PDA

View Full Version : Rivet placement question

Legalapproach
5th Jan 2008, 09:53
Can anybody point me in the direction of information/the formula regarding the placement of rivets close to the edge of a piece of metal.

Thanks

Beeline
5th Jan 2008, 10:46
Most typical standard Practice manual or SRM will state a Land (sheet edge distance) of 2D (x2 Diameter of the rivet) and subsequent distance of chain rows or staggereds of 4D. Rivet diameter would be determined by a number of vaiables i.e metal guage/thickness.
:ok:

Legalapproach
5th Jan 2008, 17:20
Beeline

Thanks for the swift response

:ok:

happybiker
5th Jan 2008, 20:28
There is some useful general information in FAA Advisory Circular AC43-13. Section 4-57 provides info on riveting.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/99C827DB9BAAC81B86256B4500596C4E?OpenDocument&Highlight=acceptable%20methods

Perrin
6th Jan 2008, 09:00
This reminds me of a true but funny (not at the time)story about drilling out a rivet.
Many years ago at Scottish Aviation Ltd at Prestwick a fitter drilled out a 1/8 rivet and had enlarged the hole, as they say he then made a mess of riveting a 5/32 and then 3/16 rivet. To cut a long story short the A/C (Viscount) ended
up with a repair 4inch by 4 inch (not I may add by the guy who did the first rivet), everyone had a good time hearing about it and the story grows year by year.
For the older guys remember the Vickers repair rivets,mush head with a countersink, they had them in all sizes and colours.
Keep them flying in 2008 I will be using one to go on holiday.
Pete :ooh: