PDA

View Full Version : SAS feeder loses big in Finland

md80forum
5th Oct 1999, 12:57
After only one year under full Scandinavian SAS ownership, Finnish Air Botnia loses big and gives up numerous destinations in Finland, effective 01NOV.

The airline operated ex-Brit Air SF340's and ex-SAS F28's to feed SAS and Lufthansa in Helsinki, but is now redrawing its whole network to feed the alliance through Stockholm instead.

The airline withdraws entirely from eastern Finland and will concentrate on western regional centers in Finland like Oulu, Vaasa and Turku. A new F28 op Turku-CPH will start 01NOV.

The autonomous Aland isles between Finland and Sweden are also offered a service to Stockholm by Air Botnia. It was cancelled by state-controlled Finnair due to low factors in early 90's. The short hop to Stockholm-Arlanda has since been operated twice daily by a Bandeirante owned by the local Landsskapsstyrelsen government, but their pilots have been offered new jobs with Air Botnia.

In Finland, Finnair, now a partner of Oneworld, will apparently keep its monopoly status in this remote corner of Europe for many years to come.

Jan-Erik Andelin
MD80 INTERNATIONAL FORUM, Helsinki http://surf.to/md80

[This message has been edited by md80forum (edited 05 October 1999).]

JJflyer
6th Oct 1999, 08:21
To say the least I am not really surprised about that developement.
Is Air Botnia still expanding ? or have they reached their limit within Finland?
What about their pilot hiring ?

JJ

polar bear
6th Oct 1999, 09:57
I wonder how they are going to make the MHQ-ARN leg profitable, if Finnair did not manage to do so? After all the amount of passengers to/from Aaland is only so large...

Personally I think it is just a way for SAS to kick dirt in Finnair's eyes, giving them some crap for using ARN as a hub, stealing SAS pax...

Time will tell how far they get. Anyhow, competition is good, it tends to keep the prices and the passengers are happy!

polar bear

JJflyer
6th Oct 1999, 15:46
I completely agree Polar Bear... Finnair has been very succesfull in Arlanda. And that probably upsets SAS.

JJ

[This message has been edited by JJflyer (edited 08 October 1999).]