PDA

View Full Version : Clarification about ADSL use

vancouv
2nd Jan 2008, 14:17
I have a laptop that uses a wireless router to access the internet. If I take my laptop to a friends house who also has wireless, I presume I can access that and then use his broadband?

If, however, my friend does not have wireless, can I plug my laptop ADSL modem into his phone line, configure a network connection using my ISP details, and use my broadband signon? Or is there a link between my home phone number and my ISP details that would prevent this?

I've never fully understood the connection bewteen the broadband phone line and the ISP you use.

frostbite
2nd Jan 2008, 14:26
There will certainly be a link between the phone number and the ISP permitting usage but since you are using your friends line I can't see a problem as you will be connecting through his ISP.

airborne_artist
2nd Jan 2008, 14:43
can I plug my laptop ADSL modem into his phone line, configure a network connection using my ISP details, and use my broadband signon? No

Or is there a link between my home phone number and my ISP details that would prevent this? Yes

Think about it - it;'d be a massive scam - just one person needs an account and the rest of the UK could use their details..:ugh:
Get yr friend an ADSL wireless router - change out of £30.

Saab Dastard
2nd Jan 2008, 14:58
If your friend has NO ADSL, then your only possibility is dial-up! Or you could buy a 3G card (if in an enabled area).

If your friend has already got ADSL, but no means of sharing the connection (i.e. his computer is linked directly to the ADSL modem), then you have 2 choices.

One is to bring a hub or router in between the ADSL modem and his computer and share the connection (either wired or wireless), assuming that the existing equipment can support this (e.g. not a USB-only connection).

Or you could plug YOUR computer into his ADSL modem and run through the setup routine to HIS ISP.

A variation on the first would be to leave the existing computer connected to the ADSL modem, with an additional hub / switch connection to provide a separate network for ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). This is one way around the USB ADSL connection.

SD

vancouv
2nd Jan 2008, 14:58
Think about it - it;'d be a massive scam

All you need to do is prevent duplicate signon and only one person can access it at a time.