PDA

View Full Version : Emirates accommodation

bushpilot206
8th Jan 2008, 05:06
Morning all,
Will join Emirates this month, training in Berlin. Have been told that I will be "allocated a temporary place at first, and then a villa at silicon oasis later on."
How long would temporary be, should we start looking at schools near silicon now, or could temporary mean a villa in town for 6 months, or a year or two? Your experiences much appreciated.

Ketek400
8th Jan 2008, 05:50
Ask EK how long. They will be the only ones that know. It could be 2months or 6 months, but Silicon is all done, so maybe only a few weeks.

tbaylx
8th Jan 2008, 12:36
From what i've seen in limited experience the single guys waiting on apartments are waiting up to 3 months or so for permanent accomodation. Families get moved out of temp into villas pretty fast, within a couple of weeks. If you chose the unfurnished accomodation they automatically put you in temp housing even if your villa is ready just so you don't have to sleep on the floor. Seeing as how you're in Silicon its likely that it will be a limited amount of time, in the matter of a week or so before you get to your permanent accomodation.

Don't quote me though, there are always exceptions.

bushpilot206
10th Jan 2008, 06:08
Thanks for the advice.

ShockWave
13th Jan 2008, 11:08
If you have some money of your own when you arrive, I would say take the furniture allowance. Spend a little more and buy furniture that you like and that you can take home with you when you leave. The stuff Emirates buys is rubbish and will have to be replaced by you if you stay here more than a few years. So if you think you will be here for 5-10 years buy yourself some good furniture to start with.

Tears for Fears
25th Jan 2008, 18:33
Next march I will join Ek and have a few questions about the accomodation:
We (wife +3kids)are thinking to chose the unfurnished option.
-30000 Dhs wil be payed in a lump sum or monthly.
Is it enough for a Ikea or similar kind ?
-How much is the annual allowance to cover maintenance and refurbishment ? (as stated in the contract)
-rent tax,cooking gas,electricity,water charges are payed by the Company, but what is the max ammount ? They mean just the fixed charges and not the compsumptions ,I belive)
- Is the Airconditionning considered as a furniture? (Any villas without A/C ???)
- Is usually the kitchen completly unfurnished (no cupboards/shelves/oven/ fridge ...)
- Any other similar compound villas as Silicon Oasis ?
By the way, do you think the unfurnished accomodation is a good option or better choose the furnished one, which seems a faster solution to settle down .

Tks for your help.

BYMONEK
25th Jan 2008, 19:36
I found four kitchens in my house without cupbords and shelves. Decided to use them as bedrooms instead! :ugh:

Seriously, you'll have to provide the fridge/oven if you go unfurnished but you'll get the kitchen units thrown in. Literally! A/C is also included in all accom. regardless of the option you take. My advice. Take the allowance.

They used to give a handout with all these details a few years back. Has this stopped?

troff
25th Jan 2008, 21:07
The idea behind the 30K Durhams so that you can pile all your stuff from home into a matchbox (container) and bring it over. It will not, I repeat NOT furnish your house. If you show up in an unfurnished place and spend your money on site you will get a TV, couch, coffee table, a couple of matresses, and some pots and pans, without much left over for your MMI license.
If anything, bring your own "kitchen starter kit" as the stuff provided isn't what you are used to and you won't have time to think about going out, finding, then buying stuff like spices.
Also bring sheets and a pillow.
T

boeingbusbenn
26th Jan 2008, 01:43
Is there a link to photos or floorplans of the villas and apartments at Silicon Oasis?

Wizofoz
26th Jan 2008, 04:07
Go to www.siliconoasis.org and look at "About DSO".

Trader
26th Jan 2008, 05:52
Tears - I went for the unfurnished option and am happy I did. The quality of the provided furniture is ok I just don't like it. Every day on the silicon website there is someone selling some part of their company furniture so you can pick up odd pieces if you need.

I spent 14,000 on a fridge, stove, washer and dryer - all top line Bosch. You could obviously spend much less. Other stuff I am bringing over.

Consumption of gas, electricity and water is covered by the company.

Trader
26th Jan 2008, 06:03
Tears - I went for the unfurnished option and am happy I did. The quality of the provided furniture is ok I just don't like it. Every day on the silicon website there is someone selling some part of their company furniture so you can pick up odd pieces if you need.

I spent 14,000 on a fridge, stove, washer and dryer - all top line Bosch. You could obviously spend much less. Other stuff I am bringing over.

Consumption of gas, electricity and water is covered by the company.

The money is paid in a lump sum, by cheq, about 4 or 5 days after you arrive.

harry the cod
26th Jan 2008, 16:42
As you can see, Bosch are so good that Trader now has 2 fridges, 2 stoves, 2 washers.............................. :p

Harry

Trader
26th Jan 2008, 18:24
....and TWO wives..........ahhhhhh.....wait a minute....nope one is enough.......

ironbutt57
27th Jan 2008, 04:48
Dont "out" your self Trader....thats one wife and two "hire in's":ok:

sam le grand
29th Jan 2008, 10:32
Hi everyone !

Does anyone know whether DNATA are recruiting Ground Ops managers in Dubai at the moment ? Has anyone been contacted yet or has an interview in the next few weeks/months ?
My mate told me they are constantly recruiting throughout the year..
Give me hope !
Cheeers
Sam:rolleyes:

ANFA
29th Jan 2008, 15:53
Just interested if anyone knows if these Villa's are new? Are they the one's that current new hires are being shown? thanks

AA717driver
29th Jan 2008, 20:47
IronButt57--I'm getting closer and closer to blatantly disregarding your advice... :ugh:;) TC

northeast canuck
29th Jan 2008, 23:27
In the pilot briefing they send before interview it says that the company discourage pets in company accommodation, but that they recognise some people might want to bring them so it might be OK (or something like that).

Has anyone got pets in company accomodation? We have a dog and this would be a showstopper if we cannot bring him. No dog = no wife (no jokes please!).

BigGeordie
30th Jan 2008, 06:14
It's a typical Dubai answer that you will get used to hearing after a couple of weeks- sorry, days- here. They phrase it like that because nobody wants to make a decision and say yes or no incase it comes back to haunt them.

However, lots of people do have pets in company accommodation. If you get a villa a dog won't be a problem. Obviously a Great Dane in a 2 bedroom apartment might not work so well.

northeast canuck
30th Jan 2008, 07:18
Cheers BigGeordie!

troff
31st Jan 2008, 01:36
Pets are OK. Will cost to get the thing over here but if it keeps the wife happy... Happy wife, happy life.
We have a feline in a villa but I know a number of couples with K-9's in low and high rise apartments.
There was never a furrowed eyebrow in the interview when it came to what the family consisted of, which included the damn cat.
From the get-go I told them what I wanted and although I had to wait a bit for it, I got just what was asked for.
Although I'm sure the thing would like to sh*t in my shoe and tear my flight bag to shreds, it makes "her" happy to have "it" here, and that makes a huge difference in the home life.
Hope this helps.
T