PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Air New Aircraft

ODMEA
7th Jan 2008, 00:16
Looks like a positive development.
http://www.meed.com/news/2008/01/gulf_air_to_unveil_new_plane_deal_within_month.html

Gulf Air to unveil new plane deal within month

Published: 03 January 2008 15:08 GMT
Author: Hugh Tomlinson ([email protected])
More by this Author (http://www.meed.com/search/search.html?weblet=com.emap.bb.cwa.weblets.search.SearchWebl et&stage=operation&author=Hugh Tomlinson)
Last Updated: 04 January 2008 14:13
<LI class=increaseimg>Increase image (http://www.meed.com/imageGallery.html?articleUri=tcm:24-412788&pageUri=tcm:24-412793-64&xlImageUrl=)
View all images (http://www.meed.com/imageGallery.html?articleUri=tcm:24-412788&pageUri=tcm:24-412793-64&xlImageUrl=)
Gulf Air expects to conclude negotiations to replace its entire fleet of aircraft by the end of January.

Bahrain's national carrier had expected to unveil plans to purchase 35 new aircraft at a cost of around $3bn by the end of November last year (MEED 13:11:07).
However, talks with the manufacturers Airbus and Boeing remain ongoing following delays due to Eid and Christmas, and the busy Hajj period.
"The Hajj is a critical period for all the carriers in the Gulf and this has been our priority," says a Gulf Air spokesman.
"There has also been disruption because of the Eid and Christmas festivals, with senior staff away. The talks are in the final stages and we expect to have an announcement by the end of the month."
The spokesman confirms that Gulf Air will purchase a mixed fleet, with planes from both manufacturers. However, he says plans to seek investment in Gulf Air by a foreign partner airline had not made progress.

Author: Hugh Tomlinson ([email protected]). Senior Reporter
London

Oddy :ok:

ironbutt57
7th Jan 2008, 00:21
Yeah oddy I'm ever the optimist...keep on flying with us...dont give up...we'll keep the forward toilet open for ya!!!:}

Johnman
7th Jan 2008, 08:17
Good News , I would like to see Gulf Air replacing the old aircrafts with new ones.

powerstall
7th Jan 2008, 10:37
Just an odd thought...

So who's gonna fly them? :ugh::yuk::ugh:

kotakota
7th Jan 2008, 10:56
Perhaps Boeing and Airbus could be made to supply new aircraft with crew attached ?

Krinkle
7th Jan 2008, 13:44
Don't know if this blogger is just repeating rumour or if he actually has a source, but i found this interesting:

http://alsingace.*************/2008/01/400-million-more-to-buy-american.html

$400m extra to please Uncle Sam!

Edited to add:

Don't know why the address has come up with asterisks - here is the content of the post:

Thursday, January 03, 2008

$400 Million more to buy American airplanes for Gulf Air (http://alsingace.*************/2008/01/400-million-more-to-buy-american.html)

To please US Administration, $400 Million more to buy American airplanes for Gulf Air

IT has been learned that that directions from higher authorities have been made to choose American companies (e.g. Boeing and others) to supply Gulf Air (Bahrain Company) and pay extra $400 Million at the top of the lower bid made by the European Airbus.

This move was made in preparation for the American President, Mr Bush's visit to Bahrain during his Middle East tour in the period of 8-16 January.

It is one way of ensuring further support of the American Administration to Al-Khalifa family regime.

REACH-69
7th Jan 2008, 15:35
Fatal office boy Gulfy ,i still think you need to be rostered for some english classes and as far as for the arrival of the new aircrafts ,if there is any......we will fly them whether you liked it or not:ok:LLF

tbaylx
7th Jan 2008, 20:38
fatal,

If nationals could crew the airline then you wouldn't need expats. However since you can't then you get expats.

ODMEA
7th Jan 2008, 23:02

Fatals last entry was extremely derogatory:mad: to a fellow member (in Arabic) and should be deleted. I will go as far as saying he should be banned for such extreme language, albeit in Arabic.

Oddy

knowsup
8th Jan 2008, 05:00
Just another way not to make money.

Get the Damn website up so that our pax can purchase tickets. It has been down now for +12 hrs. Do you think anyone from the Pink Palace has a clue that the revenue stream has been down. The call center does not even bother to pick up the phone....its tooooo busy. GF is just finding way after to way to send the money to other airlines. The company as well as the management have flat lined.

mydogsnameisbjorn
8th Jan 2008, 05:17
losing 1 million a day. today will be 1.2 but who's counting. just tried the online ticket offering and lo and behold it does not work. Just pissin it away are you.

powerstall
8th Jan 2008, 12:20
obviously, the airline has got money to burn..... and lots of it! :ugh:

sheryas777
8th Jan 2008, 13:07
The deal will be announcend during president Bush visit to Bahrain next week.Its also possible that the French president to visit Bahrain to approve AB deal.

brassplate
8th Jan 2008, 13:56
fatal gulfy,

wise move in removing your stupidly nationalistic rants. i got no problems with nationalists, i'm one myself. i got a lot of problems with bigots and you are sounding very much like a racist pig. if you carry on with it, i'm going to have to reveal your identity so everyone will know who you are, not the nice guy everyone thought you were.

ironbutt57
9th Jan 2008, 02:19
Little suprised when I found out who Fatal was myself..

undersiege
9th Jan 2008, 03:22
Who is this big ar@e????. Hope he is not a pilot for GF.:eek:

brassplate
10th Jan 2008, 07:04
unfortunately, undersiege, he is one of us and is a fine pilot and colleague. i hope his nasty comments are just his alter-ego that will never surface for real.

bjones4
12th Jan 2008, 20:14
Gulf Air places four billion dollar order with Boeing

The Bahrain-based airline Gulf Air has ordered 16 Boeing 787 Dreamliners valued at around four billion dollars and taken options for eight more, an airline official told AFP on Saturday.

