PDA

View Full Version : ATC recruting/training

Ultralights
1st Jan 2008, 03:51
after 16 yrs in the aircraft fixing engineering game, its time for a change..
i have been considering submitting an application to airservices Aust for ATC training... so the usual round of question,
what to expect?, apart from the glossy writing in the pdf's and website,
what attributes are they looking for? and what traps to look out for?
you get my drift....

a little background info to answer the obvious, i am out of a mortgage, so relocating is not a problem, i own 2 of my own aircraft and have held a PPL for 16 yrs. education level is ok, ( i was considering going back to UNI to get out of the aviation game altogether, but as they say, flying is in the blood)
age is early 30's.

thanks in advance for informative replies.

Howard Hughes
1st Jan 2008, 04:47
Ask Buster...;)

ForkTailedDrKiller
1st Jan 2008, 07:15
Ultralights, given the shortage of LAMEs in Australia, why would you consider abandoning that honourable trade? That business appears to be booming - my LAME is booked out for the next 6 months - can't get help for love or money.

Dr :8

OZBUSDRIVER
1st Jan 2008, 07:33
Ultralights, you are in your early thirtys,
Aircraft fixing game for 16 years!
PPL for the same time.
Own two of your own aircraft,
AND have your mortgage paid off?
Why would you want to push tin for fun?
Mate, you are a God. You should right(WRITE..I must be dead!) a book on how you manage your life. You will sell a million.

Ultralights
1st Jan 2008, 08:01
sadly mortgage not paid off, house lost to Lawyers and the Ex. aircraft bought to move money from the grasp of said lawyers and ex.
and to be honest, i am sick of the state of morale in this industry, the writing has been on the wall from some time in aircraft maint in OZ, QF 8 yrs ago, and Military contracts have since lost their gloss.

time for a new challenge...

VH-XXX
1st Jan 2008, 08:09
Owning ultralights doesn't count. Real men drive Lycomings, not 2-stroke rotaxes!

tobzalp
1st Jan 2008, 08:23
Mate if morale and the writing on the wall are issues, ATC is the last place you should go.

Scurvy.D.Dog
2nd Jan 2008, 23:05
Ultra
... check yer PM's :ok:

Ultralights
2nd Jan 2008, 23:23
Thanks for the Pm's its much appreciated and a great help. ill be sending my application off in the very near future.

oh, and give me a modern designed rotax any time over a 60's designed lycombing or continental, i prefer to use 15ltrs and hour as opposed to 35 ltrs an hr any time. not to mention an engine that i can be confident in knowing it will reach its TBO without any dramas.

Cap'n Arrr
3rd Jan 2008, 06:54
Owning ultralights doesn't count. Real men drive Lycomings, not 2-stroke rotaxes!

So Continentals or Pratts aren't "real men" engines?:E