PDA

View Full Version : Phone connection issue

Groundbased
5th Jan 2008, 10:39
Hi all, and Happy New Year.

For ages I have had a setup where I have the router cable and the phone line connected to an adapter that then has one line into the BT socket on the wall.

This has given me phone and internet connection for ages with no problem. I recently bought a new phone, disconnected the old one and put the new one in. Now I cannot get the two together, I have to disconnect the phone in order to get on the internet. When I connected the old phone back up again I get the same.

Baffled. Can anyone help me?

Cheers.

frostbite
5th Jan 2008, 11:43
Assuming you're on broadband - do you have a filter installed?

Are there any other phones/equipment on the same line anywhere that could have taken you over the REN limit for that line?

Groundbased
5th Jan 2008, 18:06
Well the adapter is the filter so up to now this is the only filter I have needed. I rebooted the router, which worked for a bit but now back with the same problem. When I have both connected to the filter the router shows a broadband connection but the phone won't work. Perhaps the filter is banjaxed?

Blues&twos
5th Jan 2008, 19:08
I've not had exactly the same problem as you describe, but similar problems in the past for me have all been solved with a new filter....probably the easiest bit to replace too.

Have you done any other troubleshooting? Start off from the point where you haven't got anything at all plugged in to your phone socket, and gradually add bits until you get a problem (apologies if you've already done this).
Edited to add that the last time I disconnected/re-connected our wireless phone from/to the filter it didn't work - I had to force it to talk to the base station by pressing the "intercom" button for some reason. Once I had done this, no problem.