PDA

View Full Version : Airshow related accidents

G-KEST
4th Jan 2008, 21:26
I hope thread readers my be able to offer information on the following accidents for a friend of mine in South Africa who is assembling a data base of airshow related accidents and analysing the possible causal factors.

AUG 81: DE HAVILLAND CHIPMUNK (ANCONA, ITALY)

25 MAY 1946: SUPERMARINE SEAFIRE, III (BEAULIEU, UK)

???? 1948: DE HAVILLAND MOSQUITO (STAFFORDSHIRE, UK)
A Mosquito in Staffordshire crashed on a hospital during an aerobatic display.

???? 1948: DE HAVILLAND MOSQUITO (KENT, UK)
On the same day as another Mosquito crashed onto a hospital in Staffordshire, this time in Kent, another ‘Mossie; crashed into the crowd during an aerobatic display, tragically killing twelve spectators.

???? 1949: WELLINGTON, (RAF MIDDLETON, ST GEORGE, UK)
The article "A Demonstration in Disaster" recalls a crash involving a Wellington navigational trainer at an airshow held at RAF Middleton, St George, now Teesside Airport)

11 JUNE 1950: SUPERMARINE SPITFIRE (HAMPSHIRE, UK)
PK322 Spitfire, 611 Squadron collided with PK523 during a display practice.

03 AUGUST 1951: DE HAVILLAND DH82A TIGER MOTH (HULLAVINGTON, UK)
Stalled while inverted during a flying display at Hullavington.

19 SEPTEMBER 1953: DH82A TIGER MOTH DE899 (BINBROOK, UK)
Sideslipped into the ground during an air display Binbrook.

???? 1953
A quirk of fate? Two Meteor F-8's from different air stations disintegrated during low runs at air displays, both on the same day.

11 JUNE 1955: DE HAVILLAND DH82C TIGER MOTH (GREENWOOD, CANADA)
Stalled during air show at Greenwood NS.

19??: In a co-ordinated synchro display at Farnborough between a Viggen and a SAAB105 in the mid 70s, the SAAB 105 did a wheels-up landing.

199?: Also at Farnborough In the mid-1990’s, an Su-27 ran off the end of the runway following an instruction to land by the Flying Control Committee because the practice display was apparently all over the place with several contraventions of the display arena. The aircraft touched down fast with more than two-thirds of the runway behind the aircraft! On questioning the pilot about the deep touch-down, he answered: “but you said land immediately – so that’s what I did!”

Any contributions would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Reaper 69
:cool:

AvroLincoln
4th Jan 2008, 22:38
Same question on the Flypast Historic Forum, where I have posted a couple of replies.

henry crun
5th Jan 2008, 00:35
G-KEST: PM for you..

old,not bold
5th Jan 2008, 11:51
G-KEST

I was at a RAF day at Waterbeach when about 12-13 years old, ie about 1953. I had cycled there from Cambridge to see the show. 4 Meteors were doing a formation display. I think they were in a box when the rear two collided. This may be one of the incidents in your list.

The accident has been engraved on my memory all my life. I was standing, as it turned out, close to the mother of one of the pilots in the formation, although of course no-one knew until later which of them were involved. I remember one aircraft losing its tail end, and both crashing on the field and burning, with at least one parachute appearing to go into one of the fires.

My mother still has, I think, a dated cutting from the local paper which I could copy and send, although not until I next visit her, which would be in the next 2-3 weeks.

Afterthought: I'm losing confidence in the date of 1953...could have been well before that. I've just remembered that we moved from Cambridge well before then!

T-21
7th Jan 2008, 04:34
They were 2 No 63 Squadron Meteor F.8's WB106 hit WE869/X at Waterbeach on 15.09.1951.

old,not bold
7th Jan 2008, 08:50
T-21, thanks for that.

G-KEST, if you would still like the cutting for your SA friend, please let me know.

Butor
7th Jan 2008, 08:57
As a child I remember in the early 50s (I guess) a fatal accident of an Auster at an airshow at Boston, Lincolnshire. The aircraft was being demonstrated and it stalled and crashed into the bank of a drain beyond the end of the grass runway. (I believe that it had been doing a very low speed flypast).

It was the first and only aircraft accident that I ever saw and it left a strong impression as both occupants were killed.

Mike

G-KEST
7th Jan 2008, 11:52
Another list of accidents where information is required by my friend in South Africa. Help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Reaper 69

20 SEPTEMBER 1947: De Havilland Mosquito

Crashed at Rempstone, Nottinghamshire during BoB display at Wymeswold.
Detail required?

25 MAY 1965: AVRO VULCAN (RAF SCAMPTON, UK)

The wing of a Vulcan hit the ground after running out of fuel at a US Air Show whilst landing and then skidded into the Air Traffic Traffic Control. XM576.
Detail required. Can’t find confirmation that it actually occurred!

VICTOR CRASH????

