PDA

View Full Version : IDE-USB Drive connector

BOAC
4th Jan 2008, 10:20
Next one for the experts!

I connect this and XP SP2 sees the drive (76GB NTFS). I had to pop it in the case to format it, incidentally, as the USB link would not allow a format.

I can copy small files to it fine. If I try to back up a large folder it disappears from Disk Manager and Explorer. I am trying to use it as a long-term back-up. Is there a cure, please?

Background Noise
4th Jan 2008, 10:56
That's odd - I've just plugged mine in (same OS) and it allows formatting. Just copied a 360MB file.

BOAC
4th Jan 2008, 11:00
That's made me feel REALLY good:). I suspect yours may be of a better quality than mine. The mx I got on format was 'Windows cannot format this device' and it dropped out of sight at the same time. I have tried it as Master and Slave with no difference.

Keef
4th Jan 2008, 22:54
USB connection should work just fine. I've formatted and done all kinds of stuff that way. It's how I back up.

Is it, perchance, a Maxtor drive?

What information do you get if you go to Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disk Management and point to it?
Ditto when it's "not visible"?

Does the "Status" tell you anything about it?

Saab Dastard
4th Jan 2008, 23:56
Is this an old drive that you bought an empty USB caddy to hold?

Does the caddy have a separate power supply? Or does it rely purely on USB power?

It is the single biggest problem I have had with USB hard disks. I have one 2.5" caddy that works fine on some laptops, but that needs an extra power supply (cable from the mouse port) on others. Symptoms were similar to what you describe.

I have also had a similar problem using a USB disk attached to a Netgear wifi router. It was "supposed" to make the disk available to share both locally and over the internet, but it never worked properly. The disk is fine (LaCie 1/2 terabyte - sounds better than 500GB!!), but the router was crap. Replaced with a Linksys, and the disk just attached permanently to my PC.

SD

stickyb
5th Jan 2008, 09:49
1) Confirm that you are using USB 2
2) confirm that nothing else is on the same USB root. (might get better results with rear connectors than front)
3) confirm that power to the drive enclosure is ok
4) Switch off write caching in XP

and let us know the results!

BOAC
5th Jan 2008, 14:15
Thanks all: In sequence:-

Keef - now how did you know it was a Maxtor? The bane of my life. Several (documented here) disk failures over the years. Not sure ALL know, but despite the reseller giving a 12 month guarantee, Maxtor (used to, anyway) give 5 years. This one is one of the free replacements and was sitting idle on the 'puter.

Damn thing just goes from 76GB'ish NTFS 'drive xx' to not there and no status.

Saab - yes, separate power. I connect IDE then power then USB to desktop.

stickyb - USB2 but sole occupant of FRONT conector. Will try the rear one. power is ok and write c off.

Standby a while.

Still comes on line as 'Basic'/'Online'/Healthy' and then disappears after a minute or two.

stickyb
8th Jan 2008, 15:00
What else do you have connected by USB? Printer? Modem? Try disconnecting everything else

It sounds like the drive is dropping out of ready state, which is usually caused by bad power or overheating in the usb box, or by the usb connection failing, which is either dodgy hub, low power hub or connection overload.

Have you checked the event logs?

BOAC
8th Jan 2008, 15:40
Drive was connected on main USB 2 ports at front (and rear) Also have USB printer (off) and bus powered 4 port USB2 hub on other rear socket. Would that be enough to cause power problems? Drive has mains adaptor power supply.

Keef has intrigued me with the query about Maxtor..............................:confused:

Will check event logs.

It just 'dies' whenever I try a large write to it. I can copy a small text file ok, but time seems to be a function. Event 51 and 57 so no clues there?

green granite
9th Jan 2008, 07:27
If you just want it as a back up why not leave it installed in the m/c and use it as a slave? It's safer that way in so much that it wont get knocked and damaged.

BOAC
9th Jan 2008, 07:41
IDE's are full. 4 with DVDROM.

Saab Dastard
9th Jan 2008, 12:03
BOAC,

This getting to be a "how much is your time worth" scenario! :}

How much time are you willing to spend (and what's your time worth - what else could - or should - you be doing?) for an ageing 76GB drive in a dodgy USB caddy that you could replace for £50 with a 500GB unit!

I use this rule of thumb at work a LOT - if it costs £X to buy, but a multiple of £X in hourly cost to have someone fix it, just go and buy it! Of course, it is never my money involved. :ok:

SD

BOAC
9th Jan 2008, 16:48
Quite agree, SD!:). Would appreciate a PM with a link to the £50 500GB drive - that makes sense and beats anything else I have looked at.

Keef
9th Jan 2008, 20:51
Why did I think it might be a Maxtor? <sigh>. Guess :(

Been there, got the furrows in the brow. I went out and bought an Iomega USB2 external 300GB drive. I had nothing but problems, and couldn't understand it till I opened it up. Maxtor inside. The caddy was by Iomega, though.

There's a Cat 5 cable from my study to the attic (behind the bookcase so nobody can see it). Up in the attic there's a prehistoric PC whose sole purpose is backup. For that, it works well.

BOAC
9th Jan 2008, 21:06
I guessed as much, Keef:).

On SD's prodding I have ordered a 500GB USB external drive and PRAY (NB Keef:)) it does not contain a Maxtor...............

BOAC
19th Jan 2008, 19:39
Phew! Samsung drive. After much fiddle/faddling I got it formatted NTFS ( yes, xxx, it DOES need to be plugged into the rear ports AND I appear to need to disconnect a bus-powered 4-port USB hub for it to stay on line) and in the nick of time as YET ANOTHER MAXTOR drive is dying on me. Fortunately the 'spare' 80 GB from the last MAXTOR warranty return was idle and is now formatted/partitioned/cloned and in place instead of. A close thing as 'S**ityLink' screwed up the delivery (again) and it arrived 3 days late.

Good bit of kit - thanks for the gentle 'nudge' SD:)

3 year old MAXTOR drive will be going back to Seagate (who now own Maxtor) for warranty replacement. Hopefully the quality will improve under the new owners.