PDA

View Full Version : Non-competition: where is this?

l.garey
29th Dec 2007, 15:06
This post just got shifted from the "Which aerodrome" thread by the mods.
So I hope someone sees it and can help. Thanks!

I hope I am not speaking out of turn. I am not competing in the aerodrome olympics, but have a genuine question about an airfield I want to identify, and the world's experts are on this thread, so I hope you will forgive me for butting in!

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc39/apollo-fox/JSH2.jpg

The photo shows Baker Perkins Aztec G-ARBR in, I think, 1960. Alongside is Dove HB-LAP, and another Dove is visible to the left. The sign on the building at the back makes me think it might be Germany, perhaps Dusseldorf, but the Dove might suggest Switzerland.
Anyone help? Thanks.

bottom rung
30th Dec 2007, 09:38
A quick google suggests Vaihingen-Rohr. Somewhere near Stuttgart I think.

l.garey
30th Dec 2007, 09:59
Thanks for that. Vaihingen and Rohr are indeed 2 suburbs of Stuttgart. They are not particularly close to the present Stuttgart aiprort, nor can I see an airfield nearby on Google Earth.

mustpost
30th Dec 2007, 11:30
Flew into Stuttgart once, old suburbs of Rohr and Vaihingen about four miles away I remember.

Captain Airclues
30th Dec 2007, 13:00
Sorry to be pedantic but I believe that the aircraft is an Apache.

Airclues

l.garey
30th Dec 2007, 13:05
Nope, it is an Aztec 250 c/n 27-170. Became F-BOES in 1966.
Indeed it says "Aztec" on the nacelle.

Captain Airclues
30th Dec 2007, 13:12
l.garey

Many thanks. I will correct my 1970 issue of Ian Allans 'British Civil Aircraft Register'.

Airclues

con-pilot
30th Dec 2007, 18:16
Nope, it is an Aztec 250 c/n 27-170. Became F-BOES in 1966.
Indeed it says "Aztec" on the nacelle.

Captain Airclues, it may have been confused with the Apache 235. The Apache 235 had the same tail as the Aztec, but was only a four place aircraft and had 235 hp engines. The Aztec in the picture was the first version of the Aztec, with a six place interior and 250 hp engines.

A very easy mistake to make.

I use to fly for a Piper Aircraft distributor early in my career and I did fly every type of Piper built from the J-3 to the last series manufactured in the early 70s.