PDA

View Full Version : your opinion about the VLJ Eclipse 500?

warmkiter
3rd Jan 2008, 22:01
Good day

I would like to hear an opinion from the Biz jet Pros about the VLJ Eclipse 500

Some of my friends are looking forward to buy a VLJ and we were testflying this aircraft in ABQ. I made my thoughts about it, but what are yours?

If someone has flown the aircraft, would be nice to hear what did you think about it.

Also operational aspects, maintenance, initial training, how to stay recurrent, insurance, costefficiency etc are themes of interest.

There is so much written in the WWW about Eclipse. Most of these opinions are about the company, finances, comparing this plane to a much bigger full size Biz jet and so on. Very little is written about the aircraft itself and how it does the job. Transporting 2-3 persons from A - B.

I dont want to start a discussion about all the issues which concern the company building the plane. Please keep focussed on the aircraft itself.. or start a new thread..

thanks a lot

Lars

blablablafly
4th Jan 2008, 09:41
If you want to fly the aircraft in Europe start looking at alternatives... I think it will be years before it is EASA certified. :hmm:

warmkiter
4th Jan 2008, 10:24
why do you think it will not be aproved in EU?

check taxijet in barcelona, they started allready to fly it

http://www.taxijet.es/es/prensa/primer-vuelo-de-un-very-light-jet-en-espana.html

cheers

Fossy
4th Jan 2008, 10:37
If you would have checked the registration, you would have notified that it's a FAA registered one. Actually looks like a demonstrator aircraft. However, it's not a question on which register the aircraft will be, if it's private operated, it could fly also in Europe

pfnotflying
4th Jan 2008, 12:22
The idea of the mentor look only a way to take you extra money.
About the slot in London can you explain it?? what is the differance btw an eclipse and a golobal??

Stassiebal
4th Jan 2008, 14:00
"check taxijet in barcelona, they started allready to fly it"
Not quite.... that aircraft in the video is actually ours. ;-)
Happy to share more info..... send your e-mail and we can chat.
United's been dropped as training provider, now being done by Eclipse themselves in conjunction with Higher Power Aviation.
6 monthly recurrent mandatory at the moment.... only available at ABQ. First simulators should be certified (already installed, up and running) shortly.
Difference between an Eclipse and a Global - 46 000lbs or so..... more profit in the Global for most any airfield I would imagine. :}:}
447lbs for 1.01h flight pretty much spot on.... though you'd struggle to get that without an unrestricted climb to altitude. (at high speed cruise setting of course) - 550/600 more likely.
Transporting 2-3 people from A-B.... as long as B is not very far away.... very little comes close to this machine.
FL380 at 370ktas and burning 470lbs/hour........ not too shabby!
Stassiebal

pfnotflying
4th Jan 2008, 14:03
I know that as I fly regulary out of LTN. But I can't see how it effect the eclipse operation.

blablablafly
6th Jan 2008, 19:40
Problem they aircraft has is on getting certified fully on flight into known icing... ie it is a VFR aircraft at the moment... The onboard space is VERY small, more like a 2 pilots and 2 pax and one suitcase... and the type training with United is gone out of the window.. Other than that great airplane :hmm:

And warmkiter: never believe what is written, specially not by PR guys or worse: websites of newstarts without airplanes ;)

warmkiter
8th Jan 2008, 08:57
hi

sounds like there is a lot of false information going around about the Eclipse 500.

i think its a point to point mover. anybody who operates it into hubs does it as last alternative. so it wont be a regular customer in EDDF:) egelsbach sounds better...

i have to say i was suprised how big the cabin was. thought it is going to be like a B60 or similar, but its way bigger. actually the luggage space is enought for a lot more than only one bag.

i would say it gives a more comfortable to ride than a mercedes S class or a BMW 7 series and has about the same volume for luggage as in a limousine trunk. assuming you have 2 crew and 3 pax.
if the 4. seat is in use, it gets a bit cramped.

how can the spanish company operate commercial, if it is N registred? i think its an airtaxi company, so they need a EU registered aircraft.

this discussion follows pretty much the same path than in various other forums. a lot is written about the company, less about the plane.

to my information the avio ng is IFR and RNAV aproved by FAA. the deicing is on the way, maybe this winter is over in europe before they get it fixed:) so they get another 6 months to work on it...

looking for more comments from you guys...

thanks

lars