PDA

View Full Version : Malaga - "Greaser" of a Landing

Hombre
6th Jan 2008, 07:59
I fly into AGP about 4 times per month, always courtesy of flyglobespan.com

On the evening of 02/01/08 we flew in and touched done with what I can only describe as the greasiest landing ever i.e. we hardly felt the wheels touch down it was that peachy.

I know how rare this is: Can I assume it was not the computer this time?

I should add for the record that the First Officer's name was Cara and I have a slight suspicion she was doing the driving. Just before landing at around 50ft or so the engines were neatly "flared" which led to the peachiest touch down.

Any ideas?

Contacttower
6th Jan 2008, 11:01
The very best landings are always done by hand. The autoland is good, but in order to get the smoothest touchdowns you leave the power on in the flare for longer than normal to minimise the rate of descent (making it almost zero at the touchdown point). This however (I understand) is not 'good' technique because it eats up runway and in the wet means the plane doesn't make very good contact with the runway.

Just before landing at around 50ft or so the engines were neatly "flared" which led to the peachiest touch down.

What do you mean by 'flared'? Flaring is done with the elevators by raising the nose slightly to arrest the sink rate just before touchdown. Usually the power is brought to idle at about 50-30ft (although later if you a trying to 'grease'). Sometimes as well (this may be what you mean) a bust of power a split second before touchdown can help (although it works better on pistons because of the better power response).

Hombre
6th Jan 2008, 13:45
Sorry that's exactly what I meant a burst of power at around final 50ft.

nivsy
6th Jan 2008, 16:26
As a SLF and also like Hombre a regular user of AGP, I have experienced some what appears to be bumping landings at Malaga which includes MON, Flybe, Iberia, Spanair, what was Virgin Express, EZY, LTU , Condor and many more.

I think I have also landed while using GSM (who I have used around 6 times a year t/f GLA) and do remember also a smoothy with a lady driver - although I thought it was a Carla!. Must pay more attention to flight deck announcements in future.

silverelise
7th Jan 2008, 13:09
I believe (but sit to be corrected) that the "firmer" landings are to trigger the automatic deployment of the reversers/wing lift dumpers etc.

Also depending on crosswind component you may want to get the wheels on the ground sooner than later.

Contacttower
7th Jan 2008, 17:40
I believe (but sit to be corrected) that the "firmer" landings are to trigger the automatic deployment of the reversers/wing lift dumpers etc.

The speedbrakes should deploy automatically (provided of course they have been armed :E) even if the touchdown is a 'greaser'. Reverse thrust is deployed by the throttles being put into reverse mode and is not automatic.

AircraftOperations
7th Jan 2008, 21:00
It's not unknown for spoilers not to fully activate if a landing is really really soft.

llanfairpg
8th Jan 2008, 00:57
The autoland is good, but in order to get the smoothest touchdowns you leave the power on in the flare for longer than normal to minimise the rate of descent (making it almost zero at the touchdown point).

The aim is not to get the smoothest touchdown but to get the aircraft on the ground in the correct area without it balloning or bouncing, late thrust retardation can lengthen the subsequent roll out.

Tigger4Me
8th Jan 2008, 08:44
SLF here with a slight topic drift. I have noticed that shortly after touchdown at AGP there seems to be quite a dip in the runway. Very noticeable from a roadside viewing point of view as aircraft disappear from view for a short time. I have often wondered if, for you drivers, this presents any particular problems or needs any special consideration when executing the touch down.

perkin
8th Jan 2008, 10:09
I have noticed that shortly after touchdown at AGP there seems to be quite a dip in the runway

I think a similar situation exists on the 'old' runway (sorry, I'm not sure of the numbering of it) at MAN where there is a small hillock around the touchdown point which I expect makes the landing a little more challenging to judge at times. In certain wind conditions I understand that that area can be prone to windshear due to the terminal buildings, so there are many things to be considered...

Personally, as SLF, I prefer just to get down in one piece and stop before the end of the runway. Greaser not necessary! I always marvel at how it is possible for a small aluminium tube to navigate through 3 dimensions, travel 100's/1000's of miles and end up landing on a thin strip of tarmac, so any kind of landing is a success to me!

Hombre
9th Jan 2008, 01:32
Nivsy, It might have been Carla.

I have Cara on the brain for other reasons!!

I am not aware however of any dip in Runway 31/13 at AGP. I also fly Cessna 172s there and haven't noticed a dip?? Then again take off on a windy day is rather short in this a/c. :}

Tigger4Me
9th Jan 2008, 08:45
It's certainly there Hombre. From the roadside even the largest jets disappear from view just after the foot goes to the floor for the take-off roll. LOL at the windy take-offs. I imagine they can be interesting at times.

MrSoft
9th Jan 2008, 11:05
In the "best hill" stakes, there is only one winner - LBA. You'll never get a greaser there. The aim seems to be to put it on firmly at the crest of the hillock, which roughly coincides with touchdown point. If you don't, then it often can float onwards as the downhill slope runs away, so, again, bang it on. Actually, it may even qualify as a hill, never mind hillock.

gflynorw
3rd Feb 2008, 15:26
Hey guys - this is THE Cara that you've all been wondering and talking about. Hombre - thanks for the comments. Contact Tower - you should know that a good pilot knows the difference between a dodgy light touch down and a good solid, safe yet gentle touch down. A balance between the two is entirely possible. And, I believe, we girls are reknowned for having "the touch".

And believe you me, boys, this girl has got it. x

Check Mags On
3rd Feb 2008, 15:46
Believe me boys she has.

You should of seen her in the pool today:O:O

Truck2005
3rd Feb 2008, 18:59
As a part time SLF but ex crew chief greasers are a pain the butt if done in the wet. Very nice for the pax but could mean a wheel change because the tread has been scuffed too far from skidding over the surface water. I believe a solid landing breaks the surface tension.

SpamFritters
4th Feb 2008, 10:31
Hence why some airlines encourage hard touchdones i think?

Doors to Automatic
6th Feb 2008, 13:16
Luton's another dodgy one - I have yet to experience a greaser there!

It always feels like the brakes are hammered hard to make the turning (when landing on 26) - beyond which is the short remainder of runway dipping away and an abyss beyond!

Wader2
13th Feb 2008, 11:58
How rare?

I have only experience one.

'hardly felt' was not an accurate description, the u/t pilot in the right-hand seat did not know he had landed and thought he was floating. Only the decaying airspeed convinced him that he was not flying.

The instructor said 'you will never do one of those again.'

This was in a Jetstream and a smooth runway also had something to do with it.

Quite unlike a Dan Dare arrival at Inverness. The chap next to me had to see the doc as he suffered injuries to his spine as he had had a previous injury on a Martin Baker let down.