PDA

View Full Version : B200 Operational ?'s

redpirate
7th Jan 2008, 04:02
New to the Forum, New the the King Air 200. Hello All!!

I am a new PIC to the KA 200 - I have been to Flight Safety Initial but there is no one in my organization with KA experience. . . looking for some insight.

1. Flying the actual aircraft the 'runup' seems extremely long. Testing Pressurization, Vacuum and Pneumatic pressure, Overspeed Gov/rudder boost, Autofeather. . . . To date I have done all of these every flight (well first one of the day at a minimum) and it seems to take an excessive amount of time. Can someone recemend a quick order or words of advice? What is normally done?

2. Guess I am guiltly of ready the training manual cover to cover and only sections of the POH - anyone know the zero-thrust setting for simulated engine out?

I think that is all for now - sure that I will have more as I get more time in the Aircraft!

Thanks everyone

powerstall
7th Jan 2008, 10:29
how old is your B200 anyway? serial number wise? how much do you fly it in a month?

just a bit from my previous company,

normally, after both engine start, we just do the after start checklist-taxi checklist then the autofeather check and that's about it, then proceed to the holding point for the before takeoff checklist.

we do the pressurization, rudder boost test etc. every 15th of the month, to see if there will be any preceding or any small indication of a future problem. If our mechanics find something, they'll take action asap.

we kinda lose lots of time, not to mention fuel burn (Benjamin$) just by doing the checks if we do them all the time before flying.

Hope this helps.

cheers :ok:

P.S.

I kinda miss flying the King Air B200/SKA-350. Gotta love em' :D

south coast
7th Jan 2008, 11:28
Hi there

I also used to fly the plane for a few years.

We would do the auto-feather test as a 'first flight of the day test' and the rudder boost as a 'once a week test'.

Cant remember the pressurisation test, so am guessing we didnt do that one too often.

For pretty much the same reasons as mentioned above, time, fuel and money.

Awyrennwr
7th Jan 2008, 17:34
I agree it is impractical to run all the checks before every flight, so this is what we do-

Auto feather - first flight of the day
Prop governor - first flight of the day
Rudder boost - first flight of the week
Pressurisation - first flight of the week

I seem to remember from my last LPC the examiner setting 400 ft lbs for zero thrust.

redpirate
7th Jan 2008, 17:43
Thanks for the Help - it will help as we develope the SOP's for the aircraft. It is a little older (still nice) in the BB-640's and will be flying about 390 hours in the next 3-4 months (not all me) assuming we can keep it out of MX. I think that It will be tough keeping it in the air that much but we are very cyclical in its use. . . after that it won't see nearly that much flight time until november or so.

sangiovese.
7th Jan 2008, 18:35
If memory serves me right we used 200 ftlbs on an eng failure. Also beware the throttle friction slackening off too much - can cause an interesting moment close to the ground as I once found!

Lovely aeroplane though - I'm sure you'll enjoy it

Martin Barnes
8th Jan 2008, 02:44
The z thrust is easy to figure for your airplane

with an engine feathered or shut down you will get 160kts at 400 lbs of fuel

so simply set the power setting which gives you 160 usually 200-210 trq !

we do the rb / pg / pg checks every year without fail

only joking !!

G-SPOTs Lost
8th Jan 2008, 07:54
Barnesy - its funny that, you must use every time you have a bath to remind yourself :E

powerstall
8th Jan 2008, 12:16
King air's, old or new, you really gotta love them. Had some of the nicest memories flying them. Very reliable PW engines too...

Cheers. :ok:

angelorange
8th Jan 2008, 15:41
Best bet is to do all the checks for first flight of the day. Wouldn't leave Pressurisation to just once a week! Check the B200 incident/accident reports - quite a few issues with pressurisation.

Engine run ups to test O'spd , Rudder Boost, Primary govns and Afx don't take much time either.

Always worth doing full anti icing system check after start unless you g'tee VMC Wx.

Better to have a fault on the ground than half way through a sortie!