PDA

View Full Version : Cabin crew ---> Pilot?

Georgina Stokes
30th Nov 2000, 17:08
Hi!
I am currently studying for my A-Levels at college. My ambition is to become a pilot, but am considering working as a flight attendant whilst I apply for sponsorship etc... I am really keen to work cabin crew or a year or two, primarily to travel and to meet new and interesting people etc along the way.
I currently work as a waitress in a restaurant part-time (which I really enjoy!), so I have experience of customer service (and good practice at being diplomatic!!) :)
What I am keen to find out is... Do many flight attendants progress on to become pilots? Is it a good idea to gain experience through working as cabin crew for a while or not? What do airlines look for in potential cabin crew?
Any information, advice and opinions would be gratefully recieved!!
Thanks,

George. ;)

[This message has been edited by Georgina Stokes (edited 30 November 2000).]

PaulDeGearup
30th Nov 2000, 18:51
"to meet new and interesting people etc along the way" ?

Ok so why do you want to meet pilots then :) :):

Seriously, there are one or two but it's a struggle financially unless you can get some from of sponsorship. The quickest way is to do an approved course but that costs; check whether or not you can get some assistance by the way of a grant for vocational training. That would bring the cost down to around 18 - 20K which equates roughly to what you could expect your debt to be if you have a student loan. Additionally, if you have a degree it's a backup should you fail. Finally, don't do anything until you have a Class 1 medical. Good Luck.

Georgina Stokes
30th Nov 2000, 18:59
Thanks for your reply... (I don't doubt that you are a fun and interesting person!!)
I have considered the route you have suggested...Its just a big decision to make, oweing to financial reasons etc!
Anyway, thanks again.

George. :)

Next Generation PSR
1st Dec 2000, 04:59
I think you are probably better off trying to pursue a flying career 'up front' by any other means than flying as cabin crew.

It's pretty much frowned upon unfortunately, and airlines are more interested in people working in the cabin who are interested in serving the customers at the back of the aircraft. Certainly in any airline's cabin crew complement you will usually be so busy down the back, you will see little of what goes on up front, apart from the odd empty leg where you may get the chance to ride jumpseat.

Also bear in mind, although it may be considered as a means to an end for you - or a 'foot in the door', there are people who would genuinely want to fly and work as cabin crew for bonafide reasons, and it would be a shame if someone who really wanted the job didn't get in as the job had already been given to someone as a 'stepping stone' in their career.

Seriously I think you would be better off keeping a job which paid more than cabin crew whilst building up your hours.

Good luck, and please don't take my words to harshly, but at the end of the day people who work as cabin crew should genuinely be interested in that position.

[This message has been edited by Next Generation PSR (edited 01 December 2000).]

Evacu8
1st Dec 2000, 05:11
I would think it would be a pretty hard task becomming a pilot from being a cabin crew... the physical differences, the financial aspect would be hard, convincing tyhe company that you'd be perfect as a flight attendant, then trying to convince them you'd be perfect as a pilot...... oh and then having to have your personality surgically removed would be a bit tough too !! ;)

AMEX
1st Dec 2000, 05:29
Last year BA ran an internal recruitment programme for staff holding a F/ATPL. Some of them were cabin crew, some engineers (hi V!) so it is possible but not exactly common in the UK. In France some of my mate have worked as cabin crew while doing their ATPLs and got hired by that same company. Some companies encourage internal promotion while some don't plus it also depends with the job market. Anyway cabin crew is fun and I don't regret doing it although I am now leaving for a pilot job. By the way if really meant to experience the cabin crew life and thoroughly enjoyed it so I don't actually think I deprived anyone from anything. I have done many jobs and this one certainly comes at the top of the list so if you fancy it then give it a go and you will learn about the other side of flying for an airline. Good luck!!

------------------
If you can't save the engine...save the airframe :)

Tomb Raider
1st Dec 2000, 06:55
Georgina,
Go for it,I have known several cabin crew progress from "back To front". Some took the job whilst waiting for a course,and others paid for their own flying.The ones that funded themselves tended to build their hours up in the States(It's less expensive there).Thus a cabin Crew job helped in this respect.(id 90's and such with a scheduled carrier).....If only I'd worked harder at school,I'd like to be making a decision similar to yours!!

Norman Goering
1st Dec 2000, 16:13
Sorry to contradict NG PSR, but I worked for almost 4 years as cabin crew before becoming a pilot and from day one, everybody (Flt deck and cabin crew) were incredibly surpportive. It was also a help once I began my ab initio course. A background in aviation helps and if you're seeking sponsorship, it shows how kean you are. I do agree it's not brilliantly paid but you need to weigh up the options for yourself.

It is worth the effort in my own experience. I now fly for a major regional airline with alot of my previous assosciates which is also a plus. There are also 3 others in my airline who have done the same thing. 2 male, 1 female, as well as a couple of others who have left for other airlines. Some were sponsered, some were self-funded.

