PDA

View Full Version : RAF stage 2 medical - sight issue

Rocket_123
29th Dec 2007, 21:23
Hi Ladies and Gents,

I need some help and advice! This is the story, sorry if it takes a while!

I recently have been awarded a permanent comission pilot bursary by the RAF, to start in 18 months when I complete my degree. This was on 1/11/07. On the 15/11, I decided to have my eyes tested for the first time, so I would ensure no nasty surprises.

That test gave me an uncorrected VA of R= 6/5 to minus 4 and L=6/5 to minus 2. Basically 6/6 in both.

No problems there so I thought. I went along to my RAF medical 2 weeks ago. Went through it all fine, until I got to my eye test, when the optometrist said my right eye is not good enough for pilot, as she found the VA to be 6/7.5. My left was within limits.

They gave me a permanently medically unfit category for pilot pending appeal, as I submitted that first eye test as evidence. They advised me to appeal.

So I have gone along to 3 more eye exams, using different optometrists, at different companies 2 have found my right eye 6/6 to minus 1 one has found it as 6/7.5. With one more pending this week.

All the optometrists have used different equipment, the RAF, and first eye test (which incedentaly had the best result) used the old 'look into the mirror at the box of letters behind you', while the other ones used digital displays in front of me.

Two of the civvy opticians dimmed the lights in the room during the VA testing, while the RAF and another civvy optician did not.

I have binoc VA of 6/4.5 to minus 1 and my spherical component, cylindrical astigmatism are within limits on all tests.

So basically my right eye is slightly weaker than my left, but why has it varied so much?, and what could I do, if anything, to stop this variation, so I can get the best result if I get re-tested by the RAF?

Thanks for reading this, I know its long winded, but that is the whole story!

Any questions let me know. Looking forward to any advice coming my way.

RAF Standards - VA - Uncorrected 6/6
Near - N5

Ron.