PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Cabin Crew Recruitment

futureflier
29th Dec 2007, 20:38
Happy New Year everyone!

Just a general question regarding Qantas.
Does anyone know whether they will ever employ anymore cabin crews, whether SH or LH?? If so when do you reckon?
Or is the only way to get into QF is to go through MAM?

Thanks!

DEFCON4
30th Dec 2007, 00:05
QF are currently waiting on the approval of EBA8 by their Longhaull Cabin Crew.If the EBA is voted up QF intends to employ(fullTimE)around 2000 Cabin Crew over the next 3 to 5 years.
MAM is history.
The terms and conditions of employment will be superior to those of Jetstar.
Jetstar new hires have just been screwed by the Domestic Flight Attendants Association.
If you want a job in Aviation in Australia then QF Longhaul is for you.
Qantas is about to embark on an enormous expansion programme which will see the delivery of new aircraft every year for the next 6 years.This will allow the network to grow enormously with new destinations being added every year for at least the next 5 years.New Aircraft,New Destinations and full time employment.A great time to join Qantas.

Samara
30th Dec 2007, 00:09
Rumour has it that if the new EBA goes through, that Qantas Long Haul will be employing up to 2000 new flight attendants over the next two years. They will, however, be employed on a totally different contract to existing employees, i.e. less wages and different terms and conditions of employment. No actual date has been set for when the recruitment will commence, I guess it all depends on whether the new EBA agreement is voted for and put into place. MAM's are recruiting constantly and is an alternative way of getting into Qantas Short haul. Once in a blue moon, they do open up a very small amount of vacancies for the opportunity to transfer from MAM's casual into main frame Qantas short haul. This is mainly dependent on which bases are short of crew, i.e. the last transfer was for 20 positions and was for the PER base.

I'm very sure that as soon as Qantas begin it's new recruitment phase for Long Haul, it will be major breaking news as it hasn't happened in over 5 years. Keep your eyes peeled and ears open!!

futureflier
30th Dec 2007, 02:30
Thanks for the replies!
So do we know when will this EBA be voted up/go through?
I'm just asking because I want to get into aviation and have had an offer from JQ but like it has been mentioned earlier, the conditions and pay ain't that great.
Also, I'd much prefer to do long haul!... I guess it's going to be interesting times ahead for Qantas!

smartalec888
30th Dec 2007, 03:05
MAM will most likely stop recruiting as there is surplus crew in QF SH atm. With the amalgamation of a majority Australian Airlines CC into QF SH to PER/MEL/SYD bases. The remaining are in CNS base but are on reserve most of the time. Who knows though, give it time and once the old boilers boil over they might recruit via MAM once the current MAM casuals have been offered full time positions.

Also given the way things are going, alot of QF routes have been taken by JQ... Keep that in mind and draw your own conclusions.

DEFCON4
30th Dec 2007, 03:15
Are you Kidding?
Its About 4..NGO KIX CNS DRW.
Draw your own conclusions.
Chicago, Dallas and Santiago to name but a few new Destinations for Longhaul Mainline.
Qantas has set up QCCA(Qantas CAbin Crew Australia).This vehicle will employ all new hires.
Jet Star Asia flies internationally and most of its CC are employed offshore.
Jet* is a domestic vehicle which has some(3) close international routes

Southside747
30th Dec 2007, 20:40
The new 'B' scale that is being introduced is slightly better than JQ conditons, but not by much. Don't think you will ever get anywhere near the conditions current crew get.

Pegasus747
30th Dec 2007, 21:06
You will actually find on closer inspection that the terms andd conditions under the new long haul EBA for recruits are significantly better than jetstar international.

Base pay about 35K
About 15-20k in meal allowances (avg)
Like current LH crew double time after 12 hours and Double time and a half after 14 hours
6 weeks annual leave
15 days cummulative sick leave
240 hours max in 56 days. Avg 220
additional pay over 240 (not that many will do it)
First class Accomodation and Meal.
Upgrade to Business Class on Duty Travel
Fair Share Roster System
min 18 days of a roster(56 days)
Acccess to promotion CSS 55K and CSM 70 K

futureflier
30th Dec 2007, 21:53
(how on earth did this thread come here? I thought it got deleted!)

