PDA

View Full Version : B2 License: What options are open to me?

wiveny
3rd Jan 2008, 20:52
Hi All,

Bear with me as I'm new to this forum!

My situation is simple really:
35 YO British male, married, young family, big mortgage and dead end job!!
I'm Ex RAF (served 12 years as a propulsion technician), left in 2002. I hold a SEP(L) PPL Licence and <100hrs P1.
My dilema is that I would like to get back into engineering and I get the feeling that as a minimum I need to spend 2 years in full time study at either Bristol or Norwich University only to come out and earn 21K (that's if I can get a job!).
Are there any folk out there that have done or are currently thinking about changing their careers? I would appreciate some pointers as to which training establishments are good and which ones should be avoided?

Many thanks

ericferret
3rd Jan 2008, 23:09
As an ex propulsion mech (i'm assuming aircraft) it would probably be quicker to go B1 then convert to B2..

doppleganger
4th Jan 2008, 07:41
Hi wiveny

As an ex RAF guy, there is no reason why you cannot self study the modules. Many of your old colleagues have done so before you. You will need to make some time in your busy home life and get some support and understanding from your family, but with your background you should clear all the modules in 2-years.

There is lots of support for self studiers now, with the likes of websites like club66pro.co.uk and airtechbooks.com, give them a trial and see how you get on with your first module (with your piloting experience you should find module 8 - aerodynamics, for example, a doddle).

Only problem is, if you are not in aircraft maintenance right now, you may have a problem proving your experience. It's a chicken and egg situation. You will get some dispensation if you can prove your RAF experience, on application to the CAA.

Good luck