E-mail if I can help further.

Next Gen. PSR - who exactly frowns upon the cabin crew route? As for taking another's place, not at all. I was 100% dedicated to my job as cabin crew as realistically I knew my flying opportunities were limited. "Stepping Stone"? Does that mean you'll NEVER leave your current employer?

AMEX - Hear, Hear!

[This message has been edited by Norman Goering (edited 01 December 2000).]

Fast Jet Wannabe
1st Dec 2000, 23:32
Next Generation PSR,

What a load of rubbish.

I hope to work as cabin crew for a while before continuing my education, and eventually becoming a pilot. If I/George/Anyone applies to an airline and gets accepted as cabin crew, it's because the airline wanted US for the job - not the other person who may want to be cabin crew for their full career.

And for your information, it is not "pretty much frowned upon" - and yes, I am speaking from experience.

If you have the ability to fly an aeroplane, and also the ability to be cabin crew, why shouldn't you use one to get into the other.

Should a low hour CPL not work as a flight instructor until s/he can build enough hours to get his/her first airline job? It would seem not, as that would be using one as a "steping stone" to the other.

If you are, as your name suggests, a purser, should you have taken that promotion? Aren't there many others who are still junior cabin crew that would have wanted that job?

I know George, and I know she is an excellent pilot. However, I also know her great personality, and what an excellent cabin crew she'd make for those first few years.

Go for it George!

Secret Squirrel
2nd Dec 2000, 21:30
Next Gen PSR, I second Fast Jet's "What a load of rubbish". In case you haven't noticed it's a dog-eat-dog world out there. If George makes the grade in pursuit of another goal and ousts a carreer F/A then it's a shame but she should look after No1. Besides, how many people actually do the job as a carreer?, very few!

It's not a route I would recommend but you are sure to learn a lot by doing it. More importantly you will appreciate the hard work done by those behind you when you move up front.

------------------
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam up my clothes!

Bubbette
3rd Dec 2000, 19:35
There is a whole bulletin board, do a search, just for cabin crew where all these questions will be answered.

Next Generation PSR
4th Dec 2000, 04:22
Ok guys and girls, let's calm down and have a little bit of clarification as to my position here, before it turns into another thread of slagging someone just because they voice an opinion.

Firstly I genuinely do wish Georgina all the luck in pursuing a career on the flight deck.

I personally have no problem with anyone who like NORMAN GOERING gave the job 100%, and if GEORGINA does manage to find a job at the fun end of the aircraft, I trust that if she is as determined to fly, she will also do a fine job at the back.

For the record I once had a PPL which has lapsed, and before anyone leaps in and calls me a frustrated pilot - It was my own choice not to pursue it any further, believe it or not, I've always wanted to fly as cabin crew and although I share an active interest, knowledge and respect for you ladies and gents up front, I never wanted to become a commercial pilot, a PPL was just potential fun for me.

As for changing company, that's irrelevant, it's the career path and the effort towards that particular job which counts, whoever one works for.

From my experience in the past, most people who I have flown with in the past, senior to me have been sceptical about new recruits that voice the fact that they are flying as cabin crew to 'fill in' before obtaining a pilots job. From my experience 90% of the time such juniors have used every opportunity to get the other side of the flight deck door, sadly sometimes to the detriment of the cabin service being provided at the back.

It is my past experience over the last 15yrs or so which has led me to form an opinion, and I do get frustrated trying to form people into good cabin crew and provide good customer service if their mind is more focused on what goes on forward of the flight deck door over what happens down the back. I'd personally rather be working with people who genuinely want to fly as, and perfect themselves as cabin crew - and therefore would prefer to do the job for more than just a season or two.

I have no problem with anyone displaying an interest with what goes on with the flight deck providing the timing is appropriate i.e break in service, empty sector take off/landing - for which the latter I encourage, it is good CRM after all.

Once again GEORGINA, the very best of luck, and I hope the rest of you now know where I'm coming from more clearly.

I value my right to voice an opinion (formed out of experience), as much as I respect the right for everyone else to voice theirs.

Happy flying to one and all ;)

Georgina Stokes
4th Dec 2000, 14:53
Thanks everybody!!

:)

I value and appreciate all of your comments and advice. Next Gen. PSR, I accept the points you have made and value your opinions and words of wisdom! I post messages/questions on the pprune message boards because I seek the honest opinions of professionals, who have more knowledge and expertise than myself. I realise that I may not always recieve comments that I want to hear, but I appreciate your honesty. Thanks for your time...

FJW!!! How are you? I hope you are well, i will e-mail you soon... Have you completed your PPL yet?

Anyway, thanks again,

George. :)

[This message has been edited by Georgina Stokes (edited 05 December 2000).]