PDA

View Full Version : What Happens in a Medical?

JustinG
7th Jan 2008, 17:38
I'm a high school student and I'm in the process of applying at an airline pilot academy and part of the application is to get a 1st or 2nd class medical certificate.

I was just wondering if anyone can tell me what exactly they check to make sure I'm fit to fly? I know eyesight, hearing, etc. but is there anything else they check?

obgraham
8th Jan 2008, 18:53
Young man asks a question and gets.....

Now, Justin you are quite right to ask this question before embarking on an expensive training plan. If you have no medical issues, you should have no problem passing the FAA-required medical exam. The exam itself is very superficial. They check your vision and hearing, listen to your ticker, poke your stomach, finger-to-nose. That sort of thing. You pee in a cup. Pants remain on.

The real issue is your medical history. If you have been treated for any psychological conditions, particularly ADHD, depression, anxiety, etc there are significant obstacles for you. Likewise neurologic conditions, sleep disorders, and any kind of substance abuse.

I suggest you go to www.aopa.org where you can find a lot if information about this topic. You can also download FAA form 8500-8 which is the questionnaire you will fill in when you apply.

gingernut
8th Jan 2008, 20:08
I've only been the subject to a class II, which is no big deal. (Better than seeing a dentist!)

I wouldn't imagine a class I would be any more invasive. They wanna make sure that you won't drop dead at the controls, and, as obsg states, no amount of prodding and probing will predict that. The key,indeed, is in the story you tell the doc.

Seriously though, the examination should follow the history. In a fit young wannabee, this'll probably involve the surface testing of the major systems of the body.

It will involve taking your clothes off, he/she will ask you to do certain things to test the nerves in the head, (shrugging your shoulders, frowning, smiling, following a finger with you eyes). He/she will thenprobably test your respiratory system, (listening to your chest, tapping fingers between your ribs, blowing hard in tube), your heart, (again, listening at your chest, taking your blood pressure&pulse), feeling your abdomen (pressing your tummy), and your urolgical system, (which may indeed include a gentle examination of the testicles, but no more than you would do when your examining yourself, ).

There maybe a few other bits and bobs, such as testing your reflexes, (hitting your bits gently with a rubber hammer) and feeling for pulses (pressing on your ankles with their fingertips).

All routine, 'nowt to worry about, if I've missed anything out then feel free to contribute:)

gingernut
9th Jan 2008, 12:23
Ok chaps, enough is enough:)

Can we leave any further funnies until after this chaps medical.