PDA

View Full Version : Where now?

Birky
1st Jan 2008, 17:00
Dear All,

Your advice sought really...I recently got my UK CPL/ME plus ATPLs and am about to finish the ME/IR in Jan 2008. Roughly 200 hrs of which about 15 will be MEP plus 35 hrs in the DA42 sim. I am age 43 so am not a exactly whipper snapper, nor necessarily an ancient old fart either.

I'm a pretty together guy most of the time, lots of life experience, generally good CRM skills and seem to be able to fly reasonably well and learn stuff quickly. I'm also happy to relocate more or less anywhere as long as it's affordable.

In descending order, my priorities probably look like this:

Earn enough to live and pay the monthly bills
Start to pay back the £50k plus interest this all cost (within the 17-23 years I hope to hang on to my medical)
Enjoy a new career, travel the world and meet interesting people

Problem is, I'm not exactly sure where to concentrate my job-hunting efforts in 2008's circumstances. Of course I'd love a job on a fat shiny jet but I know how tough that would be to get at my age.

What would you try aiming at if you were 43? Instructing? Turboprops? Air taxis? Corporate? Cargo? Ryanair? Bus driving? Would you risk borrowing even more to get a type rating? If so, which type and under what circumstances?

Any ideas most welcome!

Birky :ok:

portsharbourflyer
1st Jan 2008, 17:38
If you are going to do down the SSTR route, then the ATR rating with Skyblue seems to have good track record.
Otherwise: for Air taxi and Corporate work you are going to need more hours; so I would recommend instructing for a year full time. In general instructing is flight pay only however there are some places now offering reasonable retainers and salaries so you should be able to get about 18000 a year for instructing (not great money but you can survive on it).
I recommend full time instructing as I found that as a part time instructor I never got noticed; however after 9 months of full time instructing several interview offers emerged.
Also for air taxi and corporate work you age may actually be an advantage (presenting a mature image to the customer).

crap pilot
1st Jan 2008, 18:23
I agree with portsharbourflyer. I did 6 months instructing which gave me enough hours for air taxi which I am doing now. If you had 700 hours TT then you would get air taxi work without any problem as most air taxi companies need pilots. In my company, most pilots dont stay for more than 12 months before moving on to a jet so you could work your way up within 1-2 years.

Birky
2nd Jan 2008, 12:35
Thanks guys, appreciate the advice.

RodJET
11th Jan 2008, 17:51
Wait...dont pay for a TR without a Job.....check Aviators Trading ARC. They check your resume and find a job for you....as far as I know, you may do the TR after having signed a contract with a employer.

But they are the best option I think.

I used them and everything worked out. They know the market better than I do...and they know if you have a chance or not.

Hope I could help...
and good luck!!!!!!!:ok::ok:

Bearing 123
14th Jan 2008, 09:50
Master Chief,

The guy is 43 and your 17. Not everybody on here is lucky enough to be at an age to even think about sponsership. Good luck with it though:ok:

My advice is the same as the others above. Go down the instructors route and get yourself 700 ish TT and then the air taxi guys will be very interested in talking to you. Also air taxi is an excellent background for making the transition to corporate flying.

Well done on passing and good luck.

Desk-pilot
14th Jan 2008, 10:31
Another option - DO apply to Flybe, Southwest etc. I know (as an employee at the ripe old age of 38 that Flybe don't discriminate against older guys). We've plenty of F/O's flying around who are mid life career changers and I am thoroughly enjoying it. The money isn't bad for a first job either and you can reasonably expect to take home £1800 per month year 1.

Congratulations on qualifying and the very best of luck.

Kind regards,

Desk-pilot