PDA

View Full Version : FA Yulia Fomina killed in hijacking.

flapsforty
19th Mar 2001, 11:50
Russian flight attendant Yulia Fomina, 27, swung one of the doors open when Saudi forces stormed the hijacked aircraft. It apparently cost her her life.

Sadness at the murder of a colleague. Anger at the criminals who took her life. Admiration for her bravery in trying to assist the rescue of the passengers under her care.
And wondering; would I have been brave enough to do the same?

Yulia, rest in peace.

HugMonster
19th Mar 2001, 13:57
That's something a lot of people wonder about, Flaps. And it's something we never find out until in that situation.

The best we can do for her (and for ourselves) is to ensure there is some means of reminding people that she died because of her dedication to her job, trying to protect the safety of those whose safety was her responsibility.

I don't know if the Russians do that sort of thing, but in the West I would have suggested naming an aircraft in her honour.

slj
19th Mar 2001, 19:10
Interesting question as to what the Saudi's will do to the 2 captured hijackers.

Seems that it was murder on their soil

Stephen John

Desk Driver
19th Mar 2001, 22:12
It's a cliche but Beyond the Call of Duty of any Aircrew on any Airline. What she did was a total selfless act only thinking of others!
God forbid that I or you ever have to find out if we are that brave.

Desk Driver
20th Mar 2001, 19:33
It saddens me to report,but I think you should know. According to Reuters it now appears she may have been shot by one of the Saudi troops there to rescue her.

Clear IT IN!
13th Apr 2001, 21:13
I agree with the other comments
Any member of crew who sacrifices there own life in the line of duty is a total hero....R.I.P Yulia.