Internet extract without any substantiation! True or False?
B(I)8 & Gainsey Ref the 543 Victor, 543 were being presented with their Colours, by, I believe, Princess Anne. Anyway they had a parade on the lazy, where also were lined up their Victors. The culmination of this was to be a rapid start and scramble of one of the said a/c. followed by a flypast. Sod's law came into play and the prime went **** up, the crew, minus I think the Nav Rad, who was to get some pics for the Captain, ran to the standby, started and taxied . He did a wonderful take off (min fuel) airborne well before the intersection and pulled into a tight r.h climbing turn, intending to line up on 27 for a max rate climb, but he was unable to pull onto the centreline due to speed & not letting out far enough so he called going around for another try. He came over us going like the proverbial bat out of hell, and in at least 50 to 60 deg bank, got to the far side of the airfield and the tailplane departed, the rest is history, apart from the fact that I got hauled in to do the first night's guard at the crash site. Incidently, The Daily Mirror was the only paper to get a photo of the take off and initial climbing turn, and it headlined it's next day's edition "Death of a Giant" with said pic on the front page

23 AUGUST 1969: SOUIX HELICOPTER (CHRISTCHURCH REGATTA,

XT509 Souix AH1 (ARWF) collided with XW191 during a display at Christchuch Regatta.
Detail as to cause and manoeuvre required.

?? SEPTEMBER 1975: HAWKER HARRIER (YEOVILTON, UK)

Yeovilton Navy Day Sep 1975 was marred by an unfortunate incident when the pilot of the Harrier was killed when the ejection seat fired while he was climbing out of the aircraft.
Can’t find any substantiation of this accident!

15 APRIL 1975: XT242 Sioux AH1.Blue Eagles.

AAC display team crashed in a field near Barton Stacey
Detail as to cause and manoeuvre required.

?? 1979: LOCKHEED F-104 STARFIGHTER (BINBROOK, UK).

One of the first early references to G-LOC was in 1979. On the break to land after completing his display, the pilot was killed pulling the aircraft it straight into the ground. G-LOC was assumed as the most probable cause.
Can’t find substantiation or date!

13 SEPTEMBER 1984: BELL 206 JET RANGER (LEDBURY, UK)

Detail required. Cause and manoeuvre.

28 SEPTEMBER 1985: MICROLITE (FORDINGBRIDGE, UK)

G-MMXX Microlite, cr during display at school Fordingbridge.
Detail required. Cause and manoeuvre.

19 MAY 1991: PROVOST T5 (ALDERMASTON, BERKSHIRE, UK)

Crashed during a low level turn while practising for an air display.
Detail required. Cause?

treadigraph
7th Jan 2008, 12:18
Reaper

1979 Starfighter crash at Binbrook - this may have actually been at Yeovilton as a West German Navy F-104 crashed fatally during the landing sequence at the FAA display there in '79.

I do recall the Aldermaston Provost which I believe was G-BKOS. The AAIB report was published in Pilot, might be able to track it down if no one else can help.

Cheers

Treadders

G-KEST
7th Jan 2008, 12:49
Treadders,

I was at the Yeovilton display with Lindsey Walton's Nord 1002 G-ATBG and had lunch with the pilot of the F-104 prior to his display. I flew my own slot shortly after the crash and vividly remember seeing the Starfighter pitch up uncontrollably during the turn onto final. A very unforgiving aircraft as the accident record showed. My own display was a rather subdued one after watching the tragedy unfold.

The Provost crash involved a friend though his name escapes me. I recall his first name as Peter. He had been involved with the Leisure Sport team displays. It was a piston Provost rather than a JP5 though.

Cheers,

Reaper 69

pulse1
7th Jan 2008, 12:58
Vulcan XH576 crashed at Scampton on 25th May 65 doing an asymetric roller landing using Nos 3 & 4 engines. All crew survived.

Source: Vulcan Test Pilot by Tony Blackman

"The co-pilot was to carry out an asymetric approach.... it flew along the left side of the runway ..... catptain took over and opened up all four engines"

"The left wingtip hit the ground, the nosewheel and port u/carraige collapsed and the aircraft slid into a carpark and struck the control tower."

The cause was attributed to lack of rudder authority after the idling engines opened up slower than the live ones. This was the second Vulcan accident from a similar cause.

treadigraph
7th Jan 2008, 13:16
Hi Reaper 69,

It was Peter Newberry in the Provost who was also a BA 747 Captain I think.

Treadders

G-KEST
7th Jan 2008, 13:26
Treadders,

Many thanks for the reminder. Peter was a huge enthusiast.

Cheers,

Reaper 69

Gainesy
7th Jan 2008, 14:16
G-KEST, have you had a skim through the Vulcan, Metor and airshow incidents threads in the mil forum? Quite a few accidents/incidents recalled in those.

The RAF Harrier pilot killed at Yeovilton is correct, I'm just trying to recall his name. He forgot to re-pin the seat and trod on the handle as he was getting out, the display jet was from the OCU and I think that he was the display pilot following Hoof Proudfoot. Steve Something?

Actually, noting your location, you could nip over the road and ask.:)

Chris Royle
7th Jan 2008, 20:16
I was there and can confirm that a RAF Harrier pilot was killed. Can't confirm the date.
Just remember seeing a body thrown into the air like a rag doll, and then realising it was an accident. Horrible.
I seem to recall that the reason was given as the pilot was not paying attention, being in a probable state of semi euphoria after his display.

Chris Royle
7th Jan 2008, 20:20
There is a nice memorial bench to Pete at White Waltham.

Dick Whittingham
7th Jan 2008, 21:33
Re Victor breakup, IIRC, there was a crash at Cottesmore in 1961 at a display for the RCDS or IDC as it was. I have trouble here, for we were flying at the display but I did not see any accident. Maybe we were told about it. Maybe it was history. Anyway, the story as I remember being told it, was that the Victor had done a slow flypast and had cleaned up and was coming round for a fast run. A stiff crosswind was blowing him toward his line and to keep in front of the crowd he gradually tightened up the turn. At over 60deg bank the aircraft broke up. Has my brain finally crumbled or does anyone else recall anything like this?

