PDA

View Full Version : Oil Analysis

Brabo
30th Dec 2007, 12:20
Can anyone recommend and company who does engine oil analysis here in OZ?

Thanks

heliduck
30th Dec 2007, 20:12
Hastings Deering, the QLD Caterpillar dealer has an oil lab at Archerfield. Give them a ring & ask for Craig Boyden to discuss your needs. Any of the staff could help but Craig is the guru.

jamsquat
31st Dec 2007, 01:27
Pre-paid oil analysis kits are available from AirBp and Shell. Each kit contains a sample container and pre paid express post pack. Just take the sample, write the details on the form and post. In a week or so the results are sent back to you in the mail.

JS:ok:

Sunfish
31st Dec 2007, 02:57
Not much use unless you GRAPH the results week by week or month by month in my opinion, what you are looking for is a sudden change in concentration of iron, aluminium or bearing metal.

Plus a magnet in the sump plug (well clear of the crankshaft) :} or in the oil filter.

At least that was the game in my day.......

jamsquat
31st Dec 2007, 03:15
True sunfish, unless the samples are taken over a period at different oil changes there is not that much point in doing the tests.
If there are visible particles of metal (more than the usual fleck or two) in the filter then it could be time to pull the engine!!!! Magnetic particles dark in color are usually signs of lifter or camshaft deterioration. Shiny silver or brass like partcles could be crankcase or bearing material. Both are signs of adverse wear somewhere in the engine and should be taken seriously.

JS:ok:

Kulwin Park
31st Dec 2007, 05:10
Previously being a technical rep with SMA diesel engines, I would recommend using the South Australian laboratory.

"Laboratory Supervisor"
Repky Paid No. 15
PO Box 338
Torrensville Plaza, SA, 5031

1800-064-243

Or ring Shell Technical Line on 1300-134-205

Brabo
2nd Jan 2008, 01:59
Thanks for you help..

load it, launch it
2nd Jan 2008, 09:46
Don't know which bit of the country you are in but Cavpower in Adelaide do oil sample analysis. (Local CAT dealer)