"Gulf Air has signed today (Saturday) with Boeing a firm order for 16 Boeing 787 aircraft and taken the right to purchase eight more of the same aircraft," Adnan Malek, acting head of corporate communication at Gulf Air said.

The value of the firm order for the new long-haul jets at list price is around four billion dollars, while the total amount would go up to six billion dollars if options are firmed up in the future, he added.
http://www.africasia.com/services/news/newsitem.php?area=mideast&item=080112202224.54jk5msl.php

ODMEA
12th Jan 2008, 21:38
Oh ye of little faith :p

Some positive news finally for GF.

Oddy

tbaylx
12th Jan 2008, 22:23
I hope they get delivered before everyone retires

boiler
13th Jan 2008, 02:46
From today's GDN

Gulf Air inks $6 billion deal

MANAMA: Gulf Air signed a $6 billion (BD2.27bn) deal yesterday with Boeing for acquiring up to 24 wide-bodied aircraft, reports SOMAN BABY. Under the deal, Boeing will help Gulf Air lease aircraft until delivery of the new-generation 787 Dreamliners, said the airline's acting head of corporate communications Adnan Malek. Details of the agreement, signed at Gulf Air's headquarters to coincide with US President George W Bush's visit, will be unveiled today at a Press conference by airline chairman Mahmood Al Kooheji, acting chief executive Bjorn Naf and Boeing officials.

Panama Jack
13th Jan 2008, 02:50
Some discrepancy on the numbers:

More wing power for GF

Airline places order for 24 Boeing 787 Dreamliners
Bonny Mascarenhas
Staff Reporter

The Kingdom’s national carrier, Gulf Air, has added more wing power to its fleet with a purchase order of upto 24 new Boeing 787 Dreamliners in the new year.
“Gulf Air has signed a $6 billion deal for the aircraft. The prices are at list (catalogue),” head of GF’s public relations, Adnan Malik told the Tribune yesterday, “The purchase showed that the Kingdom was committed to ensuring the success of the carrier which is owned 100 per cent by Bahrain.”
The aircraft’s fuel efficiency was among the reasons for it to be selected over other aircraft, Adnan said. The Dreamliner is also reported to produce 20% less carbon-dioxide.
The Boeing 787 Dreamliner is a mid-sized, wide-body, twin engine jet airliner currently in production by Boeing Commercial Airplanes and scheduled to enter service in November 2008. It carries between 210 and 330 passengers depending on variant and seating configuration. Boeing has stated that it will be more fuel-efficient than earlier Boeing airliners and will also be the first major airliner to use composite materials for most of its construction.
Boeing featured its first 787 in a rollout ceremony on July 8, last year at its assembly factory in Everett, Washington, by which time it had become the fastest-selling wide-bodied airliner in history with nearly 600 orders.

http://www.bahraintribune.com

Anyone have any ideas of the expected delivery dates?

From a previous post:

IT has been learned that that directions from higher authorities have been made to choose American companies (e.g. Boeing and others) to supply Gulf Air (Bahrain Company) and pay extra $400 Million at the top of the lower bid made by the European Airbus.

In my opinion, money probably well spent. The 787's outdo anything Airbus is currently offering. In retrospect, the person who originally wrote this probably does not understand the difference between the 787 model and those being currently offered by Airbus, comparing instead simply airframe sizes, # of seats, and engines.

Yo767
13th Jan 2008, 04:40
I hope they get delivered before everyone retires

2016 - 2008 = 8 years

I will be 43.

Unless Amwaj Island sinks, I will be here waiting for the first one to arrive drinking wine on my canal view terrasse.

raw_data_in
13th Jan 2008, 06:01
I was waiting in DXB yesterday and I saw a B767 stucked in bay B3.
All seemed to be fully ready and then... nothing, no push and start
What happened exactly? Technical problem?
Coz I plan to join Gulf Air as I am holding a 767 TR so...:uhoh:

surely not
13th Jan 2008, 06:37
In my opinion, money probably well spent. The 787's outdo anything Airbus is currently offering. In retrospect, the person who originally wrote this probably does not understand the difference between the 787 model and those being currently offered by Airbus, comparing instead simply airframe sizes, # of seats, and engines.

Shouldn't that be that ON PAPER the 787's are expected to outperform anything Airbus currently has on offer?? Although I thought the new A350XWB was comparable with the plastic fantastic?

Chuck Y
13th Jan 2008, 07:52
raw_data_in, I don't think GF are hiring on the 767 since there are retiring them in a few months.
It's good to know that we have such fantastic minds like PajamaJack working with us, since they can spot a design winner from looking as an artists rendering of the 787!

Mephistopheles
13th Jan 2008, 08:23
Congrats but now is the time to pull up a chair & watch the fighting & back stabbing about transferring to the new fleet. All good fun to watch. Enjoy.

raw_data_in
13th Jan 2008, 08:42
Thx for the information Chuk!:ok:
However, are they hiring on other aircrafts?
not even on 737?or A320? :confused:
I am in dubai now for personal business, I and really like this sandpit place!
I wish I can find a job here, as a pilot of course :ok:

brassplate
13th Jan 2008, 09:06
i can see an amendment to the seniority system again. locals only allowed on new planes. i wonder how they plan to make it happen. somehow, they will find a way, irrespective of how stupid the method. the bunfight will begin soon, starting with national against expat, then national against national. should be quite the spectacle.

Spirit
13th Jan 2008, 09:22
So, just to get the thread back on track, anybody got any news regarding what types of interim A/C, we are to expect?

If GF is focusing on getting an all-Boeingfleet, they would probably want to get something on the way, ASAP.

Are we getting 737 instead of 320/321?
Are we getting interim 777 on the longhaulfleet?

What, what, what???

Desert Diner
13th Jan 2008, 10:40
Just another cycle.

Starting form the 80's:

Tristars then 767 then 340/330 and now 787
As for the narrow bodies it was 737 then A320 and now 737?

Notice the pattern?

boiler
13th Jan 2008, 10:55
If GF is going to get up to 24 WB aircraft (and nothing was mentioned about the NB), then I assume the NB will be the A320. Given the French president is also int he region, I would expect an announcement on that soon. Can't say Airbus is happy though. Incredible what political pressure from above can do.

stefan1138
13th Jan 2008, 11:21
Today also a "tentative deal" for 8 A320 was announced:

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20080113/tbs-airbus-gulfair-order-7318940.html

.Aero
13th Jan 2008, 11:37
I don't believe there is much to celebrate at the moment. As far as Boeing is concerned - this is what they had to say regarding GF's 787 interest.

``Boeing does not comment on order negotiations with customers until the order is complete,'' he said by telephone from Chicago. ``Until the order is booked, we can't talk about it.''

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=a_t3ByB92Sqg&refer=us

DesertHawk
13th Jan 2008, 11:44
c'mon guys rejoice. we have finally stepped up to plate with more airbus orders to come and atleast a brighter future. for all the doubters please let the boys that want to rejoice, rejoice without all the negative buzz!!!

Desert Diner
13th Jan 2008, 11:54
Plus it will ensure the availability of a clean toilet on a GF flight sometime in the future.:D

Dessert Aviator
13th Jan 2008, 12:06
The seniority list has already been amended to push the locals up the list, I was 50 something on the list and am now 120 something, having joined as a DEC the only people to bypass me are the F/O's (locals) who joined before me and who have recently become Captains. Plus the odd expat F/O.
I shall be long gone before 2016 so am not bothered should the dreamliners arrive or not.:cool:

rashid 320
13th Jan 2008, 12:34
Gulf Air inks $6 billion deal (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Story.asp?Article=205631&Sn=BNEW&IssueID=30299) MANAMA: Gulf Air signed a $6 billion (BD2.27bn) deal yesterday with Boeing for acquiring up to 24 wide-bodied aircraft, reports SOMAN BABY. Under the deal, Boeing will help Gulf Air lease aircraft until delivery of the new-generation 787 Dreamliners, said the airline's acting head of corporate communications Adnan Malek. Details of the agreement, signed at Gulf Air's headquarters to coincide with US President George W Bush's visit, will be unveiled today at a Press conference by airline chairman Mahmood Al Kooheji, acting chief executive Bjorn Naf and Boeing officials.

Spirit
13th Jan 2008, 12:59
Should it come down to a senority issue, it won't be a big loss to leave GF, as just about all the real companies out there are way ahead of GF, as far as aircraft orders and strategies are concerned.

It looks okay today, but thinking about tomorrow has never hurt anyboy. Of course, the BOD has not yet matured to this conclusion :ugh:

Sal-e
13th Jan 2008, 13:34
A recap on a most exciting year and a half with the Golden Falcon.

1. Raise from 1515 BD to 1715 BD per month basic (F/O)
2. Raise from 1715 BD to 2100 BD per month basic.
3. Block allowance addition of 6 BD per hour.
4. Additional 150 BD on housing allowance.
5. Raise to 2500 BD/yr schooling per highschool child.
6. Two type ratings, bonded for one.
7. Announcement of new aircraft.
8. Possible announcement of new routes with the announcement of new aircraft.

If you look from my eyes, there is zero reason to complain and every reason to really like this airline. And Bahrain isn't half shabby either to live in.