Dick W

bonajet
8th Jan 2008, 07:32
The harrier mate was Steve Beckley. From memory the F104 at Yeovilton was told by ATC to shorten his display , which he duly did. I think that is a different one to the G-Loc RIAB.

landing-gear
8th Jan 2008, 14:28
Hawker Hurricane @ RAFA Airshow Shoreham September 2007

Simulated Spitfire and Hurricane scramble- 9 aircraft airbourne

I watched as the Hurricane swung out over the hills surrounding the airfield, rolled on its back and went into the ground vertically.
Some say the engine had stopped?? who knows?

Very moving "man missing" formation taken up by the other aircrews.RIP

Warmtoast
8th Jan 2008, 19:39
???? 1953
A quirk of fate? Two Meteor F-8's from different air stations disintegrated during low runs at air displays, both on the same day.

This one

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/BOBFataitiesSept1953.jpg

The Times Sept 1953

This started a thread in the Miltary Aircrew forum which can be seen here:
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=300245&highlight=Meteor+Accidents

Gainesy
9th Jan 2008, 09:28
70 At Home displays.:uhoh:

Frogmore
8th Nov 2011, 19:54
I was at the Yeovilton display when the Harrier pilot was killed. I was at the end of the crowd nearest the accident. When the ejector fired I looked around to see the pilot thrown up into the air behind what I think was a refuelling area. The crowd hardly reacted at all and apart from ambulances arriving at the scene there was no indication that anything had happened. No announcements were made and the display carried on.

My reason for posting this is that today a Red Arrows pilot was killed at RAF Scampton when his ejector seat fired whilst the aircraft was on the ground. My thoughts are with both pilots' families because it will undoubtedly have stirred memories.

dixi188
9th Nov 2011, 12:46
Farnborough Saab 105

I think this was 1974.

I saw this happen.

The Saab 105 did a "touch and go" over the top and in front of the Viggen that was lined up for take off. The Viggen took off while the 105 did a loop.

On coming out of the loop the pilot forgot to extend the gear and the 105 landed on its belly. It stayed wings level until it stopped and then tipped onto one wingtip.

The aircraft was removed with a crane and Queen Mary and the runway was re opened within 15 mins, while the Viggen did an extended display.

My father was at the show the following day and the Saab 105 was flying again with the announcer telling the crowd what had happened and what a good aircraft it was.

Hope this helps.

Vampiredave
9th Nov 2011, 15:13
Old, Not Bold: you have a PM

On the subject of display incidents, there are several tragic aerobatic team-related accidents which seem to have poorly been documented. Can anyone recall the names of the other team members involved?

No.1 Squadron: In April 1950, tragedy struck when the squadron's four-ship entry for the 11 Group aerobatic team competition was withdrawn after its leader, Flt Lt Pete Speller, was killed whilst rehearsing for the final elimination contest at Tangmere; rammed from behind by his Number 4 during a formation loop, the tail of Speller’s Meteor was sliced off and the wreckage fell to the ground in front of a crowd of horrified spectators. One of the other team members was Pilot III D C Harpham.

No.56 Squadron:The month of March 1950 was entirely devoted to various forms of aerobatic flying in preparation for the 11 Group formation aerobatic competition at RAF Thorney Island in May. On 29 March the squadron's four-ship display team suffered a tragic mishap when Flt Lt Constable-Maxwell was killed when his Meteor (VW277) got into difficulties during a formation sortie and crashed on the mud flats off Thorney Island. With little time to train a replacement to the required standard, the team reluctantly withdrew from the competition.

No.63 Squadron: By December 1950, the squadron began to re-equip with Meteor F.8s and its team of four Meteors continued to give occasional displays until the following September, when two aircraft (WB106 and WE869) were involved in a tragic mid-air collision during the Battle of Britain celebrations at Waterbeach; one of the pilots, Fg Off Robin Pavey was unfortunately killed, whilst Fg Off L J B Smith managed to eject after losing the tail of his Meteor. The accident brought an end to any further formation display flying on the squadron.

No.5 FTS: On 15 October 1959, tragedy struck when two Vampire T.11s of the 'Hot Box' team collided during a display for a passing-out parade at Oakington. One of the Vampires (WZ495) crashed at Elmsworth, Cambs, killing Flt Sgt H W Gibson AFM, while the other aircraft (XE897) flown by Flt Sgt R G Gregory was able to return to base and subsequently struck off charge.

No.8 FTS: By 1961 the school’s team was flying Vampire trainers and on 24 March 1961 it suffered a tragic accident when two of its aircraft collided during a formation loop at the graduation parade of No.139 Pilot Course at RAF Swinderby. One of the pilots, Flt Lt M T Chapman was unfortunately killed when his Vampire (XE944) crashed in a field near Swinderby, while Sqn Ldr L A Boyer was able to safely eject before his aircraft (WZ513) came down near Binbrook, south of Grimsby. Despite the temporary set-back, an improvised display team appeared at that year’s Battle of Britain shows at Aldergrove and Finningley later in the year.

Fareastdriver
9th Nov 2011, 15:36
Empire Air Day at Aldergrove either 1948 or 49. A Tiger Moth doing an aerobatic display only managed 90% of a loop. Engine crushed the front cockpit but it was being flown solo so the pilot shaken but not stirred.
Whole lot put on a trailer and paraded in front of the crowd so that they could see what a crashed aeroplane looked like.

stepwilk
9th Nov 2011, 17:24
A U. S. air-show accident--fatality--but I assume that counts.

