PDA

View Full Version : EK crew in trouble with the law?

Birds2perches
22nd Nov 2000, 17:25
I'm only making an enquiry here. Does anyone know the true story behind the news? Evidently some EK crew have been done for drugs dealing over the net. One is said to be an Aussie. Is it true that the death penalty stands here as printed in the paper? Are there any EK crew out there with the facts rather than rumour? I have seen this before in DXB and I know exactly what the local authorities view drug dealing. If it's true and those crew are at the mercy of the police in DXB, they need to start praying!

Whooaahh
24th Nov 2000, 22:33
Officially the death penalty is available to the Dubai Courts but in reality is it VERY rarely used. It's not beneficial to the tourist industry.

During my 9 years in Dubai, I never heard of a (Western)expat being executed for anything. An asian subcontinent national was executed a few years ago ( by shotgun at close range. Ouch!! ) for the rape and murder of an 8YO Arab girl but this was an extreme case and even I would have exercised my right to the use death sentence if I was the Magistrate on that one.

The Australian EK FA at worst will probably get a life sentence, served either in Dubai or Australia depending on how good the Aussie diplomat's are. The two Arab guys arrested with her are in much deeper **** and their case "could" be used as a deterrent to other Nationals.

IMHO, they were all remarkably naive or amazingly stupid to think that, in Dubai's subtle but obvious Police state, they could get away with it especially over the internet. The MoI supported by Dubai Police has a sizable team of "moderators" keeping a very close eye on internet use in the Emirates.

Either way she won't be saying Chicken or Beef on any aircraft for many years to come.

Whooaahh!!!

Birds2perches
25th Nov 2000, 18:43
Your right in saying they were stupid to think they could get away with it. I don't think they will get the death penalty either, but I expect they'll spend a long time in prison as other crew have in the past for lesser things.

Round Hill
1st Dec 2000, 00:50
Missed the papers - what is the full story on this - where are Cool Emirates when we need them?

Guess the Embassy will help them out and public opinion back at home will put pressure on the government. They probably will not end up with life in jail like the locals - just a great story to sell to the tabloids like all ex-pats who break the local law!

georgexxxus
4th Dec 2000, 00:34
Now shouldn't they have known better?
Just a few months ago, another crewmember was arrested here on hearsay. Police stormed her appartment, found nothing and still managed to take her down to the CID headquarters where she had to give them a urine sample.
Even though the evidence was inconclusive, she spent 4 months in jail and was later deported. I am sorry for the lot now in Ras Al Khaimah but why do they have to get involved with such things when they know of the consequences, only one of the girls arrested in the present case is crew, the other lot aren't and she is only involved in this case by association.
I think the message has sunk clearly now amongst the crew that drugs are a nono here and I am pleased.

HUE JORGAN
4th Dec 2000, 13:40
as usual in dubai people run off at the mouth before getting the facts. there is 1 cabin crew involved in this unfortunate turn of events. female, WELSH not aussie. all are held in ras al kaima charged with dealing hash and coke via an encrypted internet site. all are facing the death penalty if found guilty. no other details released as yet. (not to us anyway...only very high management i would imagine.)

DuncanMac
4th Dec 2000, 20:21
Birds2Perches - there is a detailed thread with regard to this story on page 4 of the Rumours and News section.

D

Birds2perches
6th Dec 2000, 21:39
Thank you. I'll check it out.

workshy
9th Dec 2000, 19:32
georgexxxus - by association?

I don't think so, if you knew the individual involved well enough (enough said).