Panama Jack
13th Jan 2008, 15:54
Boeing wins Gulf Air 787 order worth up to $6 blnReuters Sunday January 13 2008
(Recasts with Airbus agreement)

By Mohammed Abbas

MANAMA, Jan 13 (Reuters) - Boeing Co won an order from Bahrain's Gulf Air for as many as 24 of its 787 aircraft, worth as much as $6 billion, according to Gulf Air, which also agreed an initial request for eight Airbus A320s.
The Boeing order is for 16 of the 787 Dreamliner passenger planes, worth $3.4 billion, with options for eight more. The first of the aircraft will be delivered in 2016.

"If we look at the overall economics of operation of the Boeing 787, it is more favourable than the Airbus 350 extra wide body," Bjorn Naf, Gulf Air acting chief executive officer told reporters in the Bahraini capital, Manama, on Sunday.

Bahrain's national carrier aims to replace its fleet of 35 aircraft, and is in talks with European plane maker Airbus to buy eight of its narrow body A320 aircraft, Gulf Air Chairman of the board Mahmood al-Kooheji said.
"We have signed an MOU with Airbus for the A320," Kooheji said, declining to give a value for the initial agreement. An order of that size may be worth about $520 million at list prices. Gulf Air hopes to reach a final agreement by the end of March, Naf said.

Gulf Air and Chicago-based Boeing concluded their agreement late on Saturday during a visit by President George W. Bush to the island kingdom.
The state-owned airline plans to lease aircraft until the new planes are delivered, and is in talks with banks to finance the purchases. Officials declined to give further details

Gulf Air was the 56th customer to order the 787, whose launch has been the most successful in Boeing history, Boeing regional sales Senior Vice President Marty Bentrott said in Bahrain. Customers have ordered 833 of the planes since its launch in 2004, he said.

Last year was a bumper year for aircraft orders. Airbus said 2007 was a record.

However, orders this year may fall, Bentrott said, as U.S. airlines cancel requests on prospects of a weaker U.S. economy. Boeing received orders for 1,413 planes in 2007.

"There is perceived weakness in the U.S. economy ... I would say industry orders will drop to about half of 2007," he told Reuters on the sidelines of a news conference.

Gulf Air slashed its network and cut its workforce by about 25 percent last year after announcing losses of more than $1 million a day. Then-CEO Andre Dose resigned in July after less than four months in the role.

The airline, which has pledged to operate with minimum state support, said it was now close to halving its losses. The company has said its government owner could sell shares to the public as early as this year.

"This is a strong signal to the market and to our competitors that Gulf Air is back in business," Naf said.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/feedarticle?id=7221881

tbaylx
13th Jan 2008, 16:01
Yup the money is good and you'll eventually get some new aircraft. Hope things work out for all the guys who stayed at GF.

MAKAVELI320
13th Jan 2008, 17:57
DESSERT AVIATOR THE LIST IS KIND OF GOING BACK TO ITS ORIGINAL they use to be 2list, one for the fleet transfer which was the date of joining 2nd one was for the upgrade to the left seat and that was based on u r final line check as an F/O ! either u r local or expart, though i admit they were few guys did jump the queue to left seat and wide body a/c:sad: then they came up with many ways to make it fare to all but was a failurehttp://www.pprune.org/forums/images/infopop/icons/icon13.gif it doesnt need a genius to make it work what they have done now i think its more then fare salute :D

Apache702
14th Jan 2008, 03:24
http://ca.news.finance.yahoo.com/s/12012008/24/finance-news-gulf-air-places-four-billion-dollar-order-boeing.html

stefan1138
14th Jan 2008, 11:14
Interesting article in flightglobal, interim lease of 787 planned from 2010:

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2008/01/14/220804/gulf-air-ordering-787s-for-2016-but-considering-earlier-lease.html

ironbutt57
14th Jan 2008, 14:22
And now the deal is inked the seniority issue returns..haha was waiting for that..seniority by definition is time in service...regardless of the detractors it's now how it should be..(didnt help me at all personally) but in the grand scheme of things..it helps us all here, as now a wrong has been righted..I'll be fertilizer long before those new (gulp thought I'd never say this..."plastic AMERICAN" airplanes) arrive...but nice to see it happen for those who will reap the benefits of staying the course..:ok:

"Good things come to those who wait"

Desert Diner
14th Jan 2008, 15:25
Gulf Air is also intending to prepare its crews for the aircraft, he adds, by acquiring a 787 simulator for its new Bahrain-based training centre.

Now this is serious!

slycamel
15th Jan 2008, 08:02
Does anyone know anymore about this?

Do they mean the Sim? or is there more on offer?

tbaylx
15th Jan 2008, 11:47
I'm no rocket scientist but that seems pretty clear to me...the empty slot in the sim building will become occupied eventually with a shiny new B787 sim. Inshalla. Maybe..sometime...

ELLONNAGUN
16th Jan 2008, 10:59
THE QUESTION IS WILL THE CURRENT AIRCRAFTS BE AIRWORTHY TILL ..............2016..17..??? OR WHENEVER... :confused::confused:

DesertHawk
16th Jan 2008, 11:40
the plan as stated is to have leased 787 in place by 2010 or 2011. and to be honest why is everyone so negative ie"maybe sometime"

they have announced the order signed the deal we all wanted. we have only been sole owners fr a short time. we have got a huge payraise. just wondering what more needs to be done for people to just admit we are headed for change and faster than anyone thought????

