PDA

View Full Version : Maid Salary and Benefits Question

Fred Garvin M.P.
30th Dec 2007, 06:25
Gents,
My wife has finally talked me into getting a live in maid and getting rid of our maid service (in Dubai). Just a few questions in general. I've spoken with a few others with maids and have seen the pay anywhere between 800 Dhms to 1300 Dhms per month. Some provide the food and others make them buy their own food. What do the majority of you guys do? What do you do in regards to health insurance, annual leave, and holiday leave? Thanks.

sec 3
30th Dec 2007, 08:50
Have a look at an EY pilot's contract:} You'll have to make a few improvements before your maid will sign:E

31st Dec 2007, 05:04
Jeez, we were paying our maid 1350 AED a month 11 years ago! can't believe there are still people paying only 800 a month. Probably the same types who knock off a bit every month for the maids visa as well and make her wash the car and do the garden and............
Good to see slave labour is still rife in Dubai!

Che Guevara
31st Dec 2007, 05:39
Yep, they are a pretty sad bunch of people if they think its OK to pay those kinds of wages to these poor unfortunate people in this day and age. No wonder they can never leave the Gulf. Its all about me me me isn't it....reflects pretty poorly on their upbringing.

Ciao

surely not
31st Dec 2007, 05:59
Well if you think that paying 800 Dirhams is being cheapskate, then what description fits those in Bahrain who are paying the live in maids no more than 50-60 BD per month which is around 500-600 Dirhams?

When I expressed incredulity at this pathetically low amount I was told that these maids were 'lucky' as all their food was provided for and if they wanted new clothes or some such the Lady of the house would take them out and buy it for them. Ha! I bet they don't go to Seef Mall for the clothes!!

Plus the maids passport is taken from them 'for safe keeping'.

uplock
31st Dec 2007, 07:35
FRED Provide Visa and sponsor the maid 1000 plus 200 to 300 Food allowance brings it up to 1300 Dhs Let the maid have another 200 to 300 Dhs in essentials when out shopping brings it up to 1500 Dhs for the month.

Maids all seem to have a better network than what is on pprune and are up to speed with what the neighbours are getting.

Fred get your better half to run the show and be firm from the start you can always move the working conditions upwards if you feel the performance warrants. If your a bleeding heart type and tree hugger then you will get taken for a ride big time, the House maids are not as silly as some make out.

scanscanscan
31st Dec 2007, 15:05
They and their boyfriends are also online banking aware...so you could get your several bank accounts in various parts of the world zeroed whilst you are off down route...and not find your flat clean on your return.

whoop.whoop
31st Dec 2007, 18:47
Best to pay in kind :O

Mat Tongkang
31st Dec 2007, 18:57
Years ago MAS pilots signed for a pay revision of 1.5%+RM15; my neighbour's Indon maid had a better payrise!!!;)

ladyflyby
31st Dec 2007, 23:35
The mind boggles; in this day and age, is a maid really necessary?

Cessna1052
1st Jan 2008, 08:06
I got a housemaid a month ago and offered her 1000 dirhams per month with condition of salary increase per year. Food and basic toiletries are inclusive. She gets a day off every Friday too. I also got her a Health card in Iranian Hospital, so she'll get some discount incase of hospitalization.

Try not getting somebody whose been in Dubai for a long time. Get the New comers, at least their attention is to work and earn money, and not into dating and looking for Boyfriends in Satwa or Karama.

Khaosai
3rd Jan 2008, 04:56
Hi,

just looking through the employment agreement for domestic workers and sponsors and noted the following:

The second party shall be paid the monthly salary in full at the end of each month, in addition food and drink.

The second party shall be given one month paid vacation after contract completion. The second party may opt for a salary of one month in lieu of the month vacation, in addition the value of one return ticket to home country.

The first party is obligated to provide treatment and health care for the second party.

2 yr contract. If the contract is renewed and the second party opt for one months vacation then a return ticket to the home country must be provided.

I think i saw a minimum salary figure written somwhere, which was in the region of 1200 Dhs per month.

Rgds.