I was at the Reading Air Show (Reading, Pennsylvania) in the early summer of 1969 as an editor of Flying Magazine. I thus was outside the crowd barrier, with a photographer's pass. Reading was THE big general aviation show in the U. S. at the time, well before the EAA was anything but a small enthusiast organization.

Not 100 feet in front of me, a Piper J-3 Cub suddenly went in vertically--first aircraft accident I'd ever seen. The pilot was a famous air-show performer, Dick Schramm, who did a classic "crazy flying farmer" act in which he wandered out of the crowd, dressed in bib overalls and a straw hat, and ostensibly sneaked into the cockpit of an idling, parked Cub.

Schramm took off first on one wheel and then the other, cross-controlled every which way, while those people in the crowd who didn't realize it was an act were horrified. After several goofy 50-foot-agl fly-bys, he waved the joystick out the open window as though to say, "What do I do with this?" and as I remember, he dropped it. General consternation.

It was of course a spare stick, and he put into the stick socket in the back seat a second stick he'd hidden away.

Unfortunately, this time he apparently didn't seat the stick properly, and his next maneuver was a very low-altitude loop. On the backside of the loop, coming straight down, the stick popped out of the socket, with the inevitable result. He was of course killed instantly--there wasn't even a fire, just a sound like a watermelon being dropped out of a five-story window--and the sad thing was that the running commentary was being delivered by his son, Dick Schramm Jr., who as I remember was with the Blue Angels as a PA commenter. Schramm Jr. continued with his narration calmly, despite knowing that his father had just died, and warned the crowd to stay back, let emergency personnel handle it, etc. etc.

I've never forgotten that scene.

Kim Speller
16th Jul 2012, 19:40
I was interested in your post re No 1 Squadron and the airshow crash of April 19 1950. Flt Lt Pete Speller was my father and I have been trying to collect up info about him as I never knew him. I was only 1 when he was killed.

Can you let me know were you got your information on the crash from.

Many thanks

Lukeafb1
17th Jul 2012, 13:41
I recall being at an air display at RNAS Culdrose sometime in the 1980s when an Army Beaver took off for its display. Culdrose has a hump in the runway, so it is not possible to see the (Northern?) end of the runway.

During the day, there was no indication of any problems and we left at the end of the display.

It was only when we got back to our hotel, that the first thing on the local TV news, was that the Beaver had crashed on takeoff and the pilot had been killed.

air pig
17th Jul 2012, 21:36
Past 15 years: Spitfire at Woodford in front of crowd line, Vintage pair at Mildenhall, Two MiG 29s at Fairford, and Mosquito at Barton, not forgetting Don Bullock in the A26 at Biggin Hill or Squadron Leader Johnson ejecting after hitting a yacht mast at Brighton.

Many deaths but some survivors.

Regards

Air pig.

ps \forgot the Harrier off Lowestoft or Frecce at Ramstein

gpugh
18th Jul 2012, 06:44
Hi I was at Culdrose and saw the Beaver crash ,from memory, which is not that good, he was actualy doing some very slow flying into a very strong wind and turned quickly downwind in a tight turn and just fell out of the sky at least I think thats how I remember it

Gordon

Geezers of Nazareth
18th Jul 2012, 16:16
G-KEST,

?? SEPTEMBER 1975: HAWKER HARRIER (YEOVILTON, UK)

Yeovilton Navy Day Sep 1975 was marred by an unfortunate incident when the pilot of the Harrier was killed when the ejection seat fired while he was climbing out of the aircraft.
Can’t find any substantiation of this accident!

If it was indeed the 1975 show, it was on 6th September, however enthusiast reports from the event make no mention of such an incident.
However, the only two Harriers listed at Yeovilton that weekend were XV804 coded '45' and XW922 coded '49', both from 233 OCU.

tristar 500
19th Jul 2012, 19:32
Post 1 said, 199?: Also at Farnborough In the mid-1990’s, an Su-27 ran off the end of the runway following an instruction to land by the Flying Control Committee because the practice display was apparently all over the place with several contraventions of the display arena. The aircraft touched down fast with more than two-thirds of the runway behind the aircraft! On questioning the pilot about the deep touch-down, he answered: “but you said land immediately – so that’s what I did!”

The date was 1994, I was there with the ground crew for the display along with some RAE staff.
The SU 27 validation started badly, he took off the wrong way, did his display backwards, was told to land which, as you say, he did. The touch down was over half way down runway 24 & he went off the end. It took us till about 1230AM to get it back on to the paved area!! The pilot was hauled up in front of the powers that be & severly reprimanded also banned from flying in the display. The Russians pointed out that he was their only display pilot they had for the aircraft so they would not be displaying it. His suspension was withdrawn & he flew nearly every day!.

tristar 500

chevvron
19th Jul 2012, 23:04
There was still an arrestor barrier across the end of the runway in those days. The tower controller was unaware if the SU27 was 'approved' to engage it so although SOP was to have it raised for takeoff and landing of all fast jets, he lowered it. I still wonder to this day if this was the correct action, although by doing so, the aircraft was able to fly later; if it had engaged the barrier, there might have been some airframe damage to prevent it flying.
As an aside, Honey Monster who recently posted in the ATC thread, had a wicked sense of humour. He was in the tower and several people were walking across the runway for morning briefing. He saw John Cunningham approaching the 'bottleneck' (narrow bit at the end of the runway) and raised the arrestor barrier. Cunningham stopped, looked at it, decided it was no hazard, carefully parted the vertical webbing strips, stepped through them, and continued to the briefing tent!
The first airshow accident I witnessed after I was posted to Farnborough was in 1974 with the Sikorsky S67 Blackhawk prototype (Not to be confused with the present day H60 Blackhawk - an entirely different airframe). It was part way through its display, flying north east along the display line and at the end, pulled up to commence a barrel roll. Now this, I'm told, had not been included in his rehearsed and approved display, but had been added with the verbal approval of OC Flying. Unfortunately, it rolled out with a high rate of descent. I was in an 'office' with a good view of the flying on the third floor of the tower preparing the next day's flying programme along with a couple of colleagues. It was obvious from the blade slap that something was wrong, and I said 'he's going in' simultaneously with one of the others who said the exact same words. The helicopter hit the ground heading roughly north near the parked line of 'rescue' helicopters having checked most of its rate of descent and I expected it to just grind to a halt, instead of which it erupted in a ball of flame. Tragically both occupants lost their lives as a result of this.

BOAC
20th Jul 2012, 07:07
Geezers of Nazareth/G-KEST - read post 22? It happened as the Reds ran in to commence. I believe the pilot did not replace his seat pin after the display, and he stepped on the handle as he climbed out, firing the seat.

Jay Dee @ table 1
20th Jul 2012, 08:43
G-KEST and dixi188 Check PMs

Old-Duffer
21st Jul 2012, 05:40
Good morning Kim,

Flt Lt Peter Spellar 28 was a member of 1 Sqn and and was flying Meteor F4 serial VT146 at RAF Tangmere.

His aircraft collided with Meteor VT243 being flown by Pilot III D C Harpham and lost its tail unit. The other aircraft returned safely to base.

A Pilot III was a strange beast and was part of a rank system introduced post war for non-commissioned aircrew personnel. This comprised the grades: Cadet, IV, III, II, I and Master with the prefix (except for Master where it was a suffix) relating to the aircrew trade eg Navigator IV, Gunner II etc. Badges of rank comprised a wreath with a number of stars and were worn on the upper sleeves. The idea was very unpopular and it was dropped in the 1951 Trade Structure, leaving just Master Aircrew as the equivalent of a warrant officer, with their distinctive badge.

As to further information about your father, you could try the 1 Sqn Association, The Tangmere Association as well as getting a copy of the Form 1180 Accident card from the RAF Museum's Dept of Research and Information Services (DORIS). You could also obtain your father's Record of Service, which will give you a good idea about what he did etc throughout his service. I shall be at DORIS this coming Thursday, if you want me to copy the Form 1180.

Old Duffer

chevvron
22nd Jul 2012, 02:23
By the way, the 'gear up' landing by the Saab 105 at Farnborough mentioned by Dixi88 was '72 not '74; I remember as this was the only Farnborough I didn't go to between '62 and 2006, the last 17 of these I had to attend as I worked there! At the 1970 show, I witnessed Pee Wee Judge losing his life in the Wallis gyrocopter, and the next one I went to was the '74 one I mentioned earlier.
Honey Monster - who arrived at Farnborough several years before me - told me the Saab 105's pilot realised he hadn't lowered the gear just before he touched down and selected it down, but it didn't have time to cycle before the ominous scraping noise began. When they lifted the aircraft with a crane, the gear dropped down by gravity and locked!
Honey Monster was at Farnborough when the Breguet Atlantique crashed on the RAE canteen in 1968 after an asymmetric flypast, resulting in severe limitations on asymmetric displays (ie they were banned).

eagle 86
22nd Jul 2012, 03:35
Two from downunder. Late '50's RAAF aerobatic team the Red Sales - based at CFS East Sale - practicing for show season completed a box four loop and flew into the ground - No 4 in the box almost made it.
Late '50's again formation of FAA Sea Venoms performing over Sydney Harbour for Navy week. Four hit three during, I think, a vertical manouvre - three flew back to Nowra with damaged fin and rudder - four ejected over harbour, and according to the media, after steering the aircraft clear of suburbia. I met the pilot years later and he said "Bullsh1te it wasn't flying and I was leaving!".
GAGS
E86

603DX
22nd Jul 2012, 14:45
The 1948 Mosquito crash in Kent occurred at the Battle of Britain display at RAF Manston, on 18th September 1948. The aircraft was performing low level aerobatics when the pilot lost control and it struck the ground at the edge of the airfield, hitting traffic arriving for the show. Ten members of the public were killed, plus the pilot and navigator.

ASN Aircraft accident 18-SEP-1948 de Havilland Mosquito FB.Mk.VI TE808 (http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=73646)

Wyvernfan
23rd Jul 2012, 07:58
Post #8
"VICTOR CRASH????

Internet extract without any substantiation! True or False?
B(I)8 & Gainsey Ref the 543 Victor, 543 were being presented with their Colours, by, I believe, Princess Anne. Anyway they had a parade on the lazy, where also were lined up their Victors. The culmination of this was to be a rapid start and scramble of one of the said a/c. followed by a flypast. Sod's law came into play and the prime went **** up, the crew, minus I think the Nav Rad, who was to get some pics for the Captain, ran to the standby, started and taxied . He did a wonderful take off (min fuel) airborne well before the intersection and pulled into a tight r.h climbing turn, intending to line up on 27 for a max rate climb, but he was unable to pull onto the centreline due to speed & not letting out far enough so he called going around for another try. He came over us going like the proverbial bat out of hell, and in at least 50 to 60 deg bank, got to the far side of the airfield and the tailplane departed, the rest is history, apart from the fact that I got hauled in to do the first night's guard at the crash site. Incidently, The Daily Mirror was the only paper to get a photo of the take off and initial climbing turn, and it headlined it's next day's edition "Death of a Giant" with said pic on the front page".

Not sure if its the same incident, but i know a Victor came down near Wyton back in 75 i think, after disintegrating during a high speed run for some special occasion.
And if i remember correctly Anglia Television were there filming too!

Rob

longer ron
23rd Jul 2012, 08:36
29 Jun 66
XM716
Victor SR2
543 Sqn
Near Warboys Airfield

Broke up in high speed low level turn. The aircraft, the first SR2 to enter service with the squadron, was being demonstrated to the Press. The evidence suggests that it was overstressed in the turn and broke up over the old airfield at Warboys.

Squadron Leader John Anthony HOLLAND Captain
Flying Officer Harry WALSH Co Pilot
Flight Lieutenant Royston Arthur NORMAN Navigator
Flight Lieutenant Kenneth SMITH Air Electronics Officer

from this old thread

http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/234875-victor-accidents-ground-flying.html

rgds LR

bonajet
23rd Jul 2012, 10:07
The 1975 accident was the Buccaneer collision with the tanker. Whilst I know nothing about the accident, the one you're probably referring to was in 1966 when XM716 lost its tail near Wyton.

barit1
23rd Jul 2012, 14:45
There were at least two Stearman accidents - one during practice near Rockford Illinois (Rolly Cole 1963), and one at Valparaiso Indiana (Bill Adams 1966?) which involved the R-985 crankshaft breaking, allowing the prop to tear off most of the wing structure on one side.

In the latter case, and probably the former too, a triple snap roll was performed - brutal on man and machine. The poor P&W engineers must have never envisioned such gyro loads on their hardware.

Grantlee Kieza
26th Jul 2012, 13:32
Hello everyone
I thought you might be interested in this excerpt from my book about Bert Hinkler and the Grosvenor Cup

* One of the most important races for British flyers became the Grosvenor Cup held for the first time at Lympne on 25 June 1923. It was a handicap event for British-built aeroplanes of not more than 150 horsepower contested over a course of 650 kilometres.
Bert lodged with his friends Henry and Maggie Staines, who had a bungalow named Ingleside next to the Lympne airfield, and whenever he wanted to take off he just climbed over the back fence and strolled out to his machine. He was a big hit with all the kids of the village and those who flocked to the air meets, and he let them take turns listening to his new whiz-bang radio through special devices he called ‘earphones’.
Nine pilots took off for the inaugural Grosvenor Cup race with the favourite being the newly married Major Ernest Leslie Foot in a Bristol Monoplane with a 100-horsepower Lucifer engine. Bert fancied his chances in the Avro Baby registered G-EAUM and was the first to take off at 10 a.m. By the time the planes arrived before a crowd of 25,000 enjoying a carnival atmosphere at Bristol’s Filton aerodrome, RAF ace Flight Lieutenant Walter ‘Scruffy’ Longton was in the lead on a Sopwith Gnu, but Bert was just six minutes behind. When Major Foot landed after them at Bristol he said he felt dizzy from petrol fumes, and mechanics got busy repairing the leak. In the end Longton held on to win the race with Fred Raynham second and Bert third.
In a stark understatement, the local paper later reported that a good day’s sport was rather ruined when Major Foot was burned to death. He had covered 480 kilometres when his machine crashed onto Stonehill Road near Chertsey between Bristol and Croydon. Both his legs had been torn off at the thigh, and he was burnt beyond recognition.

Old-Duffer
29th Jul 2012, 10:42
MikeW,

If you are still monitoring this Thread, please pm me - the message I am trying to send you keeps bouncing back.

Old Duffer

harrier1127
14th Aug 2015, 12:01
I was stood by the side of the aircraft as the seat went off

Quietplease
14th Aug 2015, 20:39
G-KEST

I was at a RAF day at Waterbeach when about 12-13 years old, ie about 1953. I had cycled there from Cambridge to see the show. 4 Meteors were doing a formation display. I think they were in a box when the rear two collided. This may be one of the incidents in your list.

The accident has been engraved on my memory all my life. I was standing, as it turned out, close to the mother of one of the pilots in the formation, although of course no-one knew until later which of them were involved. I remember one aircraft losing its tail end, and both crashing on the field and burning, with at least one parachute appearing to go into one of the fires.

My mother still has, I think, a dated cutting from the local paper which I could copy and send, although not until I next visit her, which would be in the next 2-3 weeks.

Afterthought: I'm losing confidence in the date of 1953...could have been well before that. I've just remembered that we moved from Cambridge well before then!
Just came across this revived thread.
I too had cycled from Cambridge and have exactly the same enduring memory. It all seemed to happen in slow motion. Seem to remember the survivor was up in the station flight Harvard whilst the wreckage was still smoldering.

Stanwell
16th Aug 2015, 11:20
This wasn't a fatal or even a bent aircraft - but it very well could have been for someone..

A Richmond RAAF base airshow (1990,if I remember correctly) and a Piper Pawnee was on short finals after having towed a glider up for a display.
I thought, hmm, he's a bit keen to land on the piano keys, considering he's got the tow-line dangling.

Well, as he came across the perimeter road where there were hundreds of people making their way to the entrance gate, the end of the tow-line was only a few feet above the ground.

It didn't actually hit anybody but he took out the 3000 volt powerlines bordering the road.
This caused a bit of a fireworks display amongst the throng.

