PDA

View Full Version : Dispatch / Ops career advice please.

Skyseeker
30th Dec 2007, 22:55
Hi

Im interested in a career as a dispatcher / operations controller. Where would i look to find out more info on this?

Do the airlines generally have these departments in house or is it usually out sourced - ie who would i approach to be trained / for vacancies ( based in the south east).

Do you need a licence or can you just join a company and be trained on the job?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance

SS

its all gotta go
31st Dec 2007, 13:19
hi there. as for dispatch/ops control in the south east your best bet is to get with a ground handling agent ie servisair,aviance,swissport and many more depending on what airport you are looking at. youre best bet is start as a dispatcher and then go from there,with the summer program waiting in the wings there is plenty of work for all companys at any airport.
i hope this helps you in your findings and good luck.:ok:

Dash-7 lover
4th Jan 2008, 18:14
Needs no specific qualification but alot of experience. You'd be very luck to start as an ops controller. The more preferred path is though becoming an ops assistant first or starting in crew control as it's the only way to build up knowledge and experience. It would take at least 3-4 months of training to get any understanding in met/flight planning/crewing and flight time limitations/Air Navigation order basics and JAR ops basics and most airlines run their operations using various computer programmes such as RM Rocade etc

Hope this helps

747-436
5th Jan 2008, 18:52
As has been said above you might well need to accept a more junior position, such as an Ops Assistant, before you can become a Controller. Thats what I did and became a controller less then a year later.

Maybe even start of in crewing as that will give a good understanding of Flight Duty Periods etc that are important to know about as an Ops controller.

Most airlines will have seperate Ops and Crewing departments, although where I worked we did both.

The number of Airlines with Ops control has decreased slightly after a number of takeovers where the airline bought out has an Ops department that becomes surplus to requirements, but there are still plenty of jobs going out there.
Some Airlines advertise Ops jobs on their websites but a lot of it is done through a well known Aviation Job Search site (Clue there if you don't know about it already!!). There are always vacancies on there. Maybe try a smaller airline / business jets first if you see nothing from the larger airlines, they are a good way to build up experience as you normally have more involved in the role, such as Ops and crewing combined into the Ops controller job.

veloo maniam
9th Jan 2008, 00:55
Hi all...I would like to know the duties of a ground handler.
What are the services provided by a ground handler.
replies much appreciated.:)