PDA

View Full Version : Hayfever and the RAF

owen purday
5th Jan 2008, 19:54
Hello, I did a search on PPRUNE about this matter but only found results relating to NC AIRCREW or PILOT roles.

I am applying for the RAF now and I need to know how my hayfever my affect my application.

I have had hayfever for a long time and I have been on presciption drugs (nasal spray, eye drops, tables) but my hayfever is completely controlled when on these.

If I dont take my hayfever medication then my eyes can swell and ill have the odd sneeze but nothing TOO major..

How is this going to affect my application for either the Air Traffic Control Officer or Flight Operations Assistant?

Thanks for your help,

Owen

Wingswinger
5th Jan 2008, 20:16
Don't tell them you have hay fever. I didn't. If I had it would have stopped me becoming a fighter pilot. I also know of a fellow who successfully concealed his colour-blindness. He's an Air Marshall now.

Many years ago the Atcherley twins Richard and David each had a medical condition which would have stopped them serving. When it came to the critical point of the induction medicals for each of them, they simply swapped places.

owen purday
5th Jan 2008, 21:32
Oh ok thanks for that!

Can they not check medical records or anything that could catch me out at a later stage?

Thanks again!

ShyTorque
5th Jan 2008, 23:03
Owen, the one thing an individual must never do in aviation is to conceal a medical condition, or to self medicate. You have no idea of the possible side effects of medication in an aviation context.

I suffered hay fever after a previous RAF medical had been passed and therefore had trouble getting in. However, get in I did and I went on to fly for all of my 18 years of service.

gingernut
6th Jan 2008, 07:08
Yes, it can be revealled from your records. You can ask to see hese records by writing to your GP (In the UK).

I would'nt advocate lying, some of the medication you take may affect your abilities. (The stuff you take by mouth more so than the stuff you spray up your nose and put in your eyes.)

At the very least, your AME should know what meds you are taking.

gijoe
6th Jan 2008, 14:49
You would be amazed by the number of serving aircrew that suffer from 'Summer colds'!

:ok:

owen purday
6th Jan 2008, 14:57
If I do tell the RAF the full extent of my hayfever is it likely that they will fail me as pilot but will accept me as another sort of Officer?

Wingswinger
6th Jan 2008, 17:27
That certainly used to be the case. That's why I kept quiet!