What's that saying about frightening the women and horses?

barit1
18th Aug 2015, 15:04
No aircraft directly involved, but a mid-air between two jumpers.

Army skydiver dies after airshow accident - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/16/us/skydiver-death/)

Sgt Corey Hood is from West Chester, OH. a suburb of Cincinnati.

Danny C
4th Apr 2019, 20:27
My Grandfather was just telling me about the Seafire crash in Beaulieu. The pilot, R H Palmer, used to teach Drummond Fife Band to his ATC (1308 Sqd ATC) group in Lymington. He was watching the Air show that day and was just telling me that he may be the only person who remembers it. He has never forgotten it (He is 90 this year) and can never find any info on it. I found him some info about the incident. If anyone wants his (grandfather’s) details, feel free to message me. I can relay what he just told me...
” Palmer took off, then landed and they announced over the tannoy system that he had ‘booster problems’ and that he would go out again. He took off again and as he was performing a low roll, coming from Lymington direction, he rolled upside down and then just dropped, cockpit side first, into the ground.”
“ I remember being in the Guardhouse before the show and Palmer drove in in his Austin Seven convertible and I saluted him”

PapaDolmio
15th Apr 2019, 17:00
Mildenhall had at least two...

Vjntage Pair and a Frecce G91 around 1978.

Alconbury RF4C at Brawdy

Duxford seems to have got more than its fair share over the years.

treadigraph
15th Apr 2019, 19:20
Three at Mildenhall, T-34C in 1983.

PapaDolmio
16th Apr 2019, 05:05
Three at Mildenhall, T-34C in 1983.
Forgot that one- must have been a year I didn't go.

JEM60
16th Apr 2019, 09:02
I remember the T.34C well. First of 9 Airshow crashes I have witnessed, most with the inevitable result. Despite only being a lowly PPL at the time, I had attended quite a few Airshows, and I was less than impressed with the T.34C's display. I remarked to my friend next to me that 'I bet the guy in the back is having kittens in there!' Ten seconds later, he killed them both.

Fareastdriver
16th Apr 2019, 15:29
During an Empire Air Day in Aldergrove in 1948 or 49 a Tiger Moth was doing a solo aerobatic display. He was a bit low for the loop and he only managed 90% of it.

The impact wasn't that hard and he waded out of the wreckage. Later on the remains were put on a trailer and towed around the spectators enclosure so that they could see what a crashed aeroplane looked like.

jindabyne
20th Apr 2019, 10:15
G-KEST

May I offer these 'off the top of my head':

1952 - John Derry's DH110 broke up at the Farnborough airshow 1952 - 31 killed. UK' worst airshow disaster
1962 - Fg Off Blackgrove dived into the ground at RAF Khormaksar - Aden Forces Day, Hunter FGA9
1968 - Farnborough Airshow - Breguet Atlantic crashed into airfield hangar complex
1983 - Air Training Corps/Recruiting Event flypast at Scarborough c1984. RAF lightning crashed into the bay after loss of control in tight turn. I assisted the local police with beach clearance and recovery of the deceased pilot
1984 - Farborough Airshow - Bill Loverseed (ex Red Arrows leader) crashed, spectacularly, on the runway after a tight finals turn
1993 - Two Russian Mig 29s collided over the airfield - both pilots ejected and landed near the Red Arrows line. Both came into the BAe hospitality suite about 20 minutes later - calm as cucumbers.
1999 - Paris Airshow. Russian Su 30 failed to pull out after a 'spiral' manoeuvre - clipped his rear end on the airfield and ejected safely.

I witnessed the last five of these.

BEagle
21st Apr 2019, 15:23
The weekend before the Fairford Mig 29 collision, I'd been at Hradec Kralove in the Czech Republic with a VC10K3 on static display at their air show. Which included the same pair of MiGs. "That looks bloody sporting", we thought of their display - and promptly christened them 'The Dangerous Brothers' after the Rik Mayall and Ade Edmondson comedy duo...

Apart from the near miss of the Typhoon at RIAT in 2005, the only other near accidents I've witnessed at air shows were a CF-18 at the Abbotsford Air Show on a very hot day in August 1987 which missed the ground by not very much (20 ft I heard later) pulling out of a loop and an F-111 at the last Alconbury air show in 1993 which came steaming in at high speed with wings full swept, turned hard and went into serious wing rock. I was chatting with a Tornado mate at the time and we both said "Did you just see what I saw?" - we thought he was about to depart. The next day he came in much the same, except with the wings rather less swept.

Then there was a B-1B at Griffiss AFB in July 1988 - it came in low and fast and pulled up into an impressive vertical manoeuvre... Rather too impressive as it turned out, I later chatted with their crew chief, a real old-time SAC character, who merely said "Young asshole overstressed my jet - we'll be here for days!"....

So fortunately no fatals, but a few rather tense moments!

wub
21st Apr 2019, 16:41
I witnessed and filmed the Fairford and Paris incidents, luckily with no fatalities but saw the Starfighter crash at Yeovilton. These things leave you with a sick feeling in your stomach. In the background on my Paris tape, a voice can be heard saying “Did he just hit the ground? Bu@@er, my kit is on that” It was the marketing guy from BAE Systems who had just installed an IN system or some such.

atb1943
21st May 2019, 09:04
I witnessed and filmed the Fairford and Paris incidents, luckily with no fatalities but saw the Starfighter crash at Yeovilton. These things leave you with a sick feeling in your stomach. In the background on my Paris tape, a voice can be heard saying “Did he just hit the ground? Bu@@er, my kit is on that” It was the marketing guy from BAE Systems who had just installed an IN system or some such.
In his initial thread query, g-kest mentions the two Spitfires that collided (over Fleet Hants) and which I witnessed. I don't believe they were connected with an air show, rather an inter-service goodies vs baddies. But I stand to be corrected.
A few I might mention are Le Bourget, the Tu-144, the Mig-29, the A-10 and I believe hearing about a Fiat G-91 a few years earlier, told me by an ex usaf chap who was on duty at the time and who had just vacated the area it came down in.
I might also mention a Canadian F-104 at Frankfurt, one of four, one without tip tanks, that had problems, wanted to return, but came down near the football stadium, wiping out a vicar and his family in their car. And a Harrier near Aschaffenburg (of which I also have a slide but little detail).

