PDA

View Full Version : Air Southwest

northloughshore
5th Jan 2008, 13:07
Is anybody starting with asw on the type rating course starting 28th Jan, I

adverse-bump
5th Jan 2008, 13:11
No, but I am starting on the 7th Jan, and yes, my stomach is doing flip flops!
Which base did you get?

northloughshore
5th Jan 2008, 13:20
I got the Plymouth base, and you?

adverse-bump
5th Jan 2008, 16:18
newquay, just trying to work out if im the only one there!

northloughshore
5th Jan 2008, 17:05
haha well at least you dont have to sort out acccomodation for a while cos they will put you up in a hotel in plymouth hey. I wouldn't expect that you are the only chappy in newquay. Do you know how much of the type we do in plymouth and how much in Paris?

adverse-bump
5th Jan 2008, 17:11
Yep, we had our joining instructions a while back.

first 2 weeks are the gs for the type rating in PLH, then there is another two weeks in PLH spent doing all the other odds and sods, fire training CRM, CAT II etc.

then off too paris for 10 days or how ever long! its a hard life!

northloughshore
5th Jan 2008, 17:20
so 4 weeks at the start in plymouth then 10 days in france then we prob do base training back in plymouth for a few days then on the line. Paris should be nice but I would expect to be very busy!

Flying Farmer
5th Jan 2008, 20:02
Hope you fellas enjoy ASW, have been with them now for nearly 2 years, a great bunch to work for and some very challenging flying into Plymouth.

Moving base back to PLH on April 1st so will see you online, hopefully in the other seat :E

northloughshore
5th Jan 2008, 23:12
Mr Farmer I would have to agree, from my limited exposure they do seem like a great bunch. Can I assume you are have a command course in your sights? And perhaps you can advise, Can command be expected after approx 2.5 yrs?

Flying Farmer
6th Jan 2008, 08:32
Northloughshore you will need a minimum of 2000 hours, 2500 is more common. A recommendation is also needed from our Pilot Review Board and also you need to score above a company level in all of your LPC/OPC sim sessions with an improvement each time.

In answer to your question, coming in with lowish hours you will be looking at over 3 yrs to Command.

northloughshore
6th Jan 2008, 09:10
Cheers fella

adwjenk
6th Jan 2008, 12:11
Hey,

Is Air Southwest still recruiting???

northloughshore
6th Jan 2008, 13:29
I can't speak on the companies behalf but you might as well apply if your interested!

dazdaz
6th Jan 2008, 14:24
Flying Farmer....
"some very challenging flying into Plymouth." You can say that again! Travel to PLH about seven times a month, mile or two out have to lift my plastic cup sharpish to catch my Plymouth gin, boy do you drop a few feet lol
Then anchors on at touchdown. Great little airline and really nice staff I'm sure you new guys will feel most at home. Although I'm still baffled with the Q for the 300
Daz

northloughshore
6th Jan 2008, 14:43
Haha yeah by all accounts plymouth is quite a tricky spot to get into, I was led to belive it was designed with runways transverse to the prevailing wind to teach RAF pilots how to crosswind land many years ago. QT for the 300??

dazdaz
6th Jan 2008, 15:06
OOps should have posted Q300 with (NVS) I presumed that is the model ASW are flying.
Daz

adwjenk
6th Jan 2008, 15:11
Yeah sent a CV via email going to send one by post to!
Just they seem like an excellent company to work for flying great planes on some challanging routes!

northloughshore
6th Jan 2008, 19:04
Dr dazdaz, there is a 300 and a q300, I think asw fly straight 300s not sure tho. The way it works is really quite simple tho but I'm not going to be a nerd and explain it! unless u want!

dazdaz
7th Jan 2008, 11:02
northloughshore
No probs know how the NVS works. Must be the straight 300s (hence the use of cotton wool in my ears lol) pre 1996 air frames. Thanks for your offer though.

Daz

SpringbokDreamer
9th Jan 2008, 17:56
They were the Qs but Nvs taken out, now they're VVL300 (V V Loud!!) Rumour has it that they're investigating the noise levels.

Good luck with ASw some REALLY great people there (lots leaving though:E)

Dreamer

northloughshore
10th Jan 2008, 20:56
cheers boet

BlueRobin
12th Jan 2008, 19:38
What's the current deal with the TR? Newquay sounds like an attractive beach-bound lifestyle, but what are the typical annual hours?

Any of you chaps above live near EGBW?

tunawholesalers
12th Jan 2008, 20:40
Q stands for quiet. Technically its not quiet though as it only dampens the vibrations with opposite vibrations. So, still loud but none of the bone shaking vibrations! ASW are definitely not Q300s! Say again, what?

See you on the line chaps!

flyhiguy28
16th Jan 2008, 20:10
Hi everyone,

I was just reading the post, it's very encouraging to hear that some people out there are getting jobs!!

I was based at Plymouth a few years ago flying the Grob Tutors for the Navy squadron that was there, so used to see the ASW cabs all the time. Sadly I failed flight training and am going to the bank this week to ask for funding for ATPL training. I've got a slot at OAT but can't afford, so looking at Cabair modular.

You guys seem really impressed with ASW and I have to admit i'd love to be based at Newquay!

I would really appreciate it if you'd pm me with your experiences of getting that job with ASW!

Thanking you in anticipation...

flyhiguy

stranded81
19th Jan 2008, 08:18
At last a thread about ASW! Fairly jealous of all your start dates, I did the selection last November and apparently passed. But according to their letter all the places for the January courses had been filled leaving me in the hold pool...

Better than nothing I suppose but I need to escape instructing! Anybody else in my position?

Kazakhstan
7th Sep 2008, 11:41
Hi Guys,

I have an interview with ASW soon and I would like to know what to expect, if anyone has info. The sim assessment is on a Duchess FNPT2.
What is roster + hours like. Do the Q300s have FMS and what are they, Honeywell, Universal?
Regards,

Kaz.

Dihaz
7th Sep 2008, 14:36
Hey Guys,

Any of you guys know if theyre recruiting, ive sent a CV in but no reply to say that they have recieved it or anything. Very Curious.

Cheers
Dihaz

Robin Duthoo
8th Sep 2008, 12:16
Good question, have sent application too and no reply. If anyone knows about ASW current recruitment state, I would be very interested as well.

will fly for food 06
8th Sep 2008, 16:44
They picked up F/Os last year im afraid

Happy Wanderer
8th Sep 2008, 22:13
Just curious as to why you would automatically expect to get a reply to a written application. Have you tried phoning them?????

HW

adverse-bump
8th Sep 2008, 22:33
ASW get hundreds of CV's a month. Why would they reply unless to say you have an interview?

To answer the question about the mighty dash, it is a modern all singing, all dancing EFIS machine with a FMC, TCAS and all the modern toys (I think it was designed buy boeing who owned DHC at the time. It is not a Q300, there are no q300's on the uk reg that i know of, they are dash 8 311a's.

There is no set roster pattern, you can request an unlimited amount of days of each month, and 9 times out of 10 will get them. Hours can be anywhere between 50 and 100 hours a month.

Kazakhstan
9th Sep 2008, 11:34
Thanks adverse-bump.