PDA

View Full Version : Cessna 210 Wheels Up

av8trflying
30th Dec 2007, 03:02
Just for info.

A cessna 210 with 4 POB carried out a wheels up landing at Atherton about 20 minutes ago.

All on board safe. Good skills:ok:

mostlytossas
30th Dec 2007, 03:51
OH! Yaunnnnnnnnnnnn!!!
Never heard of a serious injury yet over a wheels up landing.
Despite the media's usual beatups over such things, lucky to be alive etc,etc.
Sorry but getting cynical in my old age and seen/heard too many of them.

flying-spike
30th Dec 2007, 06:58
I know a bloke in Mt Isa who pulled the gear into position with a tie-down roap after motor/pump died. George held it straight and level while he hung out the door (pax holding onto his belt) and lassoed the dangling leg. No bull or false bravado...that was good skills

Clearedtoreenter
30th Dec 2007, 07:45
Not sure I'd be too keen to save what is at that stage effectively the insurance company's aircraft by hanging out of the door by my belt!

Guess this one is well known by You tubers, but was it like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K4QHpVXtxI&mode=related&search=

Now that takes good skills!

Capt Wally
30th Dec 2007, 07:54
...............................ya gotta love the C210 U/C ( or any SE cessna gear)...................I once flew into TW with a totally dead batt in a C210 had to pump the gear down, flapless ldg of course & keep an eye out for a green light from the twr. Fortunetly the twr guy got the one & only message I was able to TX& RX b4 the said batt died. After pumping down the gear one of the main legs wasn't quite right so some 'man handling' of the controls & shaking of the plane fixed that!...............& the pax (5 of em')............all Harley riders out for a thrill !!!!:)......never forget that, they thought it was all part of the fun !!
Anyone else had C210 gear probelms?

Good to see that only metal got bent, not flesh in the lattest incident.

CW:)

ForkTailedDrKiller
30th Dec 2007, 08:55
Av8 - are you suggesting that this was a "deliberate" wheels up landing cause they wouldn't come down?

The FTDK and I were over Mareeba when the incident occurred - the impression I got was that it was a case of "Oh f*ck"!

Dr :8

Jabawocky
30th Dec 2007, 09:08
whats that beeping noise.........ahhhh the GPS says we have arrived!:ooh:.............:ouch:.............:{............. ...:ugh:

ForkTailedDrKiller
30th Dec 2007, 09:41
Wally, I had a total electrical failure in a C210. Didn't spot it until the battery was dead. I rang the Briefing Office on my mobile phone to ask if they could arrange for someone on the ground to take a look at the nose wheel after I pumped the gear down.

"Do you wish to declare an emergency", they asked. "No", said I. "Well, we will call the police and firies anyway", said they.

So I arrived over Gladstone and could see flashing lights everywhere below me.

When I pulled the power back to slow down prior to pumping the gear down, the torque change moved the engine slightly and the loose alternator wire reconnected. I got all my electrics back - dropped the gear normally, three greens, flaps down - totally uneventful landing.

the wizard of auz
30th Dec 2007, 10:20
I know a bloke in Mt Isa who pulled the gear into position with a tie-down roap after motor/pump died. George held it straight and level while he hung out the door (pax holding onto his belt) and lassoed the dangling leg. No bull or false bravado...that was good skills

Wasn't that in Port Hedland?........ and I seem to remember there was a bravery award received for that effort.

OZBUSDRIVER
30th Dec 2007, 10:28
There was a photo somewhere of a Gutlass with a gear failure. They fixed the problem by getting a mechanic in a jeep renegade to "formate" with the gutlass as he held off the runway. The photo was of the meco in the jeep pulling the gear down. See if I can find it again

1723KG
30th Dec 2007, 10:52
Wiz Pretty sure that one happened in Port Hedland in the BIVwagon!!
How many times is that now??

Capt Wally
30th Dec 2007, 11:07
..........geee FTDK amazing luck there mate !:)..........see 'talking' does work.......whoooops torque-ing:}
Speaking about flashing lights below I had the same thing in CB late one night on a paper run in a C404 where I didn't have 3 greens. Seeing as the twr was closed & it would have been awfully lonely to crash & burn on my own they (ATC in SYD) got every man & his dog out to 'watch' the event, what else could they do anyway?:) I mean they had everyone there, closed the rds leading to the airport & even had the Mr whippy van keeping the kids disstracted !!.....anyway just a broken wire with no harm done, to the news papers !:}.......but you brought back memories with the flashing lights below:)
There's been a few documented cases where automobiles have been used to assist in getting u/c down, risky that's for sure !

CW

Mr. Hat
30th Dec 2007, 11:53
nah boys its was in charleville.... charleville

av8trflying
31st Dec 2007, 08:06
FTDK

The info I got was that it wouldn't come down.

I knew about it before he landed and then the RFDS plane that was going to land at Atherton diverted to Mareeba and said that all POB were ok.

Unless you know something I dont I am sure it was a landing gear problem.

Cheers:ok:

ForkTailedDrKiller
31st Dec 2007, 08:29
Av8, OK but if it were me I would be parking it on the bitumen at Mareeba rather than the soft grass at Atherton.

av8trflying
31st Dec 2007, 08:41
FTDK

The excuse I heard was that he didnt have enough fuel for Cairns or an instrument app into Mareeba.

I dont know what the weather was like up there but it was not vmc through stoney creek.

But I do know he owns a hangar at Atherton.

close to home I suppose.

ForkTailedDrKiller
31st Dec 2007, 09:01
Av8, I doubt that you would have any trouble getting to Mareeba from the circuit at ATN.

Didn't have the fuel for YBCS? ..... Hmmmmmm!

Chimbu chuckles
31st Dec 2007, 09:36
I am still struggling to get my head around those three in the 182Rg:ooh:

Prop/undercarriage/flaps.

Is this hard?:hmm:

flying-spike
31st Dec 2007, 09:40
Nup, definitely in Mt Isa. I was working there at flight circus at the time. Not to say it hasn't happened somewhere else as well

Clearedtoreenter
31st Dec 2007, 11:07
CC, Some seem to think it was because ANR headsets did too good a job cancelling out the gear warning horn....Those of us who have instructed on those things might understand better(?)

PS was it a 172RG?

morno
31st Dec 2007, 12:30
If you were wearing ANR headsets, it would be easier to hear the horn.

morno

Chimbu chuckles
31st Dec 2007, 13:02
I thought they were noise canceling not brain canceling.