PDA

View Full Version : Boeing Speedtape.

Aranmore
1st Jan 2008, 12:20
Could someone please give me a reference/link to detailed information on the 767/757 speedtape. My company has retrofitted them, whilst supplying very little information!
Many Thanks.

oceancrosser
1st Jan 2008, 14:03
Er, um how about your Boeing 757/767 FCOM?

Spooky 2
1st Jan 2008, 14:50
I think Oceancrosser is right. Everthing you need to know is in the FCOMs. Ther are numerous articles availble when you do a Google search but for the most part, the Boeing Ops manual, Vol. 2, along with the FCTM should have everything covered.

oncenterline
1st Jan 2008, 21:10
This might be interesting:
http://www.smartcockpit.com/pdf/plane/boeing/B767/instructor/0010/
It's just some basic information, but maybe it helps a little bit.

frontlefthamster
2nd Jan 2008, 04:59
We are talking about the sticky silver stuff that you put on cuts and bumps, aren't we??? :ouch:

Aranmore
2nd Jan 2008, 06:23
Gentlemen.
Thank you for your help. I'm afraid that neither the FCOM, Vol. 2 not the Boeing FCTM contain any detailed information on the subject.
Does anyone have access to the engineering manuals, or a link to them?
Thanks.

Ivan aromer
2nd Jan 2008, 08:18
The FCOMs give you all you need to know to operate the aircraft correctly. It may take a bit of finding but it is all there. The other info (ie nice to know) should come through experience, talking to the training dept, sims etc. Speeds tapes are not rocket science, so I dont really think there should be a problem with the average chap/ess transitioning. Dont worry!

esreverlluf
2nd Jan 2008, 09:23
There's still a big ASI there that's not going to disappear. Just look at it - the same way you have been for however long you've been on type.

My airline retrofitted the speec tape about 6 or 7 years ago - I'm still only vaguely aware that it is there.

Spanner Turner
2nd Jan 2008, 09:45
Aranmore,

If you must know the ins and outs of the speedtape, PM me with a e-mail address and i can send you some info on all the pretty symbols and colours.

:ok:

spaceman18
2nd Jan 2008, 10:40
I think Aranmore is right to ask for some info. We all know theres alot more info on the speedtape than just your airspeed, and to say that you've been flying with speedtape for 6-7 years and are only vaguely aware of it just staggers me......maybe if you knew what it can tell you then you might consider dragging your eyes across to it every so often.

britannia66
4th Jan 2008, 13:05
Aranmore's is a very valid question, which no-one has answered! None of the references given contain information of any depth.
Someone out there must have information or a link...............
We all really should know more about it!

Spooky 2
4th Jan 2008, 22:38
What more do you need to know than what's published in the Boeing Vol. 2 Ops manual along with the Boeing FCTM? I'm not trying to be smart here but just simply wondering what is missing. I do think there is a difference between a speed tape in a PIP/Pegasus equipped airplane and one with a standard, classic if you will FMS, but I'll be darned if I know the difference.

Loose rivets
5th Jan 2008, 03:21
No, can't say I noticed it for many years either. Dc3s just used erm, rivets.:}

http://www.projectmagenta.com/resources/FlapSpeeds.pdf

Short_Circuit
5th Jan 2008, 04:46
The most important point to remember is;

Tape go up,

Plane come down.

Deathrow558
5th Jan 2008, 04:58
Your office should have at least one hard copy of the MEL's (Minimum Equipment LIsts) for each aircraft type.

RAT 5
5th Jan 2008, 12:22
Aranmore,
What a sad lot of flipent commments to someone asking for help.
Don't get too complicated with engineering manuals. I flew the B757/B767's with a Fast/Slow pointer and ASI. That was quite simple, but I paid more attention to ASI. I then moved to a B767 operator that had a speed tape & ASI. No-one gave me any detailed instruction on how to use speed tape, so I used ASI. They then received a/c with no ASI only Speed tape. Wow, that caused moments of "what am I looking at now?" So my mate the chief TC took me in the sim for 30 mins and the clouds of wonder and confusion drifted away. The lights shone brightly. I now fly B738 and think the speed tape is a dream. I follow the example set by my old mate and do the same for my students. They also didn't gather fully all the information in the books or the CBT videos. A few moments in the cockpit or detailed instrcution in a brieifng room with the photos and a good SFI is what you need, not more books.