Sultan85
16th Jan 2008, 14:59
Totally agree with you DesertHawk,:ok:

All the best for the GOLDEN FALCON!

Well-done every budy:D, realy greet job and the sky is our limit!:ok:

Che Guevara
16th Jan 2008, 17:18
SEATTLE, Jan. 14, 2008 -- Boeing [NYSE: BA] and Middle East airline Gulf Air yesterday held a signing ceremony in Bahrain to announce the airline's intent to purchase 787 Dreamliners. Boeing looks forward to welcoming Gulf Air as the newest member of the Dreamliner team upon conclusion of contract negotiations.

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/787/images/K63968_sm.jpg
Cool looking bird! :D

Ciao

Panama Jack
16th Jan 2008, 20:34
Here is what it might look like:

http://www.cardatabase.net/modifiedairlinerphotos/search/photo_search.php?id=00009371

ironbutt57
16th Jan 2008, 20:47
Looks sweet huh??? So Che...are you a Latino revolutionary, or Italian??? it ain't "Ciao" it's "hasta la vista baby":}

Dixons Cider
16th Jan 2008, 22:04
Here is what it might look like:

maybe..exept it definitely will not have have A40-XX on the side.

ironbutt57
16th Jan 2008, 22:59
cooooooolll

Panama Jack
17th Jan 2008, 05:33
maybe..exept it definitely will not have have A40-XX on the side.

Yeah yeah, :8 nor the Skyteam logo, but then again, it's just the general look without looking at it under the microscope. ;) :ok:

Dessert Aviator
17th Jan 2008, 06:19
Boeing today announced further delays to their B787. Don't expect to see any B787's in GF colours for a long long time.....:bored:

TZZ
17th Jan 2008, 08:02
i read in wikipedia that Gulfair will get the aircraft in 2016, well done golden falcon to order a nice machine.

slycamel
17th Jan 2008, 08:09
The reg would not be A40-XX in any case ,it would be A9C-XX:):)

repapips
19th Jan 2008, 22:55
Did you mean "delays" instead of "details"?

boiler
20th Jan 2008, 06:42
If Boeing are planning to ramp up the production, I do not think the deliveries in 3 years will be affected. Only the launch customers will get a big hit.

Desert Diner
20th Jan 2008, 06:55
the plan as stated is to have leased 787 in place by 2010 or 2011. and to be honest why is everyone so negative ie"maybe sometime"

they have announced the order signed the deal we all wanted. we have only been sole owners fr a short time. we have got a huge payraise. just wondering what more needs to be done for people to just admit we are headed for change and faster than anyone thought????

And, most of the "negative postings":rolleyes: seem to have migrated from GF to EY!

Can't wait for those clean toilets:ok:

tbaylx
20th Jan 2008, 07:55
Don't worry about clean toilets, the first 787 Haj trip to Dhaka should sort out that problem. It'll almost be a shame to see that really after what happened to the 330 interiors when they were new.

Panama Jack
21st Jan 2008, 06:27
I heard that some companies that do hajj contracts basically gut and replace their aircraft interiors after each season. It seems that Gulf Air budgets too much of a lifetime to its interiors, which means, disgusting conditions overall.

Hopefully, the new management will realize this and address this problem in the future. "New" and cutting-edge three years ago may not be so new anymore.

Sal-e
21st Jan 2008, 12:45
So what happened at the meeting with the VPO a few days ago? Totally missed it.

slycamel
21st Jan 2008, 17:07
What meeting??

Che Guevara
22nd Jan 2008, 14:31
Well, here it boys and girls...

SEATTLE, Jan. 21, 2008 -- Boeing [NYSE: BA] and Bahrain's national carrier Gulf Air today finalized negotiations for up to 24 Boeing 787 Dreamliners (http://www.boeing.com/commercial/787family/index.html) in a deal that could be worth approximately $3.9 billion at list prices if all options are exercised. The agreement is for 16 787s on direct order with purchase rights for eight additional 787s.
"Gulf Air has been a premier carrier in the Middle East for more than half a century," said Marty Bentrott, Boeing Commercial Airplanes vice president of Sales for The Middle East and Africa. "We look forward to helping Gulf Air revitalize its fleet through the superior economics and passenger comfort that the Dreamliner will bring."
Throughout 2007, Gulf Air and Boeing conducted an extensive airplane acquisition analysis that explored the unmatched strengths of the 787. With the best fuel burn in its class, lower maintenance costs due to the 787's revolutionary composite structure, and interior features and comfort that add to the Dreamliner's marketability, the 787 has been validated by airlines across the globe. The 787 is the fastest-selling new airplane program in history with a total of 857 orders from 56 customers since launch in 2004.
"As the cornerstone of our fleet, the 787 will help re-establish Gulf Air's predominance within The Gulf," said Gulf Air Chief Executive Officer Bjorn Naf. "Our goal is to increase the airline's efficiency and profitability, and we have selected the 787 to be the core of our fleet for the next generation to meet both our passengers' and our stakeholders' expectations."
In addition to bringing big-jet range to mid-size airplanes, the 787 provides unmatched fuel efficiency and will use 20 percent less fuel for comparable missions than today's similarly sized airplane. The Dreamliner travels at speeds similar to today's fastest wide-bodies, Mach 0.85, and also allows airlines greater cargo revenue capacity. Passenger improvements on the 787 include larger windows, an interior environment with higher humidity and overall increased comfort and convenience.
"We are committed to Gulf Air's success," said Mahmood Kooheji, Gulf Air's Board Chairman. "In choosing the 787, we are confident that we've made the very best choice for the long-term success of the airline

http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/2008/photorelease/q1/K64263_lg.jpg (http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/2008/q1/080121a_nr.html)

Click on the pic to get to Boeing etc.

