PDA

View Full Version : Central Scotland Airport

Donkey497
1st Jan 2008, 18:54
Folks, back some twenty or thirty years ago a pile of work was done to look at closing both Glasgow and Edinburgh. The proposals on the table at the time were to re-open the original central scotland airport in Grangemouth which was closed after WW2 or to build a large airport, similar in size (I believe) to Heathrow which would be sited either on the carse land between Grangemouth, Falkirk, Plean & Stirling & connected to the two major cities by means of the M9 to Edinburgh and the M80/M8 to Glasgow. Alternatively, there was a proposal to build the new airport up on the moss-land south and west of Slamannan, connected to the two cities largely by means of a new feeder road to the M8 around Bathgate / Whitburn.

Does anyone know I could get any more details of this proposal and the eventual reasons for their abandonment.

Thanks in advance.

XH175
1st Jan 2008, 20:00
Hi,

The proposal to re-open the airfield would have been a non starter.

In the 50/60s the east of the main runway became built over by the BP/BXL/ICI chemical complex. To the West it became the park and the Dundas estate. The Dundas Primary School was built slap bang on the cross runway. The old terminal and hangars was occupied by Smith Transport.

Regards
Ross

renfrew
1st Jan 2008, 20:16
This was proposed several times over the years but was always a non starter.
The West of Scotland had absolutely no interest in sharing an airport with Edinburgh and where would the money have come from anyway?

DB6
1st Jan 2008, 21:32
Try this: http://www.davidhumeinstitute.com/DHI%20Website/Airports%20Study/csa%20study.pdf

KeMac
6th Jan 2008, 12:07
As Renfrew says this is a subject that has cropped up on more than one occasion over the years. In the early 70s, it was examined in some detail during the public inquiry into the building of the new runway and terminal at Edinburgh but was rejected. The David Hume paper on the subject is quite interesting and I had not seen it before. Another source for information would be the files/minutes relating to the public inquiry which occupied a large trolley when I looked at them in the, then, Scottish Office in Edinburgh in 1976. Two years ago I tried to track them down again but I have been informed that they have been -ahem - 'misplaced'