PDA

View Full Version : Happy Pilots

Johnman
5th Jan 2008, 10:47
Everybody including pilots say that we complain by nature and we always need things done differently.I would like this thread to be for Happy pilots. Please say why you are satisfied wherever you are .

bufe01
5th Jan 2008, 11:09
I doubt a thing such a happy pilot really exists but your initiative definitely deserves all possible support!
...I'm happy because, not beeing good enough to become a professional footballer, flying was second on the list of cool things to do trying to avoid a real job!
Cheers

5man
5th Jan 2008, 11:20
Mate

The only time one is a happy pilot is when he or she just pass the IR exam and finally going to get that ATPL license. But after that as the years rolls by there is no such thing as a happy pilot

Flyjets
5th Jan 2008, 13:09
Happiness for a pilot is many times but one minute each... and this untill retirement.:eek:

middlepath
5th Jan 2008, 13:57
touk

good to hear someone is happy. I assume you did not mind the traffic in DXB,inflation, Summer heat and friends/family back home.

kwachon
5th Jan 2008, 15:54
I am a happy pilot. 14 hour duty day, thunderstorms, incorrect catering, 3 hour wait for fuel, passengers late and weather diversions. Why am I happy?, I am home in my villa.

ManaAdaSystem
5th Jan 2008, 18:12
I'm happy cause the schedule is great... the pay is great... and the people I fly with are great...

Life is much better here than in the sandpit...

revolucionpilot
5th Jan 2008, 18:23
You got to be kidding.

Vorsicht
5th Jan 2008, 18:46
I'm Happy because I'm leaving the sandpit:O:O:O:O:O:O

Panama Jack
5th Jan 2008, 19:30
Why not be happy? For the first time in my life I am:

1) Making enough money to support a satisfactory standard of living;
2) Living somewhere that I enjoy;
3) Enjoy the job I am doing and the working environment that I am doing it in; and
4) Get time off and benefits (travel) to have a good time.

Sure, there are little things that come up from time to time, but by and large, (and sure, things can always be better) why not be happy.

Johnman
5th Jan 2008, 22:00
So after all there is few happy pilots. it is quite understood that you can't win everything in life.Thank you all for your participation.

PositiveRate876
6th Jan 2008, 08:09
Tomuchwork:
nice collegues (preferably wih the same ethnic background

So you have to be racist to be happy? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I don't know what ethnic background you are, but I don't want you as my collegue! :=

We chart our lives in order to be happy. For the most part, we know what we are getting ourselves into. Whatever situation you are in, you got yourself into it. So if you're not happy, it's your fault.

ibelieveicanfly
6th Jan 2008, 08:34
I am happy in my present job but I am happier now because I am just hired by Emirates.I will start an A330 course in mid-april.

menard
6th Jan 2008, 09:38
I am happy because I flew to Hyderabad last night, and I had the privilege of staying awake all night, watch the sun come up and burn my face.... But what would make me happier would be a nice pay-cut, and more inflation... Isn't life good?....Thank you....

Homo Ludens
6th Jan 2008, 10:05
The happyness is a state of mind. One can choose to be happy or otherwise.

Good flying to all!

bufe01
6th Jan 2008, 10:15
...told you we should support such an initiative!
Mate! Traffic, inflation in DXB?!
I'm having a laugh, I'm from Rome and probably, lifestyle wise, my perfect job would be with AZ!
Ever driven in Rome?

Cheers

Wings Of Fury
6th Jan 2008, 11:25
Interesting stuff,
In my experience of unhappy pilots, usually the ones that don't stop complaining, they are humans that should have chosen another profession.
Or at least thought about it a little more before ie. If you want to fly airlines expect to be away for long periods of time and work in very odd places and hours.