Mephistopheles
22nd Jan 2008, 17:31
Nice picture. Have to hang around the office & brown nose my way onto an earlier course!!!

Desert Diner
22nd Jan 2008, 17:46
There probably will be a new GF paint job by then!

Cam32
22nd Jan 2008, 18:23
Too late dude, this one already has a brown(ish) nose. :}

Trezao
23rd Jan 2008, 10:46
Three years ago a friend of mine gave me a big picture of a 787 on Gulf Air livery. At that time Boeing and Airbus employees were rambling around almost every week here. This guy is no longer working for GF, he worked very hard and with full commitment on this issue but at that time noboby was interested in buy airplanes (although it was advertised on GDN at that time). Anyway, I kept this big picture (the same we see now everywhere at the HQ) almost forgotten inside my wardrobe and now it is time to remove the dust and put it on a good frame.
Another thing that surprised me was after reading the latest letter from the president it is mentioned there that along with the 16+8 787’s to be delivered from 2016, GF is looking for 16 more 787’s to be leased from 2010.
We will have the end of the 767’s but they will be replaced by two leased A321 this year plus 3 brand new A320 in 2009. Who knows it can be just the beginning of a similar A320 order?

:ok:

Fatal_Gulfy
25th Jan 2008, 11:25
:ok:A waiting to be discovered............. latest news.............787 drivers will be all locals regardless the seniority......any objections ......:ugh:

Spirit
25th Jan 2008, 11:46
If that was to happen, I would consider my bond void in a heartbeat!!!

brassplate
25th Jan 2008, 12:21
Fatal Gulfy,

as your name implies, that is what usually happens when locals are left to their own devices. and that is before the in-fighting even begins.

personally, i don't care what i fly. they're all the same. i just want to get paid on time, which is what didn't happen last pay.

i know how nationalism work. everything is to be done in favour of nationals. i certainly do not object to that. in fact, i am all for that, hence my comment on amending the seniority to cater for that. others will be understandably furious because it will have to be an unfair system. but what to do yani, your bloody country your bloody airline.

how do you propose on allowing only locals to fly the 78s? most of the local jockeys have flown nothing but airbus, including yourself.

tmax
25th Jan 2008, 20:40
go see a doctor fatal !!!! u are sick big time!!!
hope u are not 57 or above when they arrive or big guy you and your friends u ll enjoy 320-1 training if u entilted for that!!!!
u getting old!!!
my airline but not my country!!

ODMEA
25th Jan 2008, 21:05
Fatal you 'local' ranting and frenzy of words..really puts me off as a loyal GF pax. I shudder to think an erratic mind such as yours passed the requirements to gain entry to the cockpit of such a sophisticated machine.

Because if this is the logic you utilize for comments on pprune may the Almighty help us if you're in control and things get a little difficult in the cockpit and the same erratic logic is applied!

"brace, brace brace!" for fatals response..no doubt:rolleyes:

Oddy

Gulf Ace
26th Jan 2008, 01:09
Hey brassplate most of the local jockeys have more experience than you .... so that mean no 787 for you hahahaha

and tmax i think that you should visit a doctor because i dont think that they will allow morons like you to fly a sophisticated 787........

and odmea if i were you i will keep my loyalty to myself ....

brassplate
26th Jan 2008, 07:20
gulf ace,

you flatter yourself with a title like that. did you ever come across the saying ' don't boast about your experience to people that really do have it'? you're such a DIK-HED. i don't care about going on the 787. i just want to get paid. you locals can play with the new toys like the spoilt brats that some of you are (and you sounded like one too).
for your information, i only have a humble 8,000 hours, mostly on airbus and boeing aircrafts.
so continue flattering yourself. your kind have a knack of falling flat on your face and eating your words.

Fatal_Gulfy
26th Jan 2008, 11:20
:{TMAX......can I suggest you a good doctor name.......caz you will need it after all locals jump ahead of you to 787.....that why they call it…….. dreamliner.......

:=ODDY...or Woody.......loyalty.....huh ....why than you lift your country.....so you should be the last one talking about loyalty

:cool:Hey Brass oxidant plate......8000 hrs...my son you still a kid..... once 787 arrived I still have a long time to retired..........hey man I am still younger than you but more experience.....11000 hrs and above with 5 a/c rating and an office job plus a trainer if you interested....so keep your 8000 hrs for your self, we do not need it:=.....MY COUNTRY MY AIRLINE...

