PDA

View Full Version : Can't Fly!!!!!

Mr Bomb
5th Jan 2008, 23:32
I know it is a dramatic heading but I have been grounded for at least 4 months (prognosis so far...) due to me busting my Achilles tendon. So my question to the masses here is, is there anything that I can do to at least try and stop me from going nuts sitting here with my leg up looking at a nice clear sky that would just be perfect for flying? I am particularly fond of aerobatics and turning myself upside down and inside out, but a nice cross country into some challenging bush strips in a taildragger of any persuasion would be equally nice.

I have not yet bought MS Flight Sim X so I may just have to do that, along with a decent stick and throttle but are there any "must have" add ons to that program for aerobatic aircraft and or Aussie scenery? Are there any "better" programs for my mission of trying to stay sane?

Any help to this grounded seagull would be most appreciated...

Cheers
Mr Bomb

P.S. I have already read seven books on aviation that I have been meaning to read (4 by Mr Bach) on aviation and I am sick of staring at the TV, even though the test match has been awesome!

Jabawocky
5th Jan 2008, 23:36
OMG:eek:

Have you thought about "Youthinasia":}

J:ok:

PlankBlender
6th Jan 2008, 00:41
Hey Mr Bomb,

sorry to hear about your injury!

As boring as it may sound, is there any theory you might want to get out of the way? I had a broken arm last year and found the break great to get into my IR theory. Getting those ATPLs or IREX exams out of the way could be just the ticket to use the time productively and might just keep you from going :eek: ..or for that matter, developing callusses from too much time spent on that redtube site :}

As per sim stuff, I would recommend the IP Trainer/On Top bundle with a good yoke, great to get into or keep those IR skills current or even to learn one or two things, depending on where you're at in your flying..

Try this: flightterrain.com/download.html (http://flightterrain.com/download.html), they're bringing out the first bit of proper Aussie scenery for MS FlightSim X soon..

Get better, and remember, in the great big scheme of things, three or four months are merely a blip..

ForkTailedDrKiller
6th Jan 2008, 00:52
Forget the fluffy cr*p that Richard Bach writes!

Have you read "Aerobatics" by Neil Williams?

If not, you should!

Dr :8

JohnnyK
6th Jan 2008, 01:17
Had exactly the same issue a few years back and...dont laugh..got into making some model airplanes. Bit embarrasing when your 32 and sitting at home doing something you found groovy when you were 9. But.....I really enjoyed it. Might not be your thing but I found it totally absorbing especially as the ones I made when I was a kid were ****e but the ones I made as a, ahem, adult were pretty good. Still got them hanging on my sons ceiling. Buy ones made in Japan. Tamiya I think the name was. Good luck and dont forget to milk it. Get a bed pan-the best investment you will ever make. So much better then a 3AM sleep stagger to the throne on crutches. Only problem is you wanna keep using it when your able bodied again much to the disgust of the unfortunates who have to look after you.

the wizard of auz
6th Jan 2008, 02:33
Remote controlled helicopters. Raptor 90SE, raptor 50SE, Raptor 50V2. keep me busy for time I haven't got. challenging (can get expensive as well) but awesome fun.

Mr Bomb
6th Jan 2008, 07:12
PlankBender,
All formal theory has been completed, but still plenty of stuff to brush up on. I'll check out the IR stuff and will almost definitely get FSX so will look at the Aussie scenery.

FTDK,
Haven't read Aerobatics by Neil Williams but my copy of Better Aerobatics by Alan Cassidy is very well worn. Have you read this book? If you have, does Neil Williams book cover anything in a different or better way than Alan's book does? Might have to take a look at this as well.

JohnnyK,
This was actually the very first thing I thought of! I loved making model aircraft as a kid and I never actually finished a Mustang or Spitfire to the level of quality that I was hoping for...

Wiz,
Funny you say that as the wife was going to buy me one the day after it happened as she knows how crazy I will go not doing any flying! Might start with the small indoor electrics first though... (I assume the ones you mentioned are petrol/gas/nitro powered?)

Thanks to all for the replies. Seems there might be lots to keep me amused with thing aviation whilst being forcibly planted with feet (crutches?) to the ground. If anyone has any more then please let me know.

With all these things I think that I might actually have to prolong my stint in order to fit them all in:ugh:

Cheers
Mr Bomb.

sprocket check
6th Jan 2008, 08:20
I prefer X-plane to FlightSim. Possibly also 'cause I'm on Mac. Runs on both. Still, the scenery is great-over 60 gigs worth, includes entire world. It works on a different math to FS, it actually models the wing and then the subsonic and supersonic flight dynamics:
X-Plane reads in the geometric shape of any aircraft and then figures out how that aircraft will fly. It does this by an engineering process called "blade element theory", which involves breaking the aircraft down into many small elements and then finding the forces on each little element many times per second. These forces are then converted into accelerations which are then integrated to velocities and positions...translates to supposedly the most accurate sim out there.
Great integration with all kinds of peripherals. FAA certified to ATPL level.
Must have rudder pedals-like in a real aeroplane.
Major reason I bought X-Plane?
Under $100 including 40 or so ac and about 300 downloadable free. So I spent the extra dosh on a hard drive to hold it all. Works with VatSim and heap of other stuff.
Also, not Microsoft.:E
http://www.x-plane.com/about.html
sc

carbon
6th Jan 2008, 08:44
If your going to get into R/C, take the time to go to a club in your area. A little bit of advice and instruction can go along way (much further than the hobby store staff's!). It will save you spending money on junk or initial overkill.
IMHO there are two ways to get into r/c, properly, or with toys/junk.

ForkTailedDrKiller
6th Jan 2008, 09:13
Bomb - Haven't read the book you mention, but Neil William's is regarded as a classic. He is the guy who survived a spar failure in a Zlin (I think( by flying inverted until very shot final and then rolling upright before plonking it on the runway. Subsequently killed while ferrying a Heinkel 111 from Spain to the UK.

Just curious, what part of Oz are U?

Dr :8