So in continuing this thread, I am a happy pilot, and like SNAM so rightly pointed out, if you go to live in a foreign land try to adapt!
When you look at it, it is a great privilege we have earned so enjoy it, but with it comes a little sacrifice, Love it! :ok:

fractional
6th Jan 2008, 12:00
There will be never a happy pilot or happy people regardless of anyone say. Being happy is circumstantial and it varies from person-to-person and from moment-to-moment. It is a matter of how much you make out of what is available to you. It is obvious that it is theoretically correct that you will be happier for longer if you leave in an established society despite all the adversities.
As human beings, we always want more and more, and many times. We need to do it legitimately without going overboard. I do not think this is a very entertaining thread to continue.
Company owners, CEOs, your direct supervisors, HRs, Rosters, Pax, etc., will contribute for your happiness or total unhappiness. We better take it one at the time.
If unhappy, I will try to speak to my bosses. I will try a second time. If no success, I will stick to the company rules because I have too, and start looking around (far, near...) and look for the best deal. There is no paradise anywhere. Just the (still) pictures show it.

menard
6th Jan 2008, 13:08
You guys are airline manager's wildest dream.

Like me, you're thankful for that ultimate privilege: flying between clouds in your big big big jet.......ahhhhhhh...

Bredrin
6th Jan 2008, 18:50
Many of these unhappy pilots left home because their OWN airlines run by there OWN people treated them badly, even with unions to help fight the battles.

Living in a different country, with a different culture from your own will always cause some stress. GROW UP! DEAL WITH IT! .....OR...LEAVE!!!!

Nowhere is perfect but, my family is happy, I am doing well, fix the rostering and I would be happier yet.

PositiveRate876
6th Jan 2008, 22:31
Unions are a result of poor management bredrin. If the workers were treated right, there would be no need for unions.

As far as happiness goes, it's a state of mind. :) The number one seniority man at my previous company was one miserable alcoholic. He never smiled and always complained. And his roster never had less than 22 days off... all of which he spent walking around town drunk. :ugh:

ironbutt57
7th Jan 2008, 01:01
Unions happened when E.L. Cord and the rest of aviation management "pioneers" put numbers ahead of safety...unions in general lost the plot on safety and turned collective bargaining negotiations into financial arguements..that being said..if you ever bend an aircraft (never did yet touch wood) you will be glad for the other benefits ALPA provides....

Johnman
7th Jan 2008, 08:12
Thank you for your points of view.Job satisfaction is an important factor and it highly contributes to aviation safety.The last two years there was high demand and shortage of pilots,which resulted in high flying and duty hours.This added new stresses and fatigue . If you ask pilots , what kind of a job they'll choose if time goes back , many would say that they enjoy flying and they'd choose to be pilots again.Pilots are proud of their career and they have many challenges which requires high level of skill and judgment at all times and it is important that they get the right atmosphere and conditions to operate up to the highest standards.

yardman
7th Jan 2008, 10:15
I work for EK and I'm happy. There I said it! I feel even happier now:8. Listen guys, happiness comes from within. It's a choice you make. EK doesn't have the power over me to influence my happiness. Besides, it really isn't that bad all things considered.

Johnman
7th Jan 2008, 21:20
Happy Safe flights to all.

CEO PITA
7th Jan 2008, 23:54
There is NO happy pilots in QR !

But there is a lot of pilots working just for money not for happines !

Alpha 6
8th Jan 2008, 05:16
I'm not happy because vacation's over for me but can't wait to fly again...:)
I'm happy to fly again coz it's winter and I wish it will not end...
so please put the a/c back on mister engineer for summer :\

Happy 2008 to all:ok:
A6

Nokuya
8th Jan 2008, 09:43
Someone once told me in Aviation that,

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.

I am not the most experienced pilot here, but I have known many successful pilots/senior managment/CEO's and I must say the happiness plays a big part. I just wanted to say I am glad to see such a forum exists, as I feel privileged to be part of the world of Hawks & Eagles everytime I go up! The more and more I fly, the more I love it!

Hukuna Matata and a Happy New Year!

N-Man.....:)

dunerider
8th Jan 2008, 09:53
I am happy that I had a couple of five hundred dirham notes in my wallet today as my standard shop at Choithrams cost me 988.52.A few years ago it was 550.Lucky my wife didn't raid my wallet this morning.