:ok:Hey GULF ACE....will done man .....that what i call it a patriot........keep it up…..our airline for locals only ….:ok::ok::ok::ok:

tbaylx
26th Jan 2008, 14:56
Fatal, it would be damn funny to see what happened to "your airline" if all the expats suddenly left one day. The last time a bunch of them left you almost doubled salaries to keep em because it was going bad so fast.

As it was so eloquently put once "you'd be lucky to be flying a cargo plane filled with rubber dog sh*t" if they actually did all pack it up.

Like it or not if you want an airline either train more locals to manage, maintain and fly, or shaddup and put up with expats running your airline.

And be nice, or the expat training you to fly your shiny new 787 that may eventually arrive inshalla may just find you incapable of holding command of a bathtub with that attitude.

Mephistopheles
26th Jan 2008, 16:45
Surprise, surprise. The fighting about who will fly the 787 has started already & still 8 years to go!!! If I was a GF passenger I would seriously think about travelling with you guys, in fact if I am worried even to deadhead now! Come on guys all of you should grow up:ugh::ugh::ugh:

wastafarian
26th Jan 2008, 17:18
don't worry mephis. 8 years gives lots o time for childens to grow up.

besides a lot of stuff talked about here like only locos flying the 787 is pure b.s. welcome to the ppbune- profesional pilot bulls--- network.

Dixons Cider
26th Jan 2008, 18:15
.......hey man I am still younger than you but more experience.....11000 hrs and above with 5 a/c rating and an office job plus a trainer if you interested....so keep your 8000 hrs for your self, we do not need it.....MY COUNTRY MY AIRLINE...

A TRAINER??????....my god!! :uhoh::\:uhoh:

tbaylx
26th Jan 2008, 18:56
troll:ugh:

Cam32
26th Jan 2008, 19:43
I have to agree with meph, Has not taken long for this thread to turn into a **** fight. Please grow up all involved. Was innocent at the start.

Start a new thread if you bring race into it. :ugh: (sick of it)

Happens too often. We are all in GF for our own reasons.

ODMEA
26th Jan 2008, 22:43
As I recall all GF major incidents have been under the command of 'Fatal's' and 'Ace's' i.e. Local's :ouch: -thus your piloting skills are NO better than non locals gents.

You 'locals' should be so lucky to have expats still flying for GF considering the home grown turmoil(read local again) GF is undergoing.....AND considering pilot posts are there for the taking worldwide. Show some respect to your collegues. GF can ill afford the absence of expat pilots.

How apt a username 'Fatal Ace?' :E

Oddy

brassplate
27th Jan 2008, 01:24
let it be known that GF has idiotic, imbecile, inept, immature, uneducated and racist senior pilots like
Captain J____M A______ aka Fatal Gulfy who takes pleasure in persecuting expat pilots with his tyrade of stupid comments that makes the travelling public really wonder about the calibre of GF's pilots.

Yo767
27th Jan 2008, 05:55
Thanks for the info Brassplate. Will definitely refuse any deadhead with that J_____m A______ psychopath. And count on me, i will check AIMS before my family travels again. A person writing such comments is definitely mentally unbalanced and should not only be kept well away from the kevlar reinforced cockpit door but from driving any motor vehicle also.

a concerned young expat captain

Spirit
27th Jan 2008, 09:20
Honoured Gentlemen,

May I make the humble suggestion, that we in the future just completely ignore the alias known as "Fatal_Gulfy"?

After all, it does sound like a creature, who can just barely walk upright whilst on duty, but who, immediately after check-out, is back on all fours, relieving itself against lampposts and the like.

Please forget about "it", and let us get on with our professional lives, shall we?

Spirit has spoken!

undersiege
27th Jan 2008, 23:07
May I make the humble suggestion, that we in the future just completely ignore the alias known as "Fatal_Gulfy"?

We tried that!!!! And "IT" still will not go away.:E

Any other ideas?????:ugh:

brassplate
28th Jan 2008, 01:10
let's play a game of hangman. you guess the letters of Fatal Gulfy's real name before you hang!!!!!
then the whole pprune world will know who Fatal Gulfy really is!

Krinkle
28th Jan 2008, 05:58
DAVOS: Gulf Air, Bahrain’s loss-making national airline, plans to lease as many as 28 wide-body planes because delivery of 24 Boeing 787 jets it has ordered won’t start until 2016, the airline’s chief executive officer said.
Gulf Air, which signed a $6bn contract on January 13 to buy Boeing Co’s Dreamliner jets, is talking to the aviation leasing unit of General Electric Co and International Lease Finance Corp, Bjorn Naf, said in an interview in Davos, Switzerland, yesterday.
Each of these wide-body planes like the Airbus A330 could cost the carrier $700,000 a month, Naf said.
Gulf Air is also talking to Boeing and Airbus SAS to buy 20 to 25 short-haul planes and will likely make a choice “in the next couple of months”, Naf said.
Gulf carriers including Dubai’s Emirates, Qatar Airways and Abu Dhabi’s Etihad are among the biggest customers for Airbus and Boeing as the airlines build the region into a hub for tourism and transit flights between Europe, Asia and Africa. – Bloomberg

brassplate
28th Jan 2008, 08:51
ask Fatal Gulfy where he will get drivers......maybe out of his @rse!!!