Not forgetting the loss of Stephen Piercey and his Flight pilot friend at Hannover whilst on a photo shoot with a Beech (1900?), and a little-known incident also at Hannover of a certain Shrike Commander pilot trying out his same skills in a Sabreliner and finding it not quite suitable...the result of which I also have as a photo somewhere. I knew the owner, or let us say the person in whose name the aircraft was registered, and am still in contact with one of his co-pilots.
best regards

treadigraph
21st May 2019, 09:21
Steve Piercy was flying with Cliff Barnett. Hoover's issue with the German Sabreliner was an undercarriage problem I believe, though whether he had indulged in a little Tennessee Waltzing before hand I know not.

KelvinD
21st May 2019, 09:59
One I witnessed was as a 7 year old at an air display at Hooton Park in 1954. I remember there was some sort of simulated ground attack display going on; a small brick building had been built in the middle of the grassed area and a group of Meteors were attacking this. It was impressive at first, then I began to suspect some of the flashes and bangs may have been coming from pre-planted explosives being detonated by someone on the ground. Then, one of the Meteors came in in a steep dive and flew straight into the ground. I remember well the fire and the huge pall of smoke coming up and the next thing was my father taking my hand and saying "Come along son, we are going home now".
Sad.

golfbananajam
21st May 2019, 10:14
Your memory fading Barry, I thought you were there

Keep well

Ian.

sunnybunny
21st May 2019, 15:03
The one I saw was at coventry airport with a Lindberg replica aircraft, sadly the pilot died.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=188870

Planemike
21st May 2019, 19:04
Two I can recall from Biggin Hill Air Fair days....
1964 May 09 G-ANHO Auster 5. Crashed on take off. Remember the a/c burst into flames. Seem to recall the pilot survived. Reading a report apparently there was one fatality.
1965 May 15 G-AROZ SV-4B Stampe Can't remember if the a/c was taking part in the display. Wreckage fell close to where the Auster had ended up the year previous. Again I think the pilot survived. Just been looking on the 'net, pilot was reported to be no less than Neil Williams !!

1996 Sept 01 G-BLTG WAR Replica Sea Fury. The a/c had attended the PFA Strut fly-in at Crossland Moor airfield near Huddersfield. The a/c crashed on take off. The pilot died of his injuries.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5422fec0e5274a13170009e1/dft_avsafety_pdf_500567.pdf

treadigraph
21st May 2019, 19:32
G-AROZ was Neil William's famous crash behind a hangar off a wayward flick roll - he dodged that bullet and the next, the folding-wing Zlin at Hullavington.

Planemike
21st May 2019, 19:35
G-AROZ was Neil William's famous crash behind a hangar off a wayward flick roll - he dodged that bullet and the next, the folding-wing Zlin at Hullavington.

Remember the accident well..........but never realised it was "the late, great NW".....!!!
Apparently the other "late, great".........John Blake was commentating. G-AROZ's flying career ended at the Biggin Hill Air Show on 15 May 1965 when John Blake, as commentator, was said to have commented "... and Neil Williams has taken it behind the hangar and left it there!"

bill fly
20th Jun 2019, 19:53
Remember the accident well..........but never realised it was "the late, great NW".....!!!
Apparently the other "late, great".........John Blake was commentating. G-AROZ's flying career ended at the Biggin Hill Air Show on 15 May 1965 when John Blake, as commentator, was said to have commented "... and Neil Williams has taken it behind the hangar and left it there!"

Mike could that be the John Blake who was my instructor at Church Fenton and later four ship JP display pilot?

DaveReidUK
20th Jun 2019, 20:31
Mike could that be the John Blake who was my instructor at Church Fenton and later four ship JP display pilot?

No, different John Blake.

Jcp5152
24th Jul 2022, 12:51
Farnborough Saab 105

I think this was 1974.

I saw this happen.

The Saab 105 did a "touch and go" over the top and in front of the Viggen that was lined up for take off. The Viggen took off while the 105 did a loop.

On coming out of the loop the pilot forgot to extend the gear and the 105 landed on its belly. It stayed wings level until it stopped and then tipped onto one wingtip.

The aircraft was removed with a crane and Queen Mary and the runway was re opened within 15 mins, while the Viggen did an extended display.

My father was at the show the following day and the Saab 105 was flying again with the announcer telling the crowd what had happened and what a good aircraft it was.

Hope this helps.

I too saw this happen, I was preparing a helicopter installation for a flight trial the week after the Air Show and was working out our one of the Black Hangers by the Control Tower.

The SAAB 105G was recovered into the hanger I was working in. The aircraft was broken in two around the middle, all the rivets were sheared and the two halves were held together by the cables and plumbing. I don’t know what aircraft flew the next day, but it certainly wasn’t the accident aircraft which left The hanger on a truck.