PDA

View Full Version : Considering the future

Captain Nomad
1st Jan 2008, 03:08
Well, it is a new year and that always brings thoughts about one's future...:confused:

Mr Nomad is in his last year of a job contract and is considering the options. With only a couple of visits to Australia coming up this year (one fairly soon) he wants to sniff out the possibilities while down. He already has a few places in mind. Without giving a full CV, by the end of this year will have about 4000hrs, a good amount of turbine, bush, instructing, and C&T time with an ATPL and current CIR, endos etc. Despite having some good multi endo's the multi column is looking under-nourished by Australian standards (less than the magic number). Always tended to stay in one place for a while with a supportive and happy Mrs Nomad who likes the bush. Not on a fast-track to the majors (not interested). Where would you look? Anyone so inclined can PM me if they like and I can possibly add you or your company to my visiting 'hit' list. :)

Sorry if this rubs anyone up the wrong way. Done the long hard yards and am not trying to jump any que. Just trying to develop network options from a distant place. Sorry in advance to anyone who takes offence! :\ Been around PPRUNE long enough to know what happens you see ;)

Looking forward to the replies - should be entertaining if nothing else! :}

aircabbie
1st Jan 2008, 03:25
Check PMS mate :ok:

troppo
1st Jan 2008, 04:04
Mr Nomad,
Hepi nui yia! If you have a supportive missus why don't you stay in png? I would have thought with your experience some doors with good money and equipment will be opening up?

Chimbu chuckles
1st Jan 2008, 04:40
Why not give PX a whirl...best of both worlds...mth on/mth off based Cairns on the -8...bush flying in comfort...a command would only be a year or two at most:ok:

Captain Nomad
1st Jan 2008, 06:12
What a surprise! Such lovely helpful people - is this PPRUNE....?!

Thanks for your replies guys. I guess the staying in PNG option presents some good options and I do have a number of contacts who would be happy to give me a job. Mrs Nomad is thinking about the better medical backup in Australia for having kids and so that is probably why I was thinking more of Aus at the moment plus I guess I do miss the place... I know there are some mobs who come up to PNG regularly too like Regional Pacific so was thinking that I could possibly be of interest to them?

By the way, I seem to be having trouble getting into PM's - just keeps telling me I need to log in which I do and then it asks for a log in again?! Anyone having that trouble?

Captain Nomad
2nd Jan 2008, 00:31
Well the good guys at PPRUNE admin reckon it is a problem with my browser. I have found another round-about way to get into PM's. Thanks to those who have sent me some useful info. Anyone else care to add their 2c?!

Captain Nomad
3rd Jan 2008, 23:27
Anyone got any comments on WW Mt Isa? Hear they have some turbines now. Expensive place to rent - do they provide housing or allowance? This operator doesn't seem to get a mention on here very often which I gather is probably a good sign?! :}

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
3rd Jan 2008, 23:44
WW at Mount Isa is a great company, when i was there they paid the award, no housing assistance, but Mrs Nomad will have no problems finding work.

Rent is expensive, not a bad place to live.

Aerotropics in Cairns is currently advertising, also worth a look.

Captain Nomad
4th Jan 2008, 00:08
Thanks LHRT - check PM's :ok:

Mr. Hat
4th Jan 2008, 02:22
Captain Nomad, these days a lot of people are doing there 500 multi on turbines. Chuck a cv in with the companies that are the city that you want to live and go from there....

tinpis
4th Jan 2008, 02:25
Im curious why you would think The Miser was a step up from PNG ? :confused::uhoh:

Captain Nomad
4th Jan 2008, 02:36
Tinpis - PNG ain't got any better since you left so it probably would be! :}

Thanks guys - I have had a few people intimate I may be setting my sights too low. It really amazes me how much the industry has changed while I have been away... Here's hoping the good times will last until I can make my next move. :ok:

Peter Fanelli
5th Jan 2008, 00:06
Well the good guys at PPRUNE admin

The what? :}:):O:E

Mr.Buzzy
5th Jan 2008, 00:57
Hey Nomad,
I hear Coastwatch are paying close to 100k for a Dash 8 command. A few of their bases could suit your lifestyle too.
You could do a lot worse than day flying out of Cairns, Broome or Darwin!

Good luck:ok:

bbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzz

Ricky Bobby
7th Jan 2008, 22:00
The best of both worlds is available to you!!

If your willing to take a step down to a smaller, slower aircraft you can do tours with a very reputable company. You still get to enjoy the best flying the world has to offer and get home on a regular basis. Their office is just down the road from yours.