PDA

View Full Version : Flying Bangladesh

toolonggone
2nd Jan 2008, 15:55
Been tasked with flying to Dhaka (DAC) in Bangladesh at the end of January for a few days. Just wanting to get some info on handling services, hotels, places to go/see?Also anyone have any previous experience of flying into/out of DAC?All info/help much appreciated.DK

Cubs2jets
3rd Jan 2008, 03:01
Been a couple of years since I've been there (last 2003) but...

We (Execujet nee Avcon) used SRC Aviation out of Dheli for handling. It was expensive, but we never had an issue - even last minute changes.

There's not much choice of 4 star hotels (there are NO 5 star) in Dhaka. We stayed at the Pan Pacific Sonargaon which I think was the best they have. It is a small compound with several resturants and some shops and a pool. Remember it is an Islamic country but alcohol is served in the hotel.

After going there about 6 times a year for 3 years, we finally met some ex-pat pilots and found that there were a few other resturants, but I don't remember the names and the pilots have gone home.

Call me boring, but I can't think of much of anything to see or do in Dhaka.

The ride from the airport to the hotel is about 30 min. Keep the windows up. The beggers can be startling if you haven't been to that part of the world.

Don't know what you're flying and where your next destination is after Dhaka, but catering is a real challenge. This was about the most problematic in all of Asia.

Take a good book. I feel for you.

Cubs2jets

toolonggone
3rd Jan 2008, 11:25
Cheers, flying Legacy there and then back via DXB, so worst case should be able to organise there. Any other advice from anybody else would be gratefully appreciated!TlG