PDA

View Full Version : faa part 141 or 61 IR?

felixflyer
29th Dec 2007, 15:29
Hi

could someone please explain to me the difference between part 141 & 61 training.

I would like to do an FAA IR but dont have the required 50 hrs XC. I have heard you do not need this for a part 141 IR. Is this true? If so what is the reason and would it give me the same privilages as part 61?

Regards

Mike

BHenderson
29th Dec 2007, 17:17
You are correct. I compare part 141 schools with FTOs in the UK. Part 61 is your 'bog-standard' registered facility. Because training under part 141 is done under more controlled circumstances, the dispensation exists. The same licence is issued in the end though.

Part 141 Eligibility for enrollment.
A person must hold at least a private pilot certificate with an aircraft category and class rating appropriate to the instrument rating for which the course applies prior to enrolling in the flight portion of the instrument rating course.

Part 61
Aeronautical experience. A person who applies for an instrument rating must have logged the following:
(1) At least 50 hours of cross-country flight time as pilot in command, of which at least 10 hours must be in airplanes for an instrument -- airplane rating; and
(2) A total of 40 hours of actual or simulated instrument time on the areas of operation of this section, to include--
(i) At least 15 hours of instrument flight training from an authorized instructor in the aircraft category for which the instrument rating is sought...

Ref: http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFAR.nsf/MainFrame?OpenFrameSet

scooby79
29th Dec 2007, 18:59
As there is a 15 hour requirement for instruction but 40 hours of instrument flying required what a lot of people do is build up the instrument and x-country at the same time. If you get a PPL to sit in the right seat who is rated in the a/c you can fly under the hood on a x-country and log it as both. The other benefit to doing it this way is the PPL in the right seat is a required crew member and can therefore also log the flight and share the costs. If you can find someone in the same situation as you it is a way you can both save a lot of money. It would be best to have a few lessons beforehand so you have something to practice and work on during the cross country flights without an instructor. If you are thinking it would be hard to find someone wanting to share costs it isn't, most large schools in the states have people at that stage looking for someone to fly with.

felixflyer
29th Dec 2007, 19:43
Hi

Thanks for the replies, my next question is can anyone recommend a part 141 school for the IR :ok:

Thinking of Naples in Florida but open to suggestions.

Mike

scooby79
29th Dec 2007, 20:04
Why part 141? If you are going to get a CPL you need the hours anyway. Just curious. I went to NAC for my PPL in 2001 and it was a very good school with very good instructors, haven't been back sice but if it is anything like it was then you can't do much better than Naples.

1Bingo
29th Dec 2007, 20:08
Felixflyer,

The main difference between Parts 61 and 141 is the standardization of training. Part 61 requirements are described in the FARs and can be accomplished by any instructor with category and class rating required. Part 141 is more regulated in that the student is required train and perform maneuvers, knowledge, etc according to standards in various stages of the program. The student will also accomplish stage checks enroute to the eventual checkride.

This also means that the instructor must be Part 141 certified by the program chief, or his designee, which helps to ensure a standardization of training in the program. The jist of all this is that as a student, you can expect a level of training standards that might not be received through Part 61 training.

If you are going to pay bucks for training, I would recommend a Part 141 program as there is more assurance that you get what you are paying for.

Good luck,

1 Bingo

felixflyer
29th Dec 2007, 22:15
Hi

Im doing my JAA training and wanted an IMC to make the hour building in the UK easier, and also because i enjoy IFR flying. I was going to get an IMC but with the exchange rate as it is im thinking of just getting an FAA/IR which wil give me an IMC as well.

I may just spend the cash on building my hours in the US instead.

Mike

B2N2
31st Dec 2007, 11:40
As there is a 15 hour requirement for instruction but 40 hours of instrument flying required

Don't forget that this requirement/regulation is prehistoric.
Nobody will pass an IR checkride with only 15 hrs of instruction and 25 hrs of self "practice".
Also keep in mind that in order to log 40 hrs of actual or simulated you will have appr. 46-50 hrs of airplane rental time. Taxi time, take-off and landing is conducted in VFR so if a training flight is 1.5 hrs you an log a max of 1.2 0r 1.3 as Instrument.
For an Instrument rating you need to count on 0.5-1 hrs of briefing and de briefing time per flight and at least 35 hrs of formal ground school.
The IR is not as much self study as the PPL is. You can't learn how to fly from a book to begin with let alone IR.