS:D

MersonFreekicks
9th Jan 2008, 11:53
Plenty of options throughout Europe, all depends on your ACMI costs. Using OST as hub opens up the majority of Europe, offers very good trucking feed and low operating costs. There is a reliable flow of African and ME traffic.

Alternatively, base aircraft in MIA serving the Caribbean, Central America and northerly parts of South America.

Freightened
9th Jan 2008, 13:00
Propilot23k
BelArgUSA is quite right - loads of "consultants" around prepared to charge you a fortune for out of date generalised information. Have spent two years examining freighter aircraft/routes compatibility and crossed many of these so called professionals.

Each participating country's local CASS (Cargo Automated Settlement System) run by IATA has the information showing every city pair, tonnages, revenue, yields etc.

Suggestions of running to the Far East or transatlantic from Europe are inept at best. Do you know what yields these routes get? Lucky to pay for taxying fuel! A full plane is not necessarily a profitable one.

There are opportunities and you don't have to pay consultants but you do need to know where to look. PM me if you need to

Freightened

Propilot23k
9th Jan 2008, 13:29
Thanks for all the wonderful answers! I really appreciate this. Everyone who is talking about consultants........ THIS IS FOR A PAPER. I wish I could start some sort of business with A380s instead of a310s. Its not as serious as you are making it. I just wanted peoples thoughts on somewhere that would be good to base out of as well as routes from there. Money obviously isnt an issue because......ITS FOR A PAPER.

Thank You to everyone who really is helping. My problem is Im trying to figure out how it would be to run a cargo business with limited resources (A310-200).

Any more bases or routes guys?
In my eyes I thought for a USA base Denver might have been a good choice since the A310-200 is a Trans Con aircraft.

Beer_n_Tabs
9th Jan 2008, 13:39
My problem is Im trying to figure out how it would be to run a cargo business with limited resources (A310-200).

Damn difficult is what it would be.
If I were you I would do a paper on buying a small white van and delivering small parcels from A to B.

It would be much easier to write, much easier to implement, and give you more time to concentrate on the important things in life (beer, and loose women).

Oh could you please let us know your name, address, and bank details as we need to know where to send our consultancy fee invoices :ok:

Propilot23k
9th Jan 2008, 13:47
HAhaha....No:hmm:

Trust me I know it would be difficult! It makes it a lil more interesting for writing purposes. I think a base in Denver (KDEN) woud give me complete coverage of the US. A base in the UK is still where im unsure of...Dublin seems ok but ill have alot of hops to get to the far east as well I think.

MersonFreekicks
9th Jan 2008, 14:24
If you are flying from Denver, are you looking to fly internal routes only? If so, I guess there wouldn't be much demand for general cargo as it would be more cost effective to truck internally.

As for operating from the UK, you're better off going to one of the 'regional' airports, for example EMA or STN.

Not sure how you'll get on hopping an A310 all the way to the Far East and back!!! There is so much capacity out of Europe to the Far East, current operators are almost flying cargo for free!

Good luck with the paper.

BelArgUSA
9th Jan 2008, 14:30
Propilot23K
xxx
I don't know about Denver as such a good choice...
The big freight carriers in USA have traditional selection of Ohio, or Indiana locations as "economic centerpoint" of the manufacturer's production statistics in USA.
xxx
For Europe, I would consider Oostende, or Liège-Bierset as best points, with consideration for Maastricht and Luxembourg.
xxx
Africa would be Lagos, (for West Africa) or Nairobi (for East Africa)... Sharjah is best in the Middle East. Asia, could be Kuala Lumpur. Central America is Panama. In South America, would be Campinas, Curitiba or Porto Alegre, yet in Brasil, always mention Manaus, as hub, in a tax free zone...
xxx
:)
Happy contrails

AAL
9th Jan 2008, 14:44
Dear Propilot, just some small simple advice.

To own, operate, and run a small succesful air cargo operation - start with a big one and lots of money!

africa man
9th Jan 2008, 15:39
ooohhh who's being watching the cargoline dvd then.....yes that was a classic line.