PDA

View Full Version : Does night really follow day?

Dick Smith
2nd Jan 2008, 22:16
Following a challenge on another thread, I hereby make the following statements.

First of all, I believe there is evidence to show that the sun rises in the east, that night follows day, and that the amount of money spent on air safety is limited by what those who pay for this can afford.

Does anyone have any comments on these statements?

Scurvy.D.Dog
2nd Jan 2008, 22:34
Happy New Year Dick :hmm:the sun rises in the east … on earth it does! that night follows day …. yes, same as day follows night!
All agreed ... as they are absolutes that cost nothing and cannot be changed unless you are some sort of immortal :ooh: :suspect:and that the amount of money spent on air safety is limited by what those who pay for this can afford. …. well now that depends on who pays, how much and how it is levied … doesn’t it?
Is it the same argument as the amount of money spent on roads, hospitals, ambulance, fire, police, power, communications, public institutions such as the body politik, ASIS, ASIO, ACCC et al ? :E
…. I very much look forward to your advice!!! :yuk:
….. did I mention …… HAPPY NEW YEAR MJ !!!

Torqueman
2nd Jan 2008, 22:36
Dick Really!

I think you may have been flying around in the clouds to long....it's depriving your brain of oxygen.

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
2nd Jan 2008, 22:54
Although, with the transition of Governement services from the big Federal kitty to the "We can't manage our huge federal budget, therefore user pays and sell Telstra" ethos came into play.

You would see a possible huge reduction in $AUD PA to provide these services on this basis, then isn't it fair to say that air safety is quantitively less than before ?, is it really ?, is they sky to fall in as predicted ?.

Showa Cho
2nd Jan 2008, 22:57
I think the Restaurant at the end of the Universe would be a bit annoyed if indeed things just kept going. False advertising? :)

Spaghetti Monster
2nd Jan 2008, 23:15
I think that the concept of night following day has been around since before the 1950's and is therefore outdated. It should be changed to something that would be more convenient to me. All those who disagree are simply being resistant to change and would never be successful if they actually had to run their own business. :)

Dick Smith
2nd Jan 2008, 23:15
Scurvy, I can assure you that the truism does not depend on “who pays”.

I’ll say it again as it is pretty simple. The amount of money spent on air safety is limited by what those who pay for this can afford.

Scurvy, do you understand this? It is the actual people who pay what they can afford under the circumstances. If it is the individual passenger who pays, it is what that passenger can afford. If it is society as a whole, it is what society as a whole can afford.

The point I consistently make is that air safety is not different to anything else in this world. Just as night follows day, the amount of money that can be spent is always limited.

Scurvy.D.Dog
2nd Jan 2008, 23:29
… no Dick, what you fail to understand is that services are/should be determined on acceptable risk criteria (irrespective of cost) ….. how those services deemed required are paid for is a separate argument! … you know it, everyone else knows it, why do you try to use costs to force a result at the other end of the argument?? … I think we all know that answer too!
LSP for GA … 1996 ….. Pay our own way, have our own say :yuk:
Cheerio!! … or should that be Poodle Tip!!! :p :E

Looking
2nd Jan 2008, 23:34
I believe there is evidence to show that the sun rises in the east, that night follows day, and that the amount of money spent on air safety is limited by what those who pay for this can afford.

Mr Smith,

Juxtaposing such solid truths in nature against your opinion on safety is really quite ingenious. Well done.

Money can improve safety as in improved maintenance and training, newer aircraft, more facilities eg radar etc; however, unlike the reliability of the sun rising and the setting, people are imperfect and will make mistakes. A good safety culture costs very little. It's all about sensible, rational and logical decision making.

Having said that, Imagine a user pays safety system on the roads. Just imagine what would happen if you had to put 20c in a box at the pedestrian crossing to make the lights change to increase your chances of surviving a road crossing! :confused:

Safe flying! :)

peuce
2nd Jan 2008, 23:37
Dick,

You said: "The amount of money spent on air safety is limited by what those who pay for this can afford."

Okay, the test of your statement is ... say we said we can't afford Air Traffic Control ... would the Government agree to get rid of it?

There has to be someone who determines ... despite what they say, can they REALLY afford it?

There also has to be someone who determines ... who are they?

2dotsright
3rd Jan 2008, 00:34
I'm sorry but saying the sun always rises in the East is not really correct anyway. If flying East above about 60 degrees North in Summer I have seen the sun rise due North, set again and then rise again in the East so things aren't always as they are supposed to be and not so cut and dried. Same happens flying West in Winter except it will set due South and all I had to drink was tea and coffee

mjbow2
3rd Jan 2008, 00:36
Hahaha...

Thanks Scurvy. D Dog (and others), You just made me $100.

But I tell you what, I will add this $100 you just made me to the $1000 dollars I have said I will donate to a program to send controllers to the US for education/ training on NAS.

MJ

telephonenumber
3rd Jan 2008, 00:49
Hypothesis proved. Thank you all.