Johnman
9th Jan 2008, 08:35
Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success.
Thank you Nokyua,I realy liked that

BANANASBANANAS
9th Jan 2008, 08:46
I thought happiness for a pilot was defined as a dry f#rt at top of climb out of CCU.

We do seem to grumble a lot and there are times when its justified but I wouldn't want to do anything else.

Bad to the bones
9th Jan 2008, 12:44
Man, I have been living in this region for 3 1/2 years and I still happy, I came to the conclusion that been happy or sad its only a election that I have to do, why going for the worst option???. It is true that some times rostering, and other company staff makes you ungry but generally speaking, It is very good, my family likes this peaceful place, money is exellent, I got allways my leaves when I requested, Lots of friendly people, and lot of people that makes you sick as well, specially that people that is allways complaining abouth every thing with or with out reason . But they still here.

ekpilot
10th Jan 2008, 10:41
Pilots have to prove to themselves all the time. This a an aviation professional pilot forum and it sounds like a bunch of girls talking about nails, and diets. Why do you always have to conclude on the happiness subject when discussing aviation thread. Maybe a professional pilot happiness network should be formed for those who like to discuss their physiological state of mind. Pilots always seems to conclude every discussion with their happiness level. If one guy is happy in certain conditions who cares, so stop talking about girls stuff and stick to aviation please... Discuss flying conditions, fatigue related situations, airplanes, pay, good things and bad things, but please give me a break with the happiness bs... Stop mixing apples and oranges. When we discuss money or work conditions stick to the point. If the company improves it's productivity by 20% every year and my productivity goes down by 20% it is just normal to talk about facts. Not happiness. That's why managers are degrading pilots conditions all over the industry. Because we are happy... Remember this is a business and when i go to work it is for money, not to know if the guy i fly with is happy...

Typical pilot: I had a bad day at the office and it was not good, i had no support and had to deal with lots of bs... BUT I am so happy, it could be worst, i could be in a worst situation... i need to prove myself i did the right move to come here by telling everyone that when i have issues or a problem, i don't need to discuss ways of improving the situation. All I need to do is convince myself that i am so happy...

menard
10th Jan 2008, 11:21
Excellent post EKpilot,

There is, indeed, a lot of confusion between feelings and business. For most expats, this is a business relationship between a company (you don't really belong to) and I contracted pilot... Not more, not less.

The company's approach is to maximize the use of automation, and force people to stick to procedures.

That way, they can recruit happy "incompetents". Skills become secondary, so pay and working conditions become secondary too...

If the job is being done by somebody that is so happy with his "privilege" of flying, that is not even asking to be paid for his work....

Hire the "happy", this is cost effective!

All this sounds silly, isn't it?

That's what happens when you mix feelings and business.

Wings Of Fury
10th Jan 2008, 13:02
Don't let the company know your happy! :=

Johnman
12th Jan 2008, 12:41
We cannot deny that working at certain places and companies where a good system and proceedures are followed and where all the needs for workers are addressed will create an atmosphere where all will work as a team to improve productivity.Airlines manageres have many worries to maintain the standards required with their limited budgets and the increased dry operating costs.Is there an ideal place around?. with the cost of living these days we will find that the average salaries these days should'nt be less than 30,000 $ for Captains and 18000$for co-pilots.Pilots used to be the highest paid among other Professions,try and ask any major aircraft manufacturing company for support pilots and see how much they will ask for. If pilots live up to the 5 star hotels they live in and maintain thier social immage by living in the most
luxurious neighborhoods and drive latest model cars and have a nice vacation once a year with their families , have their kids at the appropriate schools and have the most convenient insurances.How much do you think is enough for just a normal life that all executives are living. We see that pilots try always to save here and there , and lower their standard to be able to live a decent life with their income. I think this year you'll see a good salary increase everywhere in the world but remember that statistics shows that 70% of the time you don't get a raise is because you don't ask for it.Happy flights to all.