The conditions do indeed look better than JQ international and I guess in terms of career progression, QF is better too...somehow I didn't think CSM's were paid that much!
I'll just have to be patient now and look at their recruitment website for something exciting to happen!
Thanks heaps everyone!

White Pointer
30th Dec 2007, 22:34
A fair share roster system for new recruits?

Or is the FAAA trying to hoodwink all new starts to tell them how wonderful a deal they have stiched up for newbies?

What the roster system means for new recruits is that the current longhaulers get to pick what they want out of the available flying, and whatever is left over gets to be distributed among the new starts. Generally this will mean no long range flying (and associated pay), more the short crappy trips with bugger all allowances.

In essence, all the good flying goes to current crew who will work less for more pay, and all the crap flying gets distributed equally among the new recruits. And don't forget you will work so much harder for much less pay.

What is the base salary for a QF longhaul flight attendent going to be? Somewhere around $35k p/a I am told. How much more is this going to total with allowances than a Jetstar F/A?

KRUSTY 34
31st Dec 2007, 00:07
The Jetstar employment contract for new flight attendants is a joke! It is literally 8 pages long and the only thing it garrentees is a base salary of $32.5K P.A. Staff Travel-Maybye! Annual pay review-Maybye! You're not even employed by Jetstar (let alone Qantas). On top of that F/A's can be rostered between short haul and long haul. The sting in the tail of that is that if you do just one long haul duty in each roster period, then any allowances that you may have accrued for that duty will be removed. Why the hell the FAAA agreed to such an abomination is beyond me!

2 of our senior girls recently interviewed for JQ, and despite repeated requests were only sent a copy of the "agreement" after they accepted the offer. Wonder why? They have since withdrawn their application.

IMHO this is just another example of short term manergerial penny pinching and the continuation of the marginalisation of the workforce.

Accept it at your peril people!

Captahab
31st Dec 2007, 00:20
Sounds like the FAAA are about as useful as the AFAP.

They seem to have forgotten who they are supposed to be acting in the interest of.

The problem with these deteriorating work conditions/contracts etc is that they are condoned by the people who are supposed to be acting on our behalf.

Their salaries should be directly linked to that of the people they represent.

That would put a dent in LC's fat package.

Bye
(zero tolerance for hypocrits) Ahab :=

skychild
31st Dec 2007, 04:47
Just a question re the New to be QCCA crew.

At present, crew can transfer between longhaul and shorthaul. Lets say 4 years into QCCA and you wish to start a family. Can a QCCA crew member transfer to shorthaul and if so under what conditions?

Pegasus747
31st Dec 2007, 05:10
there has been no recruitment in Long Haul for about 5 years. Since that time about 1500 crew have been made redundant.

Whilst it would have been great to see recruitment on current Terms and conditions it was not going to happen.

Qantas set up a new company QCCA to recruit about 2500 new long haul crew. Qantas does not need the permission of current crew to do this, it doesnt need to even discuss it with the FAAA the law allows them to do it.

What the FAAA have done is by negotiating with Qantas have achieved significantly better conditions for the new recruits than they would have got without the FAAA.

Further, what it does is captures them as part of one large EBA that combines new recruits , current crew together which has also allowed for the protection of current crew conditions.

If the EBA goes down thats democracy. Qantas will still recruit the 2500 new crew, the only difference will be that they will be on a seperate agreement from current crew and will have flying withdrawn for them before current crew get to bid for anything.

As for what choices they will have in 4 years time, i think they are more concerned about getting a job in OZ rather than Casual at MAM or akl or bkk or london.

If they dont think that the conditions are good they will go to Jetstar or virgin or tiger.

I think that you will find that the conditions for new starts in LH will be streets better than the other airlines are offering.

futureflier
3rd Jan 2008, 12:39
Was just browsing the Qantas recruitment website and under cabin crew for accepting interest, they have two options:
-Qantas Flight Attendants
-Qantas Cabin Crew Australia Pty Limited

I guess under this new thing if I wanted to apply it would be the second option right?