PDA

View Full Version : Reinstalling Mac OSX

Binoculars
31st Dec 2007, 14:10
I hope this hasn't been covered before, but given the absurd search restriction of a minimum of four letters, how does one search for anything involving MAC OSX?

The Macbook will be going up for sale on ebay very shortly. It came with 10.4 Tiger installed, which I am led to believe has an "archive and reinstall" function. However since the aim of the reinstall is let the new owner start with a completely new sheet, my instinct is to go with the Erase and Install option.

I realise I will have to install all the software updates that have followed, but that shoudn't be a major problem, assuming the newly installed OS will automatically recognise the wireless network as it did when I first took it out of the box.

Has anybody had any experience with this procedure? Is it straightforward? Any particular tips or advice would be appreciated.

Saab Dastard
31st Dec 2007, 14:51
Regarding searching, it is possible to use Google search within PPRUNE - and have no such restrictions.

See the sticky above...

SD

Binoculars
31st Dec 2007, 15:44
OK, thanks SD.

Nige321
4th Jan 2008, 13:04
Binos

Put the Tiger CD in, open it and double click install.

The Mac will restart, firing up from the CD.

You should then be able to access 'Disk Utility' from the menu bar.

Click on erase and do a 'write 0's' erase from the options - this will be enough to ensure that the average new user will have no access to anything on your disk.

When complete you will have a virgin blank disk to continue the install.

When asked for addresses etc, just type in ***** and leave the password blank.

Regards

N

Binoculars
4th Jan 2008, 14:09
Thanks Nige. I thought I must have been sent to Coventry for the unforgivable crime of deserting Macs for a PC!

Nige321
4th Jan 2008, 14:39
Thanks Nige. I thought I must have been sent to Coventry for the unforgivable crime of deserting Macs for a PC!
Don't do it...:=

MightyGem
9th Jan 2008, 03:00
Resist the call of the dark side.

AppleMacster
11th Jan 2008, 18:04
Resist the call of the dark side.

...regret it, you will.