PDA

View Full Version : Best way from beginner to airline pilot...

adamperl
6th Jan 2008, 03:41
I am a 28 yo professional thinking seriously about throwing in the towel to beome a pilot.

I am wondering what the best route to an airline job in Australia is, starting from scratch (I have only logged a few hours), and the reasons why. Would really appreciate any advice. Issues on my mind are:

- should I get my PPL before applying for the entry level Qantas cadetship?

- is it better/easier getting your cpl privately, and then applying for a cpl-level cadetship?

- what are the flight exp requirements for the Rex cadetship (not on Rex's website)?

- in terms of cost, are there better and worse states/locations in Oz to train?

Thanks again!

ABX
6th Jan 2008, 03:43
Have rich parents! (I don't, now I am starting 10 years older than you!):eek:

Howard Hughes
6th Jan 2008, 04:44
If a cadetship is what you want, then go the QF route, anything else ain't worth the hassle!:ok:

If you are older you will have no trouble getting work, just don't BS your potential employers as they have heard it all before! I got my first job at 36 after holding my CPL for 10 years. I reckon I was given more opportunities beacuse of my age, since then I have done 800 hours per year, met some incredible people and seen some wonderful things.

At this stage I reckon I will stay in GA, unless of course the job flying a Global Express full of super models, two days a week on half a million a year shows up!;)

The Bunglerat
6th Jan 2008, 08:10
If your ultimate goal is the airlines, and you're in a position to participate in a cadet program, why on earth would you waste your time with GA?

I'm hoping like hell that when my son is old enough to become a pilot, he'll have the good sense not to put himself through years of hard slog and frustration like I did. In fact, I'd be quite happy if he gave aviation a wide berth completely. Nevertheless if he decides to follow in the old man's footsteps, I'll be as encouraging as possible (provided it's what he really wants to do), and I'll be ensuring that, with strong Year-12 results in hand, he makes a bee-line for the nearest cadetship. IMHO, it's the future of aviation training for airline wannabe's, and the only reason you wouldn't try to fast-track your career in the airlines via a cadetship would be because you couldn't get into one.

Incidentally, my first-hand experience with cadets (from an instructor perspective in one of my former lives) was that the end product is of a very good standard - at least in the case of the Qantas program. As for Rex, that would be the great unknown at this point in time. Sure there are a few arrogant little snots who think they're God's gift to aviation (and they get bitch-slapped back to reality in good time), but any initial reservations were cast aside when I finally got to work with them. For the most part, they were hard-working, talented, responsible young guys and girls - and very mindful of their so-called "privileged" position. I even had a couple of mature age cadets (late 20's/early 30's) who were quite frankly outstanding, but I would attribute their age as a factor, because there'll never be any substitutes for a good dose of maturity and life experience.

But as always, if you want the facts, go to the source. The Qantas website careers page would be a good starting point, I would imagine.

Green gorilla
6th Jan 2008, 08:32
RAAF ? is the way if you like flying

KRUSTY 34
6th Jan 2008, 08:51
Green gorilla.

Unless the RAAF have changed their age requirements, adamperl at 28 has missed the boat. along with the fact that they only take approx 100 per year out of literally thousands of applicants.

Don't despair though, I started my career at the lofty age of 27 in a time when CPLs were as common as Holden cars and noses looked down from their lofty perches at anyone with less than 5000 hours!

My advice. If you really want it, go out and sample the PPL at a local flying school, get a taste of the industry, and in 12 months if you are totally committed, do not let anything stand in your way.

adamperl
6th Jan 2008, 09:16
Appreciate all the input, thanks! I agree that before taking the plunge I will qualify with a PPL to be sure the bug is permanent.

Any recommendations for schools at Bankstown, Sydney?

Thanks again,

Adam

flog
6th Jan 2008, 09:54
From what I understand the Defence aviation thing has change in recent times. Now everyone goes in as a trainee and based on the intake and the pilots skill / personality / etc. the take the top whatever they need and send them to the RAAF, the rest pick Army and Navy as required. The RAAF have a preferance for under 27 1/2 but they have taken 34-35 year olds in the past.
Defence flying (joining that is, not once you're in) is fixed wing in the RAAF or Rotary in the Army or Navy, the latter two closes off for new recruits at 37 years old.

O, and don't be like me and be 101cm tall in the body. The limit is 100cm. :mad:.

Mr. Hat
6th Jan 2008, 10:46
Qantas cadetship. If you can get it take it.

ForkTailedDrKiller
6th Jan 2008, 10:48
IMHO, it's the future of aviation training for airline wannabe's, and the only reason you wouldn't try to fast-track your career in the airlines via a cadetship would be because you couldn't get into one.

In the mid-60's both TAA and Qantas had cadetship schemes. Interesting that it has taken 40 years to get back there!

Dr :8

Cap'n Arrr
6th Jan 2008, 11:38
REX has no min exp requirements for the cadetship, but im not even sure if they have instructors for it yet. QF is the fastest way into airlines, then rex. Not sure about jetflite, but apart from a cadetship you'll have to do your time, prob 2 or 3 years, in GA. Probably do a little bit of flying to see how you actually like it, but theres no real advantage or disadvantage in going CPL or Ab Inito entry.

Arrr

Mr. Hat
7th Jan 2008, 08:01
FDTK - spot on.

Gone are the days of getting the crap belted out of you in GA. The big money airlines are not interested in hard yard GA stories - its purely "can you pass the test required during recruitment phase thats all.

Forget GA.

Howard Hughes
7th Jan 2008, 08:31
Ahhh... But in the good ole days Doc, the airlines used to pay for the cadets!:eek:

Perhaps we will get there at some time in the future!:ok:

VH-XXX
7th Jan 2008, 09:11
28.5 is not the max for RAAF as has already been posted.

Go for the RAAF... let them pay for your training. 10+ years of service might be the only downside.

But... with the predicted shortage of airline pilots, I'd be thinking of the airlines and at 28 with "life experience" you should be in a much better position to do well. Airline minimums are all crap. A 21 yr old with 1,500 hours versus a 28 yr old with 800 hours might miss out because he simply won't have the maturity and life experience, same goes with the RAAF.