PDA

View Full Version : The 'Broome' Lifestyle

naild
30th Dec 2007, 11:12
Have a quick question folks. For anyone who has lived in Broome recently!!

I see it is real expensive to live in Broome. Any pointers on reasonable accomodation in Broome? and any pointers on how to reduce the costs while you live there?

;)
Thank you

mostlytossas
30th Dec 2007, 11:36
Thats easy.....To reduce costs sleep on beach and don't eat or drink:):)

multime
30th Dec 2007, 11:57
Find someone who has a house/bungaloo/flat/Duplex/or just a comfy spot in the long grass (time will tell).
Either way it will cost you everything.!!
Unless Mummy @ Daddy are paying for it.
It,s all a ripoff for the experience.
Go to Derby!!!

M:ok:

henli
3rd Jan 2008, 04:24
Dont do derby. Except for the spinny its a bit of a hole. Broome is a top town but you heard right about the expenses. Stay at the Kimberley Klub then get a job. Once you meet some pilots you will get accommodation no worries. Sharing costs $100 (really cheap place) to $200 with an average of about $140p/w. Petrol is 160c/l and food is expensive. Worst of all beer is expensive too (except for one place which i will keep a secret).

nomorecatering
3rd Jan 2008, 09:15
Just looked at Domain and the rental prices are astronomical. $300 a week for a 1 bedroom flat that would get $100 if they're luck elsewhere.

So why isnt there a building boom going on there, Gosh, if I can get $200 a week for similar flats I;ll build 10 of them next week.

the wizard of auz
3rd Jan 2008, 10:02
Actually, its the lack of available, affordable land. there has been submissions to shire to establish mining camp style villages for accommodation, and the shire has rejected the application on the grounds it will look too non permanent, and doesn't fit the image the shire would like to project. the available land is priced at such ridicules prices, that it is both unfordable and impracticable to purchase. the prices of most of the goods and services available in Broome are a blatant rip offs. there is generally no justification to charge what they do other than that they can, and if you don't like it...... go elsewhere. that is also the general attitude there as well.

AerocatS2A
3rd Jan 2008, 11:47
So why isnt there a building boom going on there, Gosh, if I can get $200 a week for similar flats I;ll build 10 of them next week.

Haven't actually been to Broome I take it?

There are houses going up all over the place, just not enough.

There is a tax ruling that allows an employer to lease a house and sublet to the employee taking the rent from your before tax salary (this is specific to Broome as far as I know.) For most of us (who aren't in the next tax bracket) this saves about 30% of the rent. Lobby your employer to set something like this up. Chances are they can use the place for your replacement when you leave for bigger things, so it's not necessarily a big risk for them.