PDA

View Full Version : MEL to LAX depture at 40 deg C

Guptar
1st Jan 2008, 05:46
Question for the QF drivers.

How are the Lax bound flights out of Melbourne coping wih the 40 deg temps at Melbourne over the last few days.

are you still able to depart at max weight or coping large payload restrictions, dont know why the airport planners only gave melbourne 16 3500m.

I guess engine out just after V1 would be intereresting performance wise.

The Messiah
1st Jan 2008, 05:51
Why would it be interesting? The aeroplane is certified and there is no terrain. Short runways don't limit the amount of thrust the operating engines can develop.

Chimbu chuckles
1st Jan 2008, 06:28
But 40 degree heat does especially if combined with low QNH (below about 998mbs).

Combine that with limited ASDA and things getting interesting really quick.

In the ME summer you get temps like 38C on the ground, 45C at 1000' and 996mbs for months on end...and that is at 0200LT:uhoh: Even DXBs long runways become limiting in those circumstances.

At least with 12-13000' of runway you can use 'improved climb' (Vr overspeed), full rated thrust and a lower (400' aal) acceleration ht and still get max structural TOW usually...bleeds off if you're still short of performance...but suffer an engine failure after V1 and you'd know you were alive:ok:

The Messiah
1st Jan 2008, 06:48
Sorry but with terrain not a factor a -400 on 3 engines even at 40 deg aint a problem. Off 30R at DXB or 16 in MEL in 40 deg and 1005hPa and nil wind your max RTOW is 376 tonnes so you'd be even better off.

But getting back to the question yeah you would probably be payload limited going to LA from MEL but an engine failure shouldn't be anymore interesting than usual, especially given you are probably 20t under max structural.

Buster Hyman
1st Jan 2008, 09:18
Ahh, this thread takes me back....

Continental DC10-30's MEL-HNL. Had the very same problem. They even scheduled the flight for a 2100 departure to alleviate the summer performance issues. Many a flight we were counting the infants & kids through the gate to get the extra pounds for a pallet!

Good days...:ok: