PDA

View Full Version : After school - moving to South Africa

ZSCHR
4th Jan 2008, 15:32
good eve mates,
I'd like to ask you somethin'.

My plan is to move to South Africa after school and to visit a flight school for my ATPL there (or even in Germany).
So I'd like to ask which possibilities I have.
I'm citizen of the Federal Republic of Germany and I know that I have to be SA citizen to become pilot of SAA, so I had to marry a South African chick or to work and live in SA for around 5 years...
Because of this I'm looking for alternative ways, flight schools and job possibilities (Nationwide, Comair, etc) after finishing flight school.

Thanks for your help
cu

Chris

4th Jan 2008, 15:36
You really have your mind set on South Africa? Whats wrong with Lufthansa, Condor, German Wings, Air Berlin, WDL, Hapag Lloyd, Augsburg Airways, Cirrus and all the other carriers in the federal republic?

ZSCHR
4th Jan 2008, 15:47
Germany is boring:rolleyes:
I want to live my life in Africa
I'm speaking German, Afrikaans, English and a bit Spanish

rockpecker
4th Jan 2008, 16:06
Hi ZSCHR, check your PM

Yes, move to SA, do you PPL/CPL/ATP here, then go fly in Namibia for a year to build hours fast, then back here for charters and contracts and bigger planes, and eventually you can approach the airlines hopefully. And maybe even find the chick you're looking for, who knows! Good luck
:ok:

thincatblue
4th Jan 2008, 16:11
I suppose that having to live behind 7 foot walls, worrying about the safety of your loved ones every time you sign on for a flight, dodging lawless taxi drivers that flout every rule on the road, having the highest rape and murder stats in the world - if you can call that exiting, well then ZS - South Africa is for you - did I mention that the goverment is riddled with corrupt officials and that there is a potential to go the "Kenyian route" with a rift appearing between Jacob Zuma (zulu) and Thabo Mbeki (xhosa) - I would caution a re-think!

rockpecker
4th Jan 2008, 16:19
thincatblue

Life, by its very nature, is risky. South Africa is no different, sure it has issues, but the advantages still far outnumber the downsides. As for incumbent leaderships, :mad: will eventually take care of that. Showers can only clean that much, hahaha.
Cheer up. Its still the best place in the world.

ZSCHR
4th Jan 2008, 16:30
@Rockpeter
Thank you

@Thincatblue
My daddy says the same every day:)

thincatblue
5th Jan 2008, 13:30
rockpecker - the nature of my business is to minimize risks ( I fly for a living) - the stats are factual, the incidence of crime undeniable. Yes life is risky where ever you go , I believe that people wanting to come to SA should be aware of the HUGE increase in potetial harm - eg greatest risk!

It IS a great country with potential, probably on of the best in the world, unfortunately one that is not beiing realized by the politicians and directives flowing from the leading political party. ZS is abviously free to do as he/she pleases, I would choose a life style change over the one I lead now in SA. Different strokes for different folks- I am considering not only my own interest but that of my family and my children's future.

This is Africa and ( my view) - we are heading down the Kenya and Zimbabwe routs - I hope history will prove me wrong, but I would rather return one day with an appology than to be rearanging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

ZS - not quite sure what you are getting at with your "dad" reply?

George Tower
5th Jan 2008, 14:10
ZS,

Interesting thread this could turn out to be that you start.

Like you am a relatively recent settler(from UK) in SA, as you will no doubt be aware the migration is mainly the other way these days, unless of course you are Zimbabwean:E or Nigerian:suspect:

I'm not sure if you have ever been to SA before - but if you haven't it is well worth coming here to at least do your PPL. I'd certainly suggest doing a PPL and building up some hours and whilst you're doing that you will get a feel for the country. The PPL and hours will stilll be useful should you wish to go the JAR route later on.

Lets make no bones about it SA has a lot of problems that we don't have in the UK or Germany BUT it has a beauty and a lifestyle (3-metre walls included) that exceeds anything Europe has to offer. If you have Africa in your blood there is ultimately nothing you can do about it.

Best regards

GT

rewfly
5th Jan 2008, 16:59
My son is currently a freshman in college and has wide dreams of studying abroad in JoBurg. He has his PPL right now and is working on his instrument, he has been glued to the idea of living and flying in SA and wants to study abroad aviation there and hopefully plans to get a internship somewhere. Can anyone give us some advice? Thanks

ZSCHR
5th Jan 2008, 18:16
George - Thank you.
Yes I was in Cape Town one year ago and will fly again to Cape Town the next weeks (Jumpseat flights)
I think I have Africa in my blood:) and I know the problems of SA.
I'm doing now my PPL-C to beguile the time until leaving school (3 years now).
So I have time to think about it and time to plan everything.

George Tower
6th Jan 2008, 10:28
ZS,

Your last post make you sound incredibly naive and not very genuine - perhaps I'll leave it to you to decipher what in your last post makes me conclude that.

rewfly,

My advice to you is to learn how to use the search function of prune:ok:

Asrian
6th Jan 2008, 11:37
If You fulfill the initial requirements I would try the Lufthansa assessment in any case...even if only a few come through and get accepted. If You'll be among the lucky few You'll have the golden ticket to flight training...

6th Jan 2008, 13:43
Lufthansa wants to recruit/train 160 or so pilots in the next two years......