DesertHawk
28th Jan 2008, 10:43
man u are so unprofessional... and fatal is u are who they say i am embarrassed for u. if that is how u really feel about us tell us to our face!!!!!!!

Albergineman
28th Jan 2008, 13:42
The only way to GF starts to expand its services is leasing aircrafts, see our ex-SQ A340's leased from Boeing and some others in our fleet.
I think that wait for new aicrafts until they can be delivered (B787 / A350) will cost much more commercially speaking and will make the airline waste even more time.

NO FD NO SRS
28th Jan 2008, 19:12
Brassplat! do you have any proof about fatal gulfy's real ID. if you are only guessing than this very unfair and unprofessional too. we all agree that fatal gulfy is out order but what if this is not the same person as you have mentioned???

brassplate
28th Jan 2008, 19:46
i know because i know.
proof for what? proof for who? you? this isn't an official channel of communication for gf. have a guess at who he is and ask him yourself.
and what is fair? dreamliner for locals only? (not that i care)
ok then. i shan't reveal FG any further. i only hope he pulls his head in because he had it coming and he deserved it.

Albergineman
29th Jan 2008, 09:16
Guys, forget this useless fight for who is going to fly the 787 first it will be in eight years. Let's keep this forum in a good level of education, please!
What matters is Gulf Air will expand and is looking for 16 leased aicrafts to be delivered in two years.
Put proud ahead of reason is a waste of time, there are still many things to do to make GF better, one of them could be ignore these useless guys that awlays corrupt good posts.

Cheers!

brassplate
29th Jan 2008, 09:29
my apologese all.
could anyone enlighten us on plans for types and timelines?

A Bunker
29th Jan 2008, 16:49
wow! isn't that the million doller question:rolleyes:

mkdar
30th Jan 2008, 19:46
:confused:
Can’t remember who was it that said : never argue with an idiot, people might not be able to differentiate between you .

Sal-e
3rd Feb 2008, 08:16
mkdar,

hear hear. I second that comment. Well done.
All in favour of desisting from further tarnish of our companys' good name?
AYE!!!

Capt_Fatal
7th Feb 2008, 11:44
TO ALL

SIR IS BACK............:}:}:}:}:=

Capt_Fatal
7th Feb 2008, 11:47
TO ALL

SIR IS BACK............:}:}:}:}:=

ODMEA
7th Feb 2008, 21:28
Fatal I hope ur stint in the sin bin tought you there is NO room for filthy language in this forum. I hope the moderators keep a very close watch over all your posts.

Dare I say welcome back

Oddy:suspect:

Capt_Fatal
19th Feb 2008, 13:51
Gulf air will start delivery of 787 earlier than 2016.........delivery date will be in early ...2009 .
Qatar airways postponed delivery of their 787....so Boieng offered gulf air an earlier delivery instead.........ENJOY dreamliner boys.........i will be there for sure.........:ok:

boiler
19th Feb 2008, 14:58
I doubt very much deliveries will start in 2009 for various reasons. 2012 is probably more realistic given the Boeing delays and availability of the aircraft with lessors. I actually met the Boeing people a few days ago and no such indication was given to me regarding QR. While they have indeed delayed the A380 delivery, they have not (and no one in his right mind would) delay the 787.

A300Man
19th Feb 2008, 15:46
Qatar has not delayed the 787 introduction.

Mechanical Backup
26th Feb 2008, 14:44
CF, I am ashamed of having the same citizenship...and scared to be one day on one of your flights.
I have been watching your comments for some time and having a degree that involves human behaviour...all I can say that you really have a problem and that you should pull your CB's( try the yellow and red ones).
The way you write is so full of agression, and it seems like you are trying to releave some stress and emotions. Don't you have a better way of doing that. Go play with your kids or talk with your wife( how many minutes a day do you actually speak to your wife...5 minutes)
See I have to agree with some of the guys...our Airline only run by us ? It will not work, because we are lazy and corrupt...not that others are not, but we just could not make it.
So we should hope that we stay multi-culti for all times.

You know...reading your own statments...doesn't it worry you ?????

Think about it !!!

Sal-e
26th Feb 2008, 21:44
I like that word. Multi-Culti. Awesome attitude dude.

alraisia
27th Feb 2008, 21:03
THE LATEST NEWS, GF WILL BE GETTING A330 EX AIR CANADA, AND 787 WILL BE COMING IN 2016.
:D

Spirit
27th Feb 2008, 21:47
How many 330's, pray tell...?

Capt_Fatal
27th Feb 2008, 22:26
Would you pls lower your landing gear and go into DIRECT LAW.....MYOB DODE :ouch::ouch::ouch::ouch::ouch::ouch:

boiler
28th Feb 2008, 10:17
MYOB DODE :ouch::ouch::ouch::ouch::ouch::ouch:
The spelling is "DUDE" you DOPE!!

Did not hear anything re GF getting old A330s. If they did manage that, the leasing rates must be unbelievably high putting even more pressure on the bottom line.