PDA

View Full Version : Different medical standards

knowwhat
1st Jan 2008, 17:33
Dear all

I have a question concerning medical standards for a pilot

As we all know, different countries have their own medical standards for their pilots. As there are differences in term of each medical standards, there might have situations that certain health conditions are acceptable in a particular medical standards but not others. For example, CASA is ok for a person with visual acuity of 6/9 with one eye and 6/6 with both eyes to apply for class 1 medical certificate, while FAA's class 1 medical standard is required not only the said requirement but also the difference between each eye can not be exceeded +2.00 (if I remember correctly)

Here is my question, under this scenario, if a pilot wannabee of australia whose medical fitness can only fulfil to apply for class 1 medical certificate in australia but not the america's, what implication does a pilot wannabee of australia have? does it mean he can fly to america?

Thanks for your help in answering my enquiries

pilotincommand
3rd Jan 2008, 18:23
You can fly anywhere in a VH-registered aircraft with an Australian medical and licence.

The FAA requirements might seem tough on paper but there is a provision called Special Issuance in the United States that the FAA tend to apply fairly liberally.

knowwhat
5th Jan 2008, 13:30
pilotincommand

thanks for your input. from what you have written, my understanding is it shouldnt have any problem associates with flying to other countries where the medical standards' are more stringent provided I have got the casa class 1 medical certificate.

Here is another concern in regards to the medical standard issue. I wonder if phyical fitness is one of the considersation factors when it comes to promotion? Since the conditions of my eye sight is bad, so even if i got an offer, i wonder would my future career development would be affected because of that.

My last question is concerning my current medical conditions.

The detail of my visual acuity is as follow:

Left eye: +375 Astigmatism : +3.00 6/9 with correction (cant reach 6/6)
Right eye: -.75 Astigmatism: 0.00 6/6 with or without correction

Base on the above information, am i not eligible to become a pilot? All input is appreciated. esp those are familiar with the airlines' practice e.g dragonAir, Air macau etc.

Many thanks

pilotincommand
5th Jan 2008, 13:47
If your eyes are stable and you have a Class 1, I don't see that it would affect your job prospects but I don't know about the hiring practices of airlines in Hong Kong.

The levels of presbyopia that you describe are not excessive but I really don't know what view they would take about not being able to correct to 6/6. You're best bet is to speak to a medical examiner based in the country you are going to fly in.

knowwhat
5th Jan 2008, 15:56
pilotincommand

thanks for your answer on my equiries

knowwhat
7th Jan 2008, 02:48
any other inputs are